The New Hypex Fusion Plate amps

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Really, FIR convolution?

I checked a few Fusion product feature list... surely they would have put that as a bullet if it was supported?

Features

• 15 biquads per amplifier
  • Three selectable presets for filters
  • Source selection
  • Signal detect
  • Auto shutdown
  • Clip protect
  • Thermal protect
  • Filter protection

//

lol, I keep reminding myself of that. Don K and Docali designed a horn, I've got to build it. Since the one I desire has yet to be manufactured, I'll buy a smaller one in the mean time. I always intended to have multiple horns anyway, I view them as tools to be switched out as needed.

Do you know of some products I should be looking at, I've seen Lake LM26 and minidsp....and thats it for linear phase I guess..

You already named two of the popular ones wich make sense. You could also use a PC... Depending on which software you are going to use, there are some other possibilities - Linea Research has a FIR Capable Unit.. If it weren´t for realtime/live, I´d suggest the audiovolver :) For PA Usage many others are around, I have to dig in my head... Give me a rough price you want to spend and I´ll think some up - more cofffee... The cheapest way could be a BRUTEFIR Installation on a small PC or rsapberry ... Then the miniDSP DiraC stuff comes next...
What Software do you want to use? Do you have a good mic already?
RAM Audio has some FIR in th plate amps (not too powerfull, you`ll have to look up specs)
four audio has some stuff which is FIR capable (the DSP is quite nice to programm, might take a look, HUGO also is very nice)
Keep in mind that your horn has to do enough loading to around an octave below your x-over point - or no FIR in the world will help :)

Wheres the cheap, fast DLP 3D Printer, when you need one :)

Thank you I will look up the brands you mention'd...I have the miniDsp measurement mic. The lake stuff around 2k used might fit the bill. Cheaper is better but then quality is of concern. I want balanced lines...computers don't have many options for this, if at all.
The horn we have modeled goes down to about 150hz I think..

Last edited:
Quality with this depends on several stuff:
- DA/AD - most of it will do for PA Stuff
- What you measure if you use convolution (forget about the miniDSP then, for frequency response its ok)
- Amount of Filter TAPs (computer easily can do tens of thousands, small Plate DSP only around 2000, sometimes more). The easier the filter and the higher the frequency - the less TAPS you need
- An most of all: What you put into the FIR Filter... Even 64k Filter Taps on a High-End Dac will sound like crap if the coeffiecients are wrong

Balanced and PC: Simply buy a external soundcard with balanced inputs/outputs. RME 2 Channel für used 200 Euros outperforms almost any 19" DSP you can buy

An external sound card with at least 6 balanced outputs? name one...
And then I'm going to use software to do the filtering, and keep this low latency?
I was thinking to just do the xover and major voicing changes with linear, and then use minimum phase to process the rest.

Last edited:
RME Fireface series
Behringer UMC 1820
Tascam US-16x08
Metric Halo LIO-8 3d
Steinberg UR44C
Steinberg AXR4U
Universal Audio Apollo X8
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd Gen
Metric Halo Metric Halo 2882 3d
MOTU 896 Mk3 Hybrid
Apogee Quartet
ESI U86 XT
Tascam US-20x20
Antelope Discrete 8 Synergy Core
Mackie Big Knob Studio
Antelope Orion 32 HD
MOTU 8 Pre-es
Arturia AudioFuse 8Pre
Prism Sound Titan
Zoom UAC-8
Midiplus Studio 4
Keith McMillen K-Mix
Metric Halo ULN-8 3D
RME Fireface UFX+
iConnectivity iConnect PlayAUDIO 12
Presonus Studio 1824c
Tascam Series 208i

We could proceed with internal PCI Cards...

You could take 3 Stereo Cards, depending on the software you use, thats no problem even with windows drivers. If you desperately need ASIO, take ASIO4All..

There are some possibilities to get a PC to output 6 Channels (symmetrical, balanced..) :)

With Software, I meant the Software you use for definig the FIR Taps (not so simple) - not the one you use to play back (simple).

I did a small PC about ten years ago which had a simple linux installation on it, ran BRUTE FIR on it and tossed three very good PCI Cards (50 bucks back then for each) into it. 6 in, 6 out. I don't recall which CPU exactly I had, bootup was back them from a Compact Flash derivate (Seagte Microharddisk to be exact)... not much ram, some Pentium whatever CPU (10 years back) and I could easily do multichannel convolution with maaany FIR Taps with this machine. But of course this is VERY DYi... Would have never taken this to a live event - although it worked... who knows. :)
The main goal with this was to do deconvolution of impulses (used Earthworks M30 for it) for playback at home where delays of the FIR are not a problem, so I even did play around correcting bass...

We are off topic, I think and I am getting into the mood.... Have to stop here.

I´d either look up miniDSP 19" Stuff (I remember one of the bigger DIRACs has symmetrical outputs) or if you have the money some linear´research, lake... FOUR Audio also is highly recommended (I am sure I forgot many, but ... off topic)

But first, download some of the "usual suspects" for FIR Filter design (rePhase, Filter Hose, Filter Hose, Acourate, Ultimate EQ, Align2, Scope FIR, Octave, etc....) and play around, check which one does what, if they fit your needs and work together with the one you want to purchase and learn about FIR Filters and their implmentations.

Nice project!!! Have fun!

Why balanced outputs? Driving a 100 m long cable through a noisy factory?
That depends really, some areas in my home are full of EM noise, not entirely sure where it all comes from, but I suspect quite a bit of it probably comes from various switch mode supplies of varying quality.

Even if your amps have balanced inputs, driving them from unbalanced outputs is no problem.

But then it would not have the benefits of the fully balanced setup.
The beauty of balanced interconnects is that you run two duplicate signals together, one is switched in polarity. Both of them are equally susceptible to noise from the surrounding environment. When the signals arrive at their destination, there is a sort of buffer where one of the signals switch polarity. The signals are brought together and are merely stronger for it, except the noise has now cancelled itself out.

Very basic, but very effective noise cancelling.

But then it would not have the benefits of the fully balanced setup.
The beauty of balanced interconnects is that you run two duplicate signals together, one is switched in polarity. Both of them are equally susceptible to noise from the surrounding environment. When the signals arrive at their destination, there is a sort of buffer where one of the signals switch polarity. The signals are brought together and are merely stronger for it, except the noise has now cancelled itself out.

Very basic, but very effective noise cancelling.

You will get most of that benefit even if you drive a balanced input from an unbalanced source. The benefit comes from the differential input stage.