Ncore diy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
thank Julf.

The amps seem to work fine with two other DACs i have, Focusrite and Motu.

Any other test i can do to check for clipping?

Any thoughts on what could be causing the clipping? as i just measured i see around 178mv DC on each signal wire of the balanced pair, but no common mode DC offset.

What should i be looking for with the scope? How about feeding a 100Hz sine through the DAC and amplifier and observe the sinewave on the amps speaker outputs?
What would the distortions from the samples above potentially look like?

I put the balanced output of the DAC to my soundcard input and looked at results on the spectrum analyzer for various test tones and also pink noise in the 60-300Hz range. I havent noticed any smoking guns yet.

This almost certainly is a combination of this DACs balanced IV and the Hypex amps.

I did some debugging with an oscilloscope (Gnd probe to chassis and signal probe to +ve speaker out)
I mostly only seem to locate what appears to be switching frequency of the module around 400KHz. The test tone freq i am playing does appear as an envelope. I couldnt figure out a way to trigger to stably display just the test tone freq at the amp output. However, the waves dont appear to be clipping.
Not sure what any stability related oscillations would look like.

Also observed the DAC output (one signal out of the balanced pair) on the osclloscope and it appears fine.

But looking at the signal levels on the oscilloscope i have a theory. Please advice if this is a possibility.
I seem to be playing very close to the base noise level of the DAC during nominal listening. This is because the speaker is 94dB sensitive and are driven by high power UCD400.
At these low levels the noise output of the DAC seems to modulate with the music playing.
At higher output levels, things get too loud for comfort but the distortion isnt noticeable.

Is this just an issue with my gain stages?
If i can reduce the gain of the amp modules, or add a clean balanced passive attenuation to the XLR cable from DAC to amp, maybe i can play the DAC at a level where it performs the best.

I am new to this oscilloscope, so still figuring things out. Over the weekend if i can get back on this i will try and post some pics.

Please comment.

thanks

Last edited:
I mostly only seem to locate what appears to be switching frequency of the module around 400KHz. The test tone freq i am playing does appear as an envelope. I couldnt figure out a way to trigger to stably display just the test tone freq at the amp output. However, the waves dont appear to be clipping.

Good!

Is this just an issue with my gain stages?
If i can reduce the gain of the amp modules, or add a clean balanced passive attenuation to the XLR cable from DAC to amp, maybe i can play the DAC at a level where it performs the best.
Worth testing - just make a passive attenuator out of a couple of resistors. If it turns out to solve the problem, you can then change the feedback resistor of the ncore.

Hi guys
I'm facing some problems, i'm not able to put in Ready state my NC500OEM

it seems I'm not able to show "HW mode" or the right NAmpON to the module...

Any suggestion? I also tried without Flat cable and just turning the switch, but No Ready Led turn on.

Attachments

• IMG_9411.jpg
    IMG_9411.jpg
    935.4 KB · Views: 1,090
  • IMG_9409.jpg
    IMG_9409.jpg
    937.7 KB · Views: 1,043
Good!

Worth testing - just make a passive attenuator out of a couple of resistors. If it turns out to solve the problem, you can then change the feedback resistor of the ncore.

Or change the gain of the dac outputstage.

Thanks Guys.

Changing the DAC output stage gain is harder as i dont have the schematic or much help.
I will try a passive attenuator on the XLR interconnect from DAC to the amp.
If things improve i will remove the gain adjustment resistor in ncore and ucd400

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.