Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

The New Hypex Fusion Plate amps
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th August 2019, 08:13 PM   #1461
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by denibeni View Post
A sligthly off-topic but funny, this DAC is still good for the human ear despite the awful measurement results, ohh for over a ridiculous 13.000 Euro.

Review and Measurements of Totaldac d1-six DAC | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

"Oh, but what does scicence know about what we *feel*"
Old 16th August 2019, 06:15 AM   #1462
YSDR is offline YSDR  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julf View Post
"Oh, but what does scicence know about what we *feel*"
And I think someone is putting this DAC higher in the list from a subjective point of view than a properly built one without knowing why. But here it is clear why, it is full of distortion and other garbage that is not included in the original audio.
Old 16th August 2019, 07:03 AM   #1463
KaffiMann is offline KaffiMann  Norway
Fanatic
diyAudio Member

Allright, as someone that has not followed the thread, can anyone help me understand the properties of the Fusion 253?

It says in the specs:
THD(D+N) (at -1dBFS) DA -102.5
So, under the very best of conditions, the total resolution including noise floor is 102.5db.
Is there any noticeable hiss or noise when using compression drivers?
What is the idle noise on outputs?

The tweeter channel, does it come with any limitations other than reduced power output?
If I choose to do so, is it theoretically possible to use the tweeter amp for a sub?

All the outputs seem to be rated at 4ohms?
Is there any trickery in the circuits, or will the power be essentially half the rated output when used with 8ohm loads?
Old 16th August 2019, 07:20 AM   #1464
tmuikku is offline tmuikku  Finland
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to tmuikku
Doesn' the fusion amps have the nc100hf module for tweeter? It is an add-on module for the ncxxxmp amplifiers, says datasheet.

Hypex Electronics B.V.
"The NC100HF is a dedicated tweeter-amplifier which fits the NCxxxMP series. It is a NCore amplifier that works with the NCxxxMP modules to create a second or third channel for the amplifier. It operates from the on-board SMPS of the NCxxxMP module and is compatible with the whole range. This makes it possible to build a complete NCore based system in a heartbeat.

By design, NCore has a full range frequency response and power bandwidth. However this module is
designed to be used for mid- and high frequencies only, i.e. starting at approximately 500Hz."

Datasheet says output noise voltage is 30uV for the nc100hf. I've got Chinese Sure Jab2 amp at home, it's datasheet says noise voltage is 185uV, a whoppin 16dB more. Sure Jab2 is too noisy with compression driver at home.. if it truly was 16dB below that should be ok I think.

If it is the NC250MP for the other two amps, they seem to be 130W to 8ohm. https://www.hypex.nl/documenten/download/916

ps. Never heard fusion amp, but considering buying

Last edited by tmuikku; 16th August 2019 at 07:43 AM.
Old 16th August 2019, 08:07 AM   #1465
Shutdown98 is online now Shutdown98  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I use tweeters with spl of 100dB.
No noise or hiss.
Idle hiss is noticeable when you listen at 5cm from driver.
I think the amps sound fantastic. Before the Hypex i have had a Bryston B60 sst (4-5k). I did not take a step back.
Old 16th August 2019, 02:18 PM   #1466
mlee is offline mlee  Canada
diyAudio Member

I also use the amp with a compression driver with no resistor inline. No hiss can be heard.
Old 16th August 2019, 04:32 PM   #1467
Juhazi is offline Juhazi  Finland
diyAudio Member

Some units obviously have been faulty or deliverd without OS installed.
Performance is super fine, I have a pari of FA123. No hiss or bad sounds.
Setting up good parameters for xo is not easy, but that applies to all dsp systems.
Old 21st August 2019, 10:55 AM   #1468
KaffiMann is offline KaffiMann  Norway
Fanatic
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys.
Just noticed they claim 200w/channel in 8ohms? + 100w in any load for the HF, but limited to >500hz.
Nice noise figures overall.

The 253 is about 440€ each, so two = 880€ + taxes, shipping and such, so it very quickly goes up to around 1200€ perhaps a tiny bit more.
I do have a pre stage that can be used, just wondering if it might not be better to get some PA gear instead, I do not really need any more amps this very instant, just looking at options for next year.
Old 21st August 2019, 04:46 PM   #1469
Fenalaar is offline Fenalaar  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaffiMann View Post
I do have a pre stage that can be used, just wondering if it might not be better to get some PA gear instead, I do not really need any more amps this very instant, just looking at options for next year.
The Fusion amps do not really need a pre stage. You need to connect analog connections to each of them, and then connect the two together with an spdif connection. Add a remote kit, and you can control both volume and input selection.

Johan-Kr
Old 21st August 2019, 06:20 PM   #1470
menlobob is offline menlobob
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenalaar View Post
The Fusion amps do not really need a pre stage. You need to connect analog connections to each of them, and then connect the two together with an spdif connection. Add a remote kit, and you can control both volume and input selection.

Johan-Kr
This is probably the one design flaw that’s keeping me from pulling the trigger on a pair of these. It would be great if the digital signal coming out of the master’s ADC was synced along with the control signals to the slaves through the spdif. I’ve got some pre run coax I can use for the spdif distribution but would have to run xlrs to distribute the analog.

The New Hypex Fusion Plate ampsHide this!Advertise here!