IcePower amp, and MiniDSP build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here are some progress pics of my build so far... I hope to get it ginidhed this month. The internal speaker wiring will be mil spec silver clad twisted pair wire. There also will be s speaking breakout box that will split the wires to pairs for the surrounds, atmos, and bi-amping the front 3 channels.
a233378c9935c05f6578b507fc5a285f.jpg
4ec1b6c2afae63bef4fd39cfd08db612.jpg
85fc84a2bc1983ca7a52c477992a5d4c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I now have the pins, and 16awg silver clad copper twisted pair wires, in addition to the 26awg, and 28awg twisted pair wire.

Question... would it be better to run one twisted pair wire to each side ( one pair to +, and one to -) or just run one wire to positive, and one to negative? I am thinking that 2 wires to each terminal might be better at noise reduction, but I am new to this.

Suggestions?

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Hi ellisr63,

MiniDSP 2x4 out is RCA unbalanced and IcePower 50ASX2 SE and 125ASX2 in two channels mode are using unbalanced input.
You just need one (twisted) pair to connect the miniDSP output to an amp input.

What Icepower modules are you using and wich model of minidsp ?

Hi ellisr63,

MiniDSP 2x4 out is RCA unbalanced and IcePower 50ASX2 SE and 125ASX2 in two channels mode are using unbalanced input.
You just need one (twisted) pair to connect the miniDSP output to an amp input.

What Icepower modules are you using and wich model of minidsp ?
I am using the MiniDSP 2x4 unbalanced kit version, and the IcePower 50asx2, and 125asx2 unbalanced versions.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Well the amp worked out fine, but I decided it was time to make it look nicer, and get a nicer crossover.
I now have a Xilica xp4080 which only accepts balanced, so now I will be running all bridged, balanced channels. This time I have 7 of the 125w modules which will be run as balanced, and 3 BTL amps for the front 3 horns (3 of the 125w modules will be used for the woofers for the front 3 channels).
We picked up a Krell KSA250 copy case for the case this time...although it will not say Krell anymore. We are making a complete new rear panel, and the center piece on the front is being custom machined. I went this way because I always loved the look of the Krell amps, but did not care for the sound with the speakers I have had, and It would have been very expensive to buy an old Krell to gut. Plus it was cheaper to buy the copy than it would have been to buy the parts for the case alone.
The amp will have all XLRs for inputs(10), and Speakon connectors(7) for my speakers. It will be for a 7 channels setup with 3 Powercon connectors on the rear. We are doing this so I can turn on the amps I want for whatever is needed at the time. As an example, if I want to listen to stereo only the amps that are for the left and right would be turned on. If I want to listen to 5 channels then I would select the 2nd button and that would power up the center, and surrounds. 7 channel turns on the rear surrounds. These will also be controlled via Home Automation software so the required channels will be turned on or off determined by the mode I want to listen to. The 3 Powercon connectors will plug into 3 Insteon outdoor outlets, which then will be plugged into my APC power center.

My friend will be doing the machining and assembly this month, and I will post up some pics of it once it is completed.

Wiring is from Ghent....custom length.
Power connectors are Powercon
XLRs
LEDs for viewing which channels are powered up
3 power switches on front panel
Custom front panel mods, and custom rear panel. Mods are on a Krell KSA 250 Chinese copy case

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.