The New Hypex Fusion Plate amps

In case you need to use analog inputs, please ensure that the active Fusion input is nearly saturated at max input signal, e.g. a test sine. You can show input VU levels in Fusion amps, so the bar should almost completely be filled. This way, the maximal amount of bits is available for internal processing. You can raise the input gain by modification as discussed above if the source level cannot be raised enough. There is more possible, but I would advise to start with this. Master volume 0 will be very loud now.

Fedde

Thanks! Good piece of info!
Btw, "You can raise the input gain by modification as discussed above" - which thread # are you referring to? The max input gain I can have is -31db, seems like I've to solder the internal gain jumper.

Another way is to set gain in the filter designs? I might be able to increase the SUB output gains of the pre-amp.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

Does anyone know if the FIR function is functional?

The manual says:
Dac filter settings As of firmware version 1.3, it is possible to control the internal filters of the DAC. Please refer to the datasheet of the AK4454 for more information. You can change its filter type, sound quality (1..3) and FIR settings (0..7).

I played with the settings and made many measurements, but apparently this function does nothing.

What do I miss?

Hello,

Does anyone know if the FIR function is functional?

The manual says:
Dac filter settings As of firmware version 1.3, it is possible to control the internal filters of the DAC. Please refer to the datasheet of the AK4454 for more information. You can change its filter type, sound quality (1..3) and FIR settings (0..7).

I played with the settings and made many measurements, but apparently this function does nothing.

What do I miss?

What did you expect to measure? The configurations work, but only fine tune the DAC. So the impact of changing it is very minor.

Fedde

Thanks! Good piece of info!

Btw, "You can raise the input gain by modification as discussed above" - which thread # are you referring to?

The max input gain I can have is -31db, seems like I've to solder the internal gain jumper.

Another way is to set gain in the filter designs?

I might be able to increase the SUB output gains of the pre-amp.

I meant earlier in this thread. You can find the procedure to raise input gain in the Fusion manual. It is best to raise the input level in preamp, but if this not further possible you can mod the plate amp for a bit more gain.

Fedde

Did anyone do experiments with the speaker output cabling with Fusion amps? I still use the original cabling at full length. Is it worth the effort/cost to replace this or shorten it? Does it help to braid it? I think I read somewhere that the Ncore is sensitivity to output wire topology, especially close to the PCB.

Fedde

Did anyone do experiments with the speaker output cabling with Fusion amps? I still use the original cabling at full length. Is it worth the effort/cost to replace this or shorten it? Does it help to braid it? I think I read somewhere that the Ncore is sensitivity to output wire topology, especially close to the PCB.

The cables from the PCB need to be symmetrically twisted minimizing any loops that act as antennas. Once you are away from the vicinity of the PCB, topology doesn't matter.

Fedde

I never experimented, ditched the copper right away and replaced it with silver plated copper with teflon.

I meant earlier in this thread. You can find the procedure to raise input gain in the Fusion manual. It is best to raise the input level in preamp, but if this not further possible you can mod the plate amp for a bit more gain.

Fedde

Yeah boy! Time to revisit the manual!

However, from my brief experiences, it was impossible to ensure that the active Fusion input to nearly saturated at max input signal via analogue inputs, even hardwired the internal jumpers.

Anyway, time to fine tune the settings after a year.

Hi amigos,

I am new in Hypex world...
Need help please. Can you say if my below picture for my Hypex NC250MP is right ? I just need to connect a RCA connector :

NC-RCA.jpg

Daniboun,

Yes that is correct. That was the method Hypex recommended originally and to my knowledge it hasn't changed.

Others are welcome to correct me if I am wrong.

Apparently having the negative lead stretched out with the hot helps with interference rejection. Make sure they are twisted also.

The better option is to use an XLR connector on the chassis and then make an RCA to XLR adapter. Then if you get a balanced source you don't have to change the amp.

Last edited:
The better option is to use an XLR connector on the chassis and then make an RCA to XLR adapter. Then if you get a balanced source you don't have to change the amp.

I would follow the advice of Bruno to not waste a differential input by using a non XLR input. The ground connection should be at source side, not in the amp. And it is easy to solder a RCA to XLR cable...
(Or use a differential source)

Fedde

I would follow the advice of Bruno to not waste a differential input by using a non XLR input. The ground connection should be at source side, not in the amp. And it is easy to solder a RCA to XLR cable...
(Or use a differential source)

Fedde

Thanks amigo for helping )
Last question :

What is the diameter of the pins on the Hypex Ncore IDC connectors?

Can I use a Pin by Pin Dupont style connector, like this :

1p-dupont.jpg