The New Hypex Fusion Plate amps

The information that the config files cannot be swapped between different FusionAmp models came from Hypex support. They did mention that it could be done by modifying the file.

My first attemps showed too many differences. Also the information produced by different versions of HFD was inconsistent, but apparently not a problem anymore.

The following summary shows that HFD v4.97 uses productnr="18" for all FusionAmps except for the FAxx1's which get productnr="17".
Going from FA122 to FA503 the fusionamp="2" is increased to fusionamp="9".

Code:
Produced with HFD 4.97:

FA122:
<device productnr="18" buildnr="0" procsamplingrate="93750" selectedpreset="1" gainlowered="false" fusionamp="2" presetcount="3" fircapable="false">

FA123:
<device productnr="18" buildnr="0" procsamplingrate="93750" selectedpreset="1" gainlowered="false" fusionamp="3" presetcount="3" fircapable="false">

FA251:
<device productnr="17" buildnr="0" procsamplingrate="93750" selectedpreset="1" gainlowered="false" fusionamp="4" presetcount="3" fircapable="false">

FA252:
<device productnr="18" buildnr="0" procsamplingrate="93750" selectedpreset="1" gainlowered="false" fusionamp="5" presetcount="3" fircapable="false">

FA253:
<device productnr="18" buildnr="0" procsamplingrate="93750" selectedpreset="1" gainlowered="false" fusionamp="6" presetcount="3" fircapable="false">

FA501:
<device productnr="17" buildnr="0" procsamplingrate="93750" selectedpreset="1" gainlowered="false" fusionamp="7" presetcount="3" fircapable="false">

FA502:
<device productnr="18" buildnr="0" procsamplingrate="93750" selectedpreset="1" gainlowered="false" fusionamp="8" presetcount="3" fircapable="false">

FA503:
<device productnr="18" buildnr="0" procsamplingrate="93750" selectedpreset="1" gainlowered="false" fusionamp="9" presetcount="3" fircapable="false">

Yesterday a FA123 config file was tested successfully with FA253's.

This FA123 config file was modified for FA253 (fusionamp="3" -> "6") and further adapted in HFD v4.97 to correct the gain of channel 3.

This saved me a lot of work. Thanks mysterious and cowanaudio for your input.

I use FA plate amps for a while now and I do appreciate them.

What I missed the most on use is to be able to see the volume and the preset chosen from my listening position.

I think that a revisited remote control kit a little bigger with a display to show at the volume and preset would be a very nice addition from Hypex.

What do you think ?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but it's very difficult to find this information: How big load can the FusionAmps drive? Will it be happy with 16 Ohm drivers or even more? The manuals of the MP-modules say "Loudspeaker impedance range Min: 2, Typical: 4, Max: -".
So I can drive anything, like 100 Ohms, but the voltage won't be great?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but it's very difficult to find this information: How big load can the FusionAmps drive? Will it be happy with 16 Ohm drivers or even more? The manuals of the MP-modules say "Loudspeaker impedance range Min: 2, Typical: 4, Max: -".
So I can drive anything, like 100 Ohms, but the voltage won't be great?

Like fedde says the limiting factor is the voltage. In practice you can load it with an arbitrarily high impedance as long as you stay within the maximum voltage swing.

If the amp can handle 250W @ 4 ohm that translates into:
125W @ 8 ohm
63W @ 16 ohm
31W @ 32 ohm
16W @ 64 ohm
8W @ 128 ohm

So unless you have a high impedance woofer array where you need every watt you can get then loading with a higher impedance is no problem at all.

Last edited:
I miss a feature in Hypex Filter Designer and wish it was implemented:
To have a text-file export for channel filters and equalizer function. At the moment, it is necessary during filter development to note the individual filter settings by hand, if I did not miss something. With up to 15 biquads per channel plus EQ settings, this is a lot of documentation work. It would be much easier if there was a protocol function.

I think what jccart is asking is: (apologies if I'm wrong)
Does the AES input bypass the digital converter, or does the analog input bypass the converter?

I'd like to know as well.

Being a class D amp, I would assume that the AES input goes directly to the amp's circuit, whereas the analog input has to be A-D converted first.
- And thus the AES connection has the potential to sound slightly better. (Especially if your processor has an AES output.)

But I'm guessing. Does anyone know?

Being a class D amp, I would assume that the AES input goes directly to the amp's circuit, whereas the analog input has to be A-D converted first.
- And thus the AES connection has the potential to sound slightly better. (Especially if your processor has an AES output.)
Depends on what you mean under the phrase "goes directly". The received digital signal first converted to 24/93.75, then goes trough the DSP, then converted to analogue and then goes to the amps. So the class-D amps are feeded by analogue signal and not direct digital, because NCore amps are analogue amps.
Yes, objectively speaking, the digital inputs are better, because they have 2dB lower noise floor (-109dB vs -111dB) and 2.5dB lower THD+N (-100dB vs -102.5dB) than the analogue inputs, but it's very doubtful anyone can hear that difference with realworld sounds.
Strictly IMO, if someone hear a difference between digital vs analogue inputs is because the coloration of the analogue source and not because the analogue input of the Fusionamp.

Last edited: