The New Hypex Fusion Plate amps

Folks, these Fusion amps seem very capable (I know hypex amplifiers are great) but after reading this thread I'm still confused if the ADC/DAC conversion and volume control are good enough to justify removing a separate high quality DAC. My setup includes big open baffle woofers for which I will need Fusion in bridged mode + speakers to do 100Hz+ duty. I really like my R2R DAC, it has a mix of analog and digital volume control that works very well. I am really worried that Fusion's ADC/DAC process will remove the sound signature of this DAC. I'm also worried that feeding Fusion digitally and not using any other DAC will make it sound just average. So I drew 4 scenarios and will be very glad for recommending the best sounding option.

1695657617394.png

Reactions: 1 user
Using any other DAC making it sound just average is a valid fear, as audibly neutral and accurate can seem "just average" if you prefer the distortion and coloration of a R2R DAC.

R2R ladder dacs are very simple in design (I designed and built my first one in 1975 or so), but they have been superseded long ago with better designs for a good reason (linearity being a major issue).

In any case, unless the DAC is on purpose designed to have a "sound" (distortion and coloration), differences in DACs will be totally masked by the speakers, room and source material.

Reactions: 1 users
I would advise to go for scenario 2 and invest in getting as low jitter/noise on digital input as possible. There is a significant gain in sound quality possible by doing that.

Or alternatively, buy separate Hypex amps (NC252 or so) and MiniDSP Flex 8 HT or similar. Though I did not hear that one myself yet.

I would advise to go for scenario 2 and invest in getting as low jitter/noise on digital input as possible. There is a significant gain in sound quality possible by doing that.

Or alternatively, buy separate Hypex amps (NC252 or so) and MiniDSP Flex 8 HT or similar. Though I did not hear that one myself yet.
I agree with Fedde, option 2, but indeed like with all affordable DAC's the digital input is extremely sensitive to jitter, connecting my Fusions to the AES/EBU output of a Grimm MU1 streamer brought a big smile to my face.
regards, Peter

Good question. A few options:
  • Get a high quality streamer (with low jitter).
  • Put an S/P-DIF reclocker / isolator in the chain.
  • Use a PC setup with good low jitter DDC (e.g. JL sounds or better). Do some OS tweaks, have a good player, good USB card (e.g. JCAT).
How about just get a modern DAC with an ASRC, so jitter isn't an issue? There are some very affordable DACs that are very good.,

How about just get a modern DAC with an ASRC, so jitter isn't an issue? There are some very affordable DACs that are very good.,
Well, there is actually an ASRC in Fusion. But it does not solve the jitter, or jitter causes an audible degradation due to the ASRC processing, who knows. In the end, improvements in digital domain help audio quality a lot...

I would rather have a synchronously clocked DAC with very good quality clock, good isolation and then async operation back via USB, but ok. This is what I will be investing as next audio upgrade, but such a multi channel setup will cost much more than a Hypex plateamp...

Option 5?

For convenience I feed my FAs analog signal, either L or R channel. Source is either Yamaha WXC-50 or Cambridge Audio AVR. (my minidsp 2x4HD gets analog from Yamaha RX-V685)
I can't hear any noise or jitter etc. artefacts. I have measured only loudspeakers... and then no changes if I change signal routing. Analog to FA is just for simplicity and transparency to users, my family. FA (or minidsp and power amps) have power on 24/7.

I think that any way the FA is not causing problems or coloring soud, it must be other units or bad settings like signal levels.

Reactions: 2 users