SMSL SA-98E & TDA7498E - opinions/mods

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
(B32652A3474J or )
B32652A4474J

For mkt1820, should fit but check. Might give slight improvement because it is said to be lowest distortion filmcap that also doesn't deteriorate under stress. The little ones should not make any difference and the input round ones in theory only real bad ones affect signal, because there is hardly any voltage across them.

First thing i would do is look at the filtering in the power supply; there seems to be plenty of space for more caps/ inductors there. Definitely replace the output caps (same as power caps in Amp) and the 400V reservoir cap as stated above.

Remove the DC Power connectors and solder straight to the board if you can.

Monster SA98

Hello Friends,

you would definitely like to see my modified SA98 ...

Complete in the Housing:

24 Capacitors per 100000µF / 80V (yes, right: 100mF / 80V)

One (of 24) German Main Battle Tank:

Power Supply Meanwell HLG-600A 26V 16.7 Amp - set to 38V 15A with Current Limit

The SA98 (unmodified)

The small Amplifier is soundly unrecognizable by the Monster Power Supply.
He now plays in the absolute High-End Class.

Attachments

• Ready !.JPG
    Ready !.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 276
  • Hochzeit 001.jpg
    Hochzeit 001.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 272
  • Elko.JPG
    Elko.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 271
  • New PSU 36V17A.JPG
    New PSU 36V17A.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 273
  • SA98 mounted.JPG
    SA98 mounted.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 278
Hello Friends,

you would definitely like to see my modified SA98 ...

Complete in the Housing:

24 Capacitors per 100000µF / 80V (yes, right: 100mF / 80V)

One (of 24) German Main Battle Tank:

Power Supply Meanwell HLG-600A 26V 16.7 Amp - set to 38V 15A with Current Limit

The SA98 (unmodified)

The small Amplifier is soundly unrecognizable by the Monster Power Supply.
He now plays in the absolute High-End Class.

I just registered an account after years of reading posts on this website as anonymous, but I couldn't ignore this madness. This is nuts.

Hi Guys, after almost 4 years since "First Light" I would like to conclude with the conversion:

The amplifier runs and runs and runs (like a Volkswagen ...) without problems. It is extremely analytical and differentiates very well even with the most complex passages and even the hardest bass attacks cannot be disturbed. He can play both excellent, very quiet and very loud, the sound never disintegrates and instruments and vocal parts just stay where they are.

Since construction in 2016, I have made the following modifications: Electrolytic capacitors 24 x 100000µF increased to 40 x 100000µF (= 4F) - I still had electrolytic capacitors lying around here, which are now external to the Amplifiers are connected using 200-ampere pole terminals and 35mm² copper cables. In terms of sound, this was hardly noticeable, but it is of no use if the electrolytic capacitors are just lying around ...

Input capacitors changed from 1µF to 2x 0.65µF Roederstein KP1832, in parallel 1 x 9.5 nF KP1838 Roederstein and 2700pf Styroflex. This gave the sound image a slight improvement in the high frequency range, that of very strong ones Tweeters are now a little more characterized.
Internal wiring now 35 mm² Cu flexible.

Aluminum rails of the electrolytic capacitors replaced by 20mm x 5mm copper rails.

Mains switch on the back replaced by radio switch.

USB sound card built into the housing now and connected directly to the SA98.

Total weight of the entire amplifier including external elko bank: approx. 65 kg.

For me an absolute success and gain from this conversion.

73 de DO4DOC, Jürgen

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.