Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

The New Hypex Fusion Plate amps
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th July 2019, 06:14 PM   #1411
TBTL is offline TBTL  Germany
diyAudio Member

See p. 17 on the FA122 manual. https://www.hypex.nl/documenten/download/1720

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypex FA122 manual, p. 17
The FusionAmp serie is powered by our range of mains
powered Ncore modules. For more information on
their performance you can download the relevant
datasheet from our website.

FA122: NC122MP
FA123: NC122MP + NC100HF
FA251: NC250MP
FA252: NC252MP
FA253: NC252MP + NC100HF
FA501: NC500MP
FA502: NC502MP
FA503: NC502MP + NC100HF
Old 11th July 2019, 07:13 PM   #1412
Logic800 is offline Logic800  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Excellent, thank you. I had missed that! Any recommendations on buying a FA122 in the EU?
Old 11th July 2019, 07:38 PM   #1413
Logic800 is offline Logic800  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

OK, now gone with UK supplier with competitive price for FA122. Going use a Korg NuTube as the basis of the preamp. Will report back later in 2019 with results, hopefully!
Old 11th July 2019, 08:06 PM   #1414
morbo is offline morbo  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hello friends; I have a set of Hypex FA123 plate amps that I have yet to start using. My intention is to build a large active floorstanding 3-way.

I am wondering what the *minimum* impedance load is for the woofer section channels? I am looking at running 3 x SB20PFC30-04 per bass section, and modelling these in parallel they dip down to 1.3-1.5ohms in places.

I've read that they ncore amps are stable to 2ohm, with a minimum impedance of 1ohm, but am not sure if this applies to the fusion plate amps as well? Anyone have any experience or knowledge here?
Old 13th July 2019, 06:36 AM   #1415
denibeni is offline denibeni  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morbo View Post
Hello friends; I have a set of Hypex FA123 plate amps that I have yet to start using. My intention is to build a large active floorstanding 3-way.

I am wondering what the *minimum* impedance load is for the woofer section channels? I am looking at running 3 x SB20PFC30-04 per bass section, and modelling these in parallel they dip down to 1.3-1.5ohms in places.

I've read that they ncore amps are stable to 2ohm, with a minimum impedance of 1ohm, but am not sure if this applies to the fusion plate amps as well? Anyone have any experience or knowledge here?
Poor amp with that impedance load.
The Nc MP amps tops output power at 4 Ohm and the best efficiency is around 8 Ohm. If you go lower in speaker impedance, the amps efficiency decreases, distortion increases, more heat generated and the Fusionamps are temperature and current limited devices.

Either way, you can ask Hypex, i think they know it best and have a good support.

Last edited by denibeni; 13th July 2019 at 06:38 AM.
Old 13th July 2019, 07:29 AM   #1416
ds23man is offline ds23man  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Use the 8 ohm version.
Old 13th July 2019, 07:30 AM   #1417
cowanaudio is online now cowanaudio  Australia
diyAudio Member

The amp channels appear OK with low impedance loads but the on board power supply is not up to the task when running two of the three channels slightly below 4R near full output. HF channel was 16R. We were running pre production speakers at their limits during this test. This is my experience with the FA503, the lower power versions may be different.
Old 13th July 2019, 08:22 AM   #1418
denibeni is offline denibeni  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds23man View Post
Use the 8 ohm version.
Or 4 piece of 4 Ohm in series-parallel wiring for 4 Ohm total load.
Old 15th July 2019, 02:48 AM   #1419
morbo is offline morbo  Canada
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the input everyone. I did hear from Hypex about this, their answer:

Quote:
When the impedance is lower than 2 ohm, you aren’t able to use the full power of the amp as the output is current limited to max 12.5A.

You’ll have a max power of 75W to 100W per output until the current limiter is activated.

At 2 ohm, the maximum output power 115W so even then it is already limited. We do not encourage to go lower than 2 ohms.
So I am reconsidering my plans, so the impedance of my bass section will not dip down below 2ohm, current plans have minimum impedance ~2.8ohm.
Old 17th July 2019, 10:33 AM   #1420
EngelholmAudio is offline EngelholmAudio
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to EngelholmAudio
Quote:
Originally Posted by m@ View Post
Finally get around to installing and configuring my FA123 and I get:

Productcode: Unknown

And the HFD refuses to upload presets.

WTH is going on with Hypex that they would ship a fresh off the line module (mine was the first or second batch) without testing them?

I read here that they'll send you a software tool to fix this. Why not just post this publicly since it's obviously a known issue? It's not available anywhere that I've looked.

I've emailed sales but I'm guessing everyone is home drinking eggnog and this won't get resolved until after the holidays.

Merry xmas.

I'll never buy another Hypex product again.
I have the same proble, albeit an FA503 amp.
Surprisingly enough, only ONE is faulty out of the two I bought at the same time/order.

I have tried the usual trix...reboot, update firmware (1.3) and update to the HFD is in 4.83.

Was there a software fix for this? If so, please provide me with it...or are there any other fixes for this now?

The New Hypex Fusion Plate ampsHide this!Advertise here!