Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

The New Hypex Fusion Plate amps
The New Hypex Fusion Plate amps
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th August 2019, 04:28 PM   #1471
Frederik93 is offline Frederik93
diyAudio Member

Hi guys,

I was wondering if someone has compared the analogue with the digital inputs already. Do they sound different from one another?

Best regards,
Frederik
Old 25th August 2019, 08:43 PM   #1472
YSDR is offline YSDR  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederik93 View Post
Hi guys,

I was wondering if someone has compared the analogue with the digital inputs already. Do they sound different from one another?

Best regards,
Frederik
Hi Frederik!

I compared the analog and digital inputs earlier and I wrote that I could not hear the difference between the two connections, but only after a brief listening (which was not even set to the same sound level) did I come to this conclusion.

Recently, I did a level-matched test, and I found an improvement in clarity with digital connection. But this is only for one channel, as I would need a digital coax cable of at least 3 meters to connect two Fusionamps together, but I think I will try the stereo mode soon.

In fact, it is not fair to compare the two connections, since the analog input is more heavily dependent on the analog device before Fusionamp, which can easily push its properties to the sound.

Otherwise, both modes work fine and I use analog for the time being, because Fusionamp has too few digital inputs for me, don't have the remote and I am a little afraid that the volume might be reset to digital 0 when I turn it on without noticing it on time.

Anyway I, too, would be curious as to what others experience is.
Old 26th August 2019, 05:50 AM   #1473
davewantsmoore is offline davewantsmoore  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Cowan. It's merely jewellery. There is value in that, like all exclusive/designer wares. Just don't get caught in the trap of thinking you could hear the difference between a competent $100 DAC and a $10K one in any form of meaningful test. Our ears are not very good at some things and our brain is superb at filling in the missing information (from all our senses).
1000%
Old 26th August 2019, 08:57 AM   #1474
GeorgeBLN79 is offline GeorgeBLN79  Germany
diyAudio Member

Dear Community,

is it possible to connect following drivers to a Hypex FusionAmp FA123 Unit?

- Two Visaton TIW 250 XS Bass Drivers (each driver having 8 Ohm Impedance) connected to the same Output cable of the FusionAmp Channel 1

- Two Visaton TIW 250 XS Bass Drivers (each driver having 8 Ohm Impedance) connected to the same Output cable of the FusionAmp Channel 2

Or should each driver have it's own FusionAmp Channel?

This closed cabinet should be a subwoofer module for floor standing speakers. It should deliver good and linear SPL from 30 Hz to 80 Hz.

The frequency response in a 80 liter closed cabinet looks good according to the program "Boxsim" which is a simulation program for speaker design from Visaton.

Thank you very much,
George from Berlin
Old 26th August 2019, 10:25 AM   #1475
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeBLN79 View Post
Dear Community,

is it possible to connect following drivers to a Hypex FusionAmp FA123 Unit?

- Two Visaton TIW 250 XS Bass Drivers (each driver having 8 Ohm Impedance) connected to the same Output cable of the FusionAmp Channel 1

- Two Visaton TIW 250 XS Bass Drivers (each driver having 8 Ohm Impedance) connected to the same Output cable of the FusionAmp Channel 2

Or should each driver have it's own FusionAmp Channel?

This closed cabinet should be a subwoofer module for floor standing speakers. It should deliver good and linear SPL from 30 Hz to 80 Hz.

The frequency response in a 80 liter closed cabinet looks good according to the program "Boxsim" which is a simulation program for speaker design from Visaton.

Thank you very much,
George from Berlin
If you connect parallel each pair of drivers, you get 4 Ohm nominal impedance for each channel so i don't see any problem with this.
Old 26th August 2019, 05:04 PM   #1476
gnl is offline gnl
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeBLN79 View Post

You realise that all channels of a single FusionAmp get their signal via the DSP from the same input signal: L, R or L+R ? For stereo you will need two FusionAmps.
Old 26th August 2019, 07:33 PM   #1477
Turbowatch2 is offline Turbowatch2  Germany
diyAudio Member

As he only wants to use them from 30-80 Hz L+R this is perfectly OK, these frequency´s are monophonic anyway.
Old 27th August 2019, 06:38 PM   #1478
Frederik93 is offline Frederik93
diyAudio Member

Hi YSDR,

I too would be interested in some opinions on how the inputs compare in terms of sound.

Best regards,
Frederik
Old 29th August 2019, 08:46 AM   #1479
GeorgeBLN79 is offline GeorgeBLN79  Germany
diyAudio Member

Dear community,

just another general question about the gain you can apply on different stages. How do you ensure that the unit does not go into internal clipping regarding the DSP processing itself?

For example in the top panel of HFD you can adjust the gain for each amplifier channel. Does this mean i can put +8 dB level on the bass driver and adjust the mid and high range according to it? And how much can i push the level with filters for example placing a filter at 30 Hz with +6 to +12 dB gain without driving the DSP into any clipping? And you can push the Inputs for the preset level alignment itself, too. I just want to be sure that i don't overdrive the signal processing into clipping.

I couldn't find any information in the manual about the overall range that needs to be considered.

Thank you very much,
George

Last edited by GeorgeBLN79; 29th August 2019 at 08:59 AM.
Old 29th August 2019, 07:49 PM   #1480
diyAudio Member

Ok boys and girls, today I did a longer analogue vs. digital input comparative listening test with Fusionamps in stereo mode now. The volume level was set exactly relative to each other, fortunately the HFD can be set to tenths of dB, which was needed.
The analog input chain was: PC with JRiver (Wasapi, ASIO) -> NAD C510 USB Input, XLR Output -> FA XLR Input
And the digital input chain was: PC with JRiver (Wasapi) -> Onboard Realtek S/PDIF out -> FA S/PDIF in
Later, I used a Pioneer BDP-LX58 player as a source instead of a PC.

As expected, the test was won by the digital input in this case.
At the analogue input, slight veiling was observed compared to the digital input. On the other hand, the digital input has come with tiny, subtle details combined with richness that has made reproduction more meaningful. The bass sounds seemed to go deeper and had a better resolution with a better attack. The mid and treble tones were more open, detailed, richer and airier.
The analog input chain presentation was slightly flatter.

I do not know what could be the main reason for the weaker performance of the analog chain. Maybe the NAD, or the analog interconnect (Klotz+Neutrik star-quad cable), or the FA ADC circuitry, but more likely, all of these.
By the way, both chains sound good, but the digital was clearly better in this setup, which I'm not too happy with because Fusionamp, as I mentioned, has few digital inputs for me (there could be at least one additional USB input) and nothing except the HFD informs you of the current volume and input.

Welcome MiniDSP SHD (Studio)?

The New Hypex Fusion Plate ampsHide this!Advertise here!