TPA3116 Cutting Out

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All
I have bought this board of eBay:
12V 24V 120W*2 TPA3116 Dual Channel digital Power audio amplifier board amp car | eBay

with a TPA3116. Works very nicely, with the exception that if you over-drive it with too much input signal, it cuts out. I guess this is to protect the device, but as I know the load that I am driving is nowhere near 2 or 4 ohms, I wont be sucking maximum amount of power, I want to turn this function off. Can this be done?
I haven't investigated the board yet, but looking at the datasheet for the TPA3116, I see there is a FAULTZ output pin, that can be joined to the MUTE input (by a transistor). Could this be my issue? Could there be anything else that is causing the output to MUTE?
Thanks for any advice you can give!
Mike

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
I have bought this board of eBay:
[..eBay..]

with a TPA3116. Works very nicely, with the exception that if you over-drive it with too much input signal, it cuts out. I guess this is to protect the device, but as I know the load that I am driving is nowhere near 2 or 4 ohms, I wont be sucking maximum amount of power, I want to turn this function off. Can this be done?

Ofcourse it can. Don't push your amp into overdrive, limit your input signal, remove DC offset (yes, that's sometimes an issue even after an input capacitor, asymmetrical signal form is still an issue) and in doubt, measure and remove high frequency harmonics.

I haven't investigated the board yet, but looking at the datasheet for the TPA3116, I see there is a FAULTZ output pin, that can be joined to the MUTE input (by a transistor). Could this be my issue? Could there be anything else that is causing the output to MUTE?

The Fault pin will only mute if it's detecting a fault (under-voltage, overcurrent, overvoltage, overtemperature, dc-offset, probably clipping (which I doubt in this amp) and short circuit). To remove it removes the symptom but not the cause.

Thanks for the replies.
So the only way is to to ensure that the input level remains below a certain level?A little more information about how the board is being used. It is connected into a public address system, where I am feeding the output of the board in to a 100 Volt line step up transformer, and connecting to 100 Volt line speakers along a long length of cable. I have 2 audio sources which I switch between. I set up the levels on the amp board for so that the 1st source (a PC) didn't cause the amp to cut out, however I have no control over the 2nd source level (a Mic). Ideally, what I would like is if there is too much input signal the amp board would go into a reduced gain mode, rather than turn off completely!
Would you have any further suggestions?
Once again, thanks for your time
Mike

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
To limit the signal you could use a - limiter. Or use a compressor. Both are widely available as DIY or commercial units. Even better would be if you'd simply use a mixer with such a feature, then you could even adjust the gain, eq, lowcut etc.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.