Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Stereo to mono amp solution with mono bridge
Stereo to mono amp solution with mono bridge
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th February 2017, 04:37 AM   #1
arjunm009 is offline arjunm009
diyAudio Member

Default Stereo to mono amp solution with mono bridge

I have these stereo amplifiers - Adafruit 20W and Sure Electronics 15W

If I connect this passive stereo to mono bridge at its output, will it technically be a good solution? Will the amps work correctly?

I have searched and searched for modules which can take in stereo inputs and output mono, but there isn't just any available.

Anyway, is there any other technique to help with this. Or any other amp which can support simple twisting of wires to get it play only mono from a stereo.

PS - Got a 15W driver with 4 ohm. Need to work with 4 ohm.
Old 27th February 2017, 11:20 AM   #2
nastorrent is offline nastorrent
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunm009 View Post
If I connect this passive stereo to mono bridge at its output, will it technically be a good solution? Will the amps work correctly?
I think that is more oriented to the input side.
Maybe if you connect it at output nothing explodes, but it's not designed for that use.
The general rule is that Class D amplifiers are generally more complicated to bridge than simply joining two cables together.
Old 27th February 2017, 01:03 PM   #3
arjunm009 is offline arjunm009
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastorrent View Post
I think that is more oriented to the input side.
This is interesting. So if the source, like from the phone jack, itself is connected with that passive bridge, then I just need to hook a mono to mono amp at one of its output side and leave the other output of the bridge as is, and that would get us to a solution?
Old 27th February 2017, 02:09 PM   #4
nigelwright7557 is offline nigelwright7557  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Easiest way to change stereo into mono is two mix the signals using a couple of 1k resistors.

Stereo to mono amp solution with mono bridgeHide this!Advertise here!