Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

The New Hypex Fusion Plate amps
The New Hypex Fusion Plate amps
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2017, 06:54 PM   #101
ds23man is offline ds23man  Netherlands
diyAudio Member
 
ds23man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hypex's doorstep
Mike,

Do not mix up latency problems of audio over ip and digital connections like spdif or AES EBU. In the latter one they do not exist if the end points are build the same, asrc or not.
  Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2017, 07:00 PM   #102
bavmike is offline bavmike  Canada
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: In the forest
Quote:
Originally Posted by ds23man View Post
Mike,



Do not mix up latency problems of audio over ip and digital connections like spdif or AES EBU. In the latter one they do not exist if the end points are build the same, asrc or not.


I'm not talking about latency. I'm talking about clock skew between endpoint. IEEE1588v2 is the closest you will get to having a single master clock for all channels, only clocking multiple end points in separate locations. But of course this is only 1 of the several advantages.
  Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2017, 07:05 PM   #103
pieter t is offline pieter t  Netherlands
Account disabled at member's request
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
You could get in touch with Hypex to discuss this.
I am not into DSP active loudspeakers, but my gut feeling is that
- building and tuning an active loudspeaker is not per se "easier" than classic passive designs;
- the difference between the different DSP platforms may become less important when the active design is not optimal to begin with.
These are mere tools; when not used properly they will not change game in speakers IMHO.
  Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2017, 07:09 PM   #104
bavmike is offline bavmike  Canada
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: In the forest
Default The New Hypex Fusion Plate amps

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieter t View Post
You could get in touch with Hypex to discuss this.
I am not into DSP active loudspeakers, but my gut feeling is that
- building and tuning an active loudspeaker is not per se "easier" than classic passive designs;
- the difference between the different DSP platforms may become less important when the active design is not optimal to begin with.
These are mere tools; when not used properly they will not change game in speakers IMHO.


And these tools make it possible to perfectly dial in the crossovers using a GUI, rather than switching out passive components. It allows for perfect phase response, time alignment, room correction, and the multitude of other advantages of taking the passive components out of the signal path. But of course, you need to have the ability to use tools properly. Just like you do with anything.
  Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2017, 07:20 PM   #105
pieter t is offline pieter t  Netherlands
Account disabled at member's request
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Like you say: make it possible...
Next month I will visit Hi End Munich.
Curious if there will be more DSP active speakers on show than last year.
When so however, I am pretty sure that there will be bad, good and excellent sounding designs around.
  Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2017, 07:25 PM   #106
bavmike is offline bavmike  Canada
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: In the forest
Another option (although not feasible for these plates) to take advantage of IEEE1588v2 is to use the latest generation of SHARC 589 series DSP chips. They have the protocol built right in. So with a simple link cable between units, you can take advantage of the nanosecond clock skew sync, without paying any licencing fees to 3rd party AES67 compatible OEM board suppliers.

ADSP-SC589 Datasheet and Product Info | Analog Devices

Only problem is you need to have the knowledge to program it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2017, 07:27 PM   #107
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member
 
scottjoplin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Penrhyndeudraeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavmike View Post
And these tools make it possible to perfectly dial in the crossovers using a GUI, rather than switching out passive components. It allows for perfect phase response, time alignment, room correction, and the multitude of other advantages of taking the passive components out of the signal path. But of course, you need to have the ability to use tools properly. Just like you do with anything.
You'll also need a special chair that clamps your head to appreciate your perfectly aligned system to it's full potential
  Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2017, 07:29 PM   #108
ds23man is offline ds23man  Netherlands
diyAudio Member
 
ds23man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hypex's doorstep
  Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2017, 07:30 PM   #109
bavmike is offline bavmike  Canada
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: In the forest
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieter t View Post
Like you say: make it possible...
Next month I will visit Hi End Munich.
Curious if there will be more DSP active speakers on show than last year.
When so however, I am pretty sure that there will be bad, good and excellent sounding designs around.

Of course. You can give a man a Lamborghini, but this doesn't mean the car is poor if he doesn't know how to drive it. Same with a laser for doing brain surgery.

Last edited by bavmike; 20th April 2017 at 07:41 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2017, 07:32 PM   #110
bavmike is offline bavmike  Canada
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: In the forest
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoplin View Post
You'll also need a special chair that clamps your head to appreciate your perfectly aligned system to it's full potential
Sounds like old fashioned passive based systems. With advanced DSP you can tune the system for perfect sound from any listening position
  Reply With Quote

Reply


The New Hypex Fusion Plate ampsHide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hypex Plate Amps madtrapper Class D 1 14th March 2014 05:21 PM
Opinions wanted on using the Hypex 2.4 plate amps? SpinMonster Multi-Way 2 3rd April 2012 08:26 AM
Hypex plate amps chatziva Class D 3 29th July 2010 03:33 PM
HYPEX plate amps Glen1 Subwoofers 0 27th January 2006 02:22 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 04:43 AM.


Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 14.29%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2019 diyAudio
Wiki