Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

The New Hypex Fusion Plate amps
The New Hypex Fusion Plate amps
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2019, 06:30 PM   #1591
Fenalaar is offline Fenalaar  Norway
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick77 View Post
Question about the 2 channel amp version in either the 250X2 or 500X2,
can use use analog rca inputs and configure both channels separately for frequency range with the DSP??

I saw you can use digital input but would rather send analog from DAC instead.

Thanks
Just be aware that you cannot use both left and right signal on one plate amp and send them to separate amp channels. You need two plate amps for stereo.

Johan-Kr
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2019, 07:22 AM   #1592
daemonsgr is offline daemonsgr  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: London (UK) / sometimes Greece
Do people use hypex 2/3 way with a home theatre system were other speakers are passive from the AVR?

Regarding delay...

For example, main are hypex from preout rca and surround are ‘normal’ passive power from denon.
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2019, 07:53 PM   #1593
Juhazi is offline Juhazi  Finland
diyAudio Member
 
Juhazi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Jyväskylä, Finland
Delay/distance adjustment is a standard feature for AVRs. Most of them use a measurement mic and automatics. L/C/R delay matching is easy by ear too.
__________________
Radikal aktivist AINOgradient speaker project
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2019, 06:21 AM   #1594
mattsk8 is offline mattsk8  United States
diyAudio Member
 
mattsk8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: West MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc PLAISANT View Post
Hello
I'm Marc from France
I am interrested in buying two FA252 or two FA502 to amplify my two way passive studio monitor, but I read all the 151 pages and I'm very surprised...
So many bugs, so many problems... not so easy tu use...
At this time, can you tell me If Hypex have fixed all those problems ?
Thanks
Marc
I have 2 FA503 amps, and at this time I am not very happy with their performance. The software is absolutely "glitchy". I had to argue with someone at Hypex recently via email just to figure out how to get some of the functions to work because I couldn't figure out what I was supposed to be downloading. Now that I have the new version of the software and the firmware updated, I still can't get more than preset #1 to load, preset 2 and 3 are pretty much worthless. Actually less than worthless because I have no idea what DSP settings are getting sent to my speakers, they're just super loud and sound awful when I select either #2 or #3. Preset 1 is the only one I can get to load.

The speakers I'm using these amps on consist of a Scanspeak 6600 tweeter, a 8 ohm 6.5" Satori midrange (the midrange version), and two 8 ohm Dayton Audio RSS210H0 woofers per cabinet. I ordered the Hypex amps with the hopes of doing a full active speaker, but the DSP kills the dynamics so I ended up doing a passive mid to tweeter xover, which sounds much better than the DSP did and also means now I have a channel in the amp that I'm not using.

But my biggest issue is that these amps sound like a cheap home theater receiver IMO, the dynamic range sounds crushed, they sound muffled no matter what I do with them. And at this point I don't want to waste my time arguing with the Hypex representative again, so I'm trying to figure out if there's a setting somewhere that I'm missing. It's pretty frustrating to say the least when these are roughly $1500 in amplifiers.

This isn't the first active system I've done (and I've done many passive speakers), prior to this I did a system using a DBX driverack. And while the Driverack was slightly noisier, it didn't crush the dynamics like these amps do. And that isn't me saying these are quiet, I can hear fuzz in the midrange at very low volume in these too, just not quite as audible as it was with the DBX. And I get that we need to be patient while learning all the glitches and figuring out how the (oddly laid out) DSP works and which settings are supposed be utilized, but I ordered these hoping to avoid things like that.
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2019, 06:33 AM   #1595
Juhazi is offline Juhazi  Finland
diyAudio Member
 
Juhazi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Jyväskylä, Finland
The software and instructions are a mess, yes. I have used only one pair of FA123, and they don't give buzz and dynamics is OK. Fortunately the settings must be done only once!

I think that FA series is worth the money and frustration when learning.
__________________
Radikal aktivist AINOgradient speaker project
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2019, 10:35 AM   #1596
YSDR is offline YSDR  Europe
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsk8 View Post
I have 2 FA503 amps, and at this time I am not very happy with their performance. The software is absolutely "glitchy". I had to argue with someone at Hypex recently via email just to figure out how to get some of the functions to work because I couldn't figure out what I was supposed to be downloading. Now that I have the new version of the software and the firmware updated, I still can't get more than preset #1 to load, preset 2 and 3 are pretty much worthless. Actually less than worthless because I have no idea what DSP settings are getting sent to my speakers, they're just super loud and sound awful when I select either #2 or #3. Preset 1 is the only one I can get to load.

The speakers I'm using these amps on consist of a Scanspeak 6600 tweeter, a 8 ohm 6.5" Satori midrange (the midrange version), and two 8 ohm Dayton Audio RSS210H0 woofers per cabinet. I ordered the Hypex amps with the hopes of doing a full active speaker, but the DSP kills the dynamics so I ended up doing a passive mid to tweeter xover, which sounds much better than the DSP did and also means now I have a channel in the amp that I'm not using.

