The New Hypex Fusion Plate amps

I'd love to hear about someone getting warranty work.

I've emailed and messaged hypex on FB and never had a response.

I am curiuos about the folks with dying plate amps: What material/box did you house the plate amo in? Was it metal. plywood, mdf? It is a complete guess, but I wonder about the heat dissipation in the fanless models.

You have to contact support email from the purchase website. I got replied from them promptly!

I used cheap ply wood,maybe three years from now. At one stage, I run the plateamps 24/7 at low volume for weeks. The plateamps was hot and fun was kicked off.

Btw, I don't have fanless models therefore my implementation might not suitable for you.

Last edited by a moderator:

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I just had rapid answers from Holland re: one my 7 years old PSC2.400 acting up. It's due to ageing caps and a unlucky hotspot on the DSP board... I got immediate answer and support - by the hour and the minute.

I have had a few other cases with them and their handling of these have been flawless - but I'd wish I hadn't have to do them :(

//

Aging caps after 7 years?? Options and (socalled) flexibility seem more important nowadays than quality and durability. My good old class A/B amps lasted 25 years and longer.
Checking construction and grade of capacitors, I don't see that happen with these series of DSP - SMPS combined plate amps. It's the kind of (audio) society we live in I guess....

I owned halve a dozen of faxxx, and none of them gave me problem.

You were just unlucky

Two plate amps dying because of a settings / filter update isn't bad luck, it's shitty engineering. There should be no combination of normal settings (filter, gain, etc.) that leads to the amps self destructing. This happened to both, within 10 minutes of one another. Maybe try brushing up on statistics before dismissing my complaint. BTW, I'm 99% they would have cooked my drivers if I didn't have protection caps in place. In other words, absolute garbage. They sold people a half-baked product. I'd ask for a replacement, but 1) I'm not shipping them or paying duties again 2) I'm not wasting any more time with a company that doesn't know what it's doing. I don't care about the money -- they're not worth my time. As for heat issues -- mine were built into a t-line and had adequate ventilation all around. When they 'went thermal' they weren't hot to the touch. They also ran for a year or so before that. I had issues with them previously -- awful software, turn off / on pops, no firmware when I received them, auto-detect not working, auto-start not working, settings not getting flashed, etc. -- but nothing like this.

So either, defying physics, they are able to drive a full range HF unit but not a compression driver (86 vs 112dB), or they're happy to accept (sane, common) filter parameters that somehow lead to them destroying themselves. I don't care who their celeb lead engineer is. They ship stuff that shouldn't be shipped. I am also an engineer. I don't do those things. It's a decision you make as an organization, you either ship crap and hope the people who get screwed don't complain too loudly or you put in the time / effort to make reliable products.

Reactions: 1 user
There's a non-zero percentage of these plate amps self-destructing, sometimes destroying drivers despite built-in protection, sometimes (always?) requiring a cabinet rebuild. Man, I'd sure want to know that if I was considering these for the first time. I'm not the only one who has experienced catastrophic failures. And it happened to me twice, not once! If you can recommend a more appropriate place to discuss that, I'm all ears Franco

No, I'm done with the amps and Hypex products in general. They could theoretically refund what I paid for the amps, but that's worth a lot less to me than the time I've already sunk into them.

I'm posting here so people know these products have serious issues -- something I wish I would have known before I bought them. I don't normally go out of my way to complain about things, but these amps:

1) Are made to have a speaker designed around them, implying they're fit for that purpose over a reasonable timeframe

2) Not easily replaced (unless you're willing to buy another set and roll the dice again)

3) Pissed me off countless times with usability issues before they crapped out

And no, they did not sound magical to me. They sounded like competently designed D-class amps, which are common and inexpensive these days. The DSP / DAC is not impressive by itself either. You can buy more for less these days and keep everything outboard to minimize the overall project risk.
Caveat emptor

Of course your money/time/amps. But if you don't try to get your money back, then all is lost. It's not worth a try? Come on man!

Sorry to say but all this "I don't want to refund" and the fact that both your amps are failed within 10 mins to each other, it comes down to an outsider as if a user error has occurred (and maybe you know it), and that's why you don't want to try the warranty. Of course it can be as you said, we don't know.

GL!

Ok pal, let me educate you. I own a software company, of which I am also lead engineer. My 4th. I drive six-figures worth of BMW and have kids in private school. I'm a crypto investor, ground zero on $ETH and $XTZ. My wife is VP of a global bank. I could go on. When I say I don't care about the $1k or whatever these cost, I mean I literally don't give a crap. As in I wouldn't spend the time necessary to box, label and ship these anywhere for a fix or for a refund. Did anything I just write make you think I'm dumb enough to blow up my own amps? Which I had owned and used for over a year?
Don't blame the customer. I'm putting up with this nonsense because I'm pissed off and I want to be the guy who saves the next person from having to eat this particular crap sandwich. These products are not fit for purpose. Warning other people about them is my refund as cash won't refund my time or frustration. If you've used them w/o issue, awesome, good for you. That doesn't fix the ones in my living room. Don't blame me for bad engineering and QA.

Ok pal, let me educate you. I own a software company, of which I am also lead engineer. My 4th. I drive six-figures worth of BMW and have kids in private school. I'm a crypto investor, ground zero on $ETH and $XTZ. My wife is VP of a global bank. I could go on. When I say I don't care about the $1k or whatever these cost, I mean I literally don't give a crap. As in I wouldn't spend the time necessary to box, label and ship these anywhere for a fix or for a refund. Did anything I just write make you think I'm dumb enough to blow up my own amps? Which I had owned and used for over a year?
Don't blame the customer. I'm putting up with this nonsense because I'm pissed off and I want to be the guy who saves the next person from having to eat this particular crap sandwich. These products are not fit for purpose. Warning other people about them is my refund as cash won't refund my time or frustration. If you've used them w/o issue, awesome, good for you. That doesn't fix the ones in my living room. Don't blame me for bad engineering and QA.

BACCH-SP | Theoretica Applied Physics

This match your wallet well, get one of these all-in-one , and feedback to us!

Thanks!

'

Yeah, you don't give a crap.

I have a pair of FA253 amps, so I am just one data point.

The units have performed daily for 6 months without any problem. The HFD software is easy to use. The documentation is not perfect, but with careful reading, it is serviceable.

I am totally satisfied with the Hypex product.

My plate amps also work fine since the start. I think it is a great product. It has a high potential for great audio quality. The software and firmware can still be improved though, both from a stability and useability standpoint...

Fedde

I've had nothing but amazing success with Hypex with any of their products. If there's no power, the manual does mention what to do.

Attachments

• hypex power.JPG
    hypex power.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 345