FDA: Alientek D8

Hi all, I have ordered one and I want to use only as USB soundcard and SPDIF with external source switch. I am going to modify the device to use RCA out from PCM5122 only. I do not need the class-d amp. maybe I remove, if possible, the speaker conetors to put 2 RCA lineouts in the case. I will use a fixed volume of D8 and of PC to get 1Vpp at RCA for my analoge technics sh-8055 with maranz PM7001 where I control volume and my analoge sources. I think the mod is easy. I wil calibrate levels with scope. What do you think ?

I am referring to the above comment. The +Vin from the DC socket stands at 25 VDC and the 5V regulator stands at 5V. There is a voltage difference of 20 V between the 2 points. Somewhere else among the posts, AUDEO suggested that the inductor should be able to take 3 amps. Once this is stated, it is a simple matter to apply Ohm's law : Power equals Voltage times Current.

The DC-DC converter is not a resistor and Ohm's law cannot be applied here in this fashion, otherwise SMPS would have been disastrous instead of being popular. 3A seems indeed to be an overkill for this inductor and I suggested it only because of the size of the trace which it replaces. Although some startup pulses may indeed be quite high-current there.

Before discussing further this point, one has to know how and where the inductor is connected, on the D8 circuit board.
On this capital point, the originator of that suggestion has not come forward.
I showed the spot on a picture within this post.

Hi all, I have ordered one and I want to use only as USB soundcard and SPDIF with external source switch. I am going to modify the device to use RCA out from PCM5122 only. I do not need the class-d amp. maybe I remove, if possible, the speaker conetors to put 2 RCA lineouts in the case. I will use a fixed volume of D8 and of PC to get 1Vpp at RCA for my analoge technics sh-8055 with maranz PM7001 where I control volume and my analoge sources. I think the mod is easy. I wil calibrate levels with scope. What do you think ?

I think you're about to throw away about 80% of your investment. For your stated purpose I'd use some USB-powered DAC which would be far cheaper and/or better.

Okay, in first case i just should turn "MuteRelated" to "NO", then i can mute speakers when headphones are still playing.

But my second problem, quiet noise. Im using USB, not analog input, i have perfect silent when im not playing any music or sounds but when im playing quiet music or facebook sounds i can hear noise.

Hello
I have alientek d8
Im testing...
Work all but not have sound from SPDIF(OPTICAL) IN
Ofc i have good working cable(testing at my other ampli DAC and work good)and other ampli and sound card(work good and have sound use cable optical)...
I have Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium and signal going to Alientek
What's problem?
SPDIF(OPTICAL) factory damage?

Last edited:
I did audeo modification with 22uH 4.7A (too big, but safe) inductor

Alientek with 22uH - Google Drive
I glued my inductor on thick plastic plate to the capacitor.

Results:
I got rid of 80% of hiss/noise, now its inaudible from my chair

work time about 10 minutes, cut trace, scrape off, solder inductor. Physically smaller inductor will probably sit on the cut track

I did audeo modification with 22uH 4.7A (too big, but safe) inductor

I glued my inductor on thick plastic plate to the capacitor.

Results:
I got rid of 80% of hiss/noise, now its inaudible from my chair

work time about 10 minutes, cut trace, scrape off, solder inductor. Physically smaller inductor will probably sit on the cut track

TrueFaith, Can you share your Google Drive on Alientek with 22uH ?

Yes, sorry:
In my case inductor is much too big but it works

There is a possibility that the real reason for the hiss is that the 4.7uH choke, probably used in a step-down converter, should be replaced by the bigger 22uH (or even higher value) choke. 4.7uH is likely to result in a very large Buck ripple current unless the switching frequency is very high. To know for sure requires a circuit diagram of that small converter and knowledge about input and output conditions. It is a problem observed before in eastern converter implementations.

There is a possibility that the real reason for the hiss is that the 4.7uH choke, probably used in a step-down converter, should be replaced by the bigger 22uH (or even higher value) choke. 4.7uH is likely to result in a very large Buck ripple current unless the switching frequency is very high. To know for sure requires a circuit diagram of that small converter and knowledge about input and output conditions. It is a problem observed before in eastern converter implementations.

If using 22uH inductor, consider the size, what current capacity of this inductor would be sufficient?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Just to wake up this thread from the dead. A friend just gave me a D8 he wasn’t using anymore. I hooked it up to some JBL 530’s and they sound great together! Nice sounding amp. I am surprised this chip doesn’t get more traction. It’s easy to get a DAC with I2S out and anyone can make a direct digital amp. There is some hiss but I have to press my ear close to the speaker. Not a huge issue. I might have to try some of these mods.

It’s a perfect bedroom / bookshelf speaker amp. Paired with an Amazon Alexa as streamer source, I can have some fun outside of the lab.

Hello,
i bought Alientek D8 few days ago, sound quality is perfect for me but i have 2 problems:
-speakers still playing when im pluging my headphones, i didnt found any switch or setting to change that
-it has quiet noise all the time

Can anyone help me?

Disconnect speakers and listen to headphones:

To be able to switch off the loudspeaker output by connecting a headset, you must do the following:

Go to menu 6 (Double click on the volume button),
To choose NO, and exit the menu correctly with Exit,
After selecting NO, the "Mute" function on the remote control will deactivate your speakers but not the headphone output. So you can listen to the headphones without the speakers back.