But my biggest issue is that these amps sound like a cheap home theater receiver IMO, the dynamic range sounds crushed, they sound muffled no matter what I do with them. And at this point I don't want to waste my time arguing with the Hypex representative again, so I'm trying to figure out if there's a setting somewhere that I'm missing. It's pretty frustrating to say the least when these are roughly $1500 in amplifiers.

This isn't the first active system I've done (and I've done many passive speakers), prior to this I did a system using a DBX driverack. And while the Driverack was slightly noisier, it didn't crush the dynamics like these amps do. And that isn't me saying these are quiet, I can hear fuzz in the midrange at very low volume in these too, just not quite as audible as it was with the DBX. And I get that we need to be patient while learning all the glitches and figuring out how the (oddly laid out) DSP works and which settings are supposed be utilized, but I ordered these hoping to avoid things like that.
Comments like this are hard to place where they belong.
Is the author a troll (sorry)? Or does he just not know what he is doing or how the purchased device works (sorry again)?

What does it mean that you do not know what preset 2 or 3 does and that it is worthless? The same filter functions can be uploaded for them as for 1. Or does this feature not work properly for you? It is possible that the digital gain is at maximum or above 0, thus distorting the sound or limiting the dynamics.

The specification mentions THD+N above 100dB, S/N is even better. Do you think that is not enough? Hard to believe.
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2019, 11:00 AM   #1597
seez is offline seez
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by daemonsgr View Post
Do people use hypex 2/3 way with a home theatre system were other speakers are passive from the AVR?

Regarding delay...

For example, main are hypex from preout rca and surround are ‘normal’ passive power from denon.
I am doing this with Rotel RSX-1056 and 3e audio TPA3255 for the fronts. Rear channels are amplified by built in amp from Rotel. Works well.
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2019, 11:22 AM   #1598
YSDR is offline YSDR  Europe
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Ohh, and the Satori MR16P-8 is not a super sensitive midrange driver with it's 88dB/2.83V. Even, people with around 100dB/2.83V drivers does not mentions noise problems with FA.

Might be some problems with the device setup or DSP adjustment.

Last edited by YSDR; 24th September 2019 at 11:33 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2019, 03:40 PM   #1599
mattsk8 is offline mattsk8  United States
diyAudio Member
 
mattsk8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: West MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by YSDR View Post
Comments like this are hard to place where they belong.
Is the author a troll (sorry)? Or does he just not know what he is doing or how the purchased device works (sorry again)?

What does it mean that you do not know what preset 2 or 3 does and that it is worthless? The same filter functions can be uploaded for them as for 1. Or does this feature not work properly for you? It is possible that the digital gain is at maximum or above 0, thus distorting the sound or limiting the dynamics.

The specification mentions THD+N above 100dB, S/N is even better. Do you think that is not enough? Hard to believe.
I am not a "troll". I have designed speakers for many years, I did a passive 3 way for SB Acoustics that was demoed at AXPONA last April and I have "kits" that I designed at Meniscus Audio. Not sure why a "troll" would be here complaining about the software glitches/sound quality in a plate amplifier, and based on my experience thus far with these amps I'm nearly positive that I'm not the first person that has had issues with these Fusion amps.

When I say "presets 2 and 3 are worthless", I mean they're worthless. I can get preset one to load, but whether I load preset 2 or 3 using "load current preset", or even if I use "load all presets" with my current filters... 1 measures the way I designed it to measure (therefor it sounds good), and 2 and 3 sound terrible and are MUCH louder than preset 1. Using "load all presets", it stands to reason that all 3 presets should sound the same.

Kind of curious where your doubt stems from; are you a Hypex representative?
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2019, 03:45 PM   #1600
mattsk8 is offline mattsk8  United States
diyAudio Member
 
mattsk8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: West MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by YSDR View Post
Ohh, and the Satori MR16P-8 is not a super sensitive midrange driver with it's 88dB/2.83V. Even, people with around 100dB/2.83V drivers does not mentions noise problems with FA.

Might be some problems with the device setup or DSP adjustment.
It isn't super loud but there is audible "fuzz" at very low volume levels. As far as setup goes, it is possible that I missed something somewhere. Which is kind of what brought me here. I was searching for the issues that I've been having (since the Hypex customer support is borderline worthless), and found this thread and figured I would throw my experience out there. Hopefully it is just a setting somewhere.

For what it is worth, I'm using an older B&K Reference 50 preamp, and a Bluesound for the music played through it, or a CDP for sweeps when I measure the FR of the speakers. I have the amplifiers connected to the preamp via XLR cables, and I do have the XLR setting on in the "device setup" section.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


The New Hypex Fusion Plate ampsHide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hypex Plate Amps madtrapper Class D 1 14th March 2014 05:21 PM
Opinions wanted on using the Hypex 2.4 plate amps? SpinMonster Multi-Way 2 3rd April 2012 08:26 AM
Hypex plate amps chatziva Class D 3 29th July 2010 03:33 PM
HYPEX plate amps Glen1 Subwoofers 0 27th January 2006 02:22 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 07:14 PM.


Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 14.29%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2019 diyAudio
Wiki