SMSL SA-36A PLUS vs SMSL SA-36A PRO

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is there anybody who used SMSL SA-36A Plus model? Which one I should prefer SMSL SA-36A Pro or Plus?

SPECIFICATIONS OF SMSL SA-36A PLUS:
Output power(4ohm): 30W *2
Amplifier IC: TPA3118
Bluetooth version: 3.0/4.0/4.1
Power consumption: 22W
Standby power: 0.5W
Input: BT/USB Audio/U-Disk/TF card/3.5mm
Output: banana jack
Power supply: 24V
Color: Black/Sliver
Net weight :approx. 322g.
Gross weight: 748g

SMSL-SA-36A-Plus-30W-TPA3118-Bluetooth-AUX-HIfi-Audio-Digital-Amplifier-Class-d-Power-Amplifier.jpg

SMSL-SA-36A-Plus-30W-TPA3118-Bluetooth-AUX-HIfi-Audio-Digital-Amplifier-Class-d-Power-Amplifier.jpg

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Unless you absolutely need bluetooth / tf card functions then go for the Pro but be aware that many sites like Amazon and e bay list it as having a TPA 31I8 chip when unless its old stock ( pre late 2015 ) then despite the description it will have a a TDA 7492 PE chip .
Remember also power is rated @ 10 % THD .
If you use the forum search function there are lots of posts regarding the SA 36 .
Some sellers still list it Tripath its not that went out of production years ago .

edit if it's a 31I8 it will have a power rating of 12 - 24 v shown under the dc in a 7492 PE will have 12 - 15 v

Last edited:
30 watt is stretching it a bit the 3118 chip should put out around 25 watts using a 24 v supply but remember thats into 4ohm @ 10 % THD . A more realistic figure would be around 11-12 watts at low distortion . In the real world the 7492 PE is about the same . Another thing to bear in mind the 3118 tends to " pop " speakers when powered on/off.
My personal choice would be the Pro don't get too influenced by the power quotes .
What equipment are you planning to connect it to ?
Another option would be the Smsl SA 50 which isn't that much more at around GBP 50 and will give about 20 real watts into 8 ohm at low distortion.

Last edited:
I have yet to see an accurate description on any sellers site regarding the SA 36 since the " new " model was released . Most use a mixture of all 3 models . The only sure way to tell , other than opening ,is by the power supply rating shown on the back 2020 - 12 -14 v / 3118 - 12 - 24 v / 7492 pe 12 - 15 v you can't trust the photos on sellers sites either as they show various models . Until you actually get one it's a lottery although the 7492 pe seems to be the one most receive now unless someone has old stock available ( unlikely ) .

Last edited:
If your concerns relate to more watts = more volume then it's not quite that simple . In the " real " world in a nearfield environment then ten watts is more than enough . As an example my SA 36 7492 pe model used with 89 db w/m 8 ohm speaker's at a distance of 3 metres were more than loud enough at ten o'clock on the volume dial. More watts in general just allow more headroom for dynamic peaks and reduce the chances of clipping . It 's a bit more complicated but i'm trying to keep it simple.
Tell us your source and speakers and maybe we can advise a bit more .

Thanks for suggestions :) I probably wont need bluetooth so if I can find it with 3118, I will pick pro. I will use my TV and computer as a source and maybe my phone. I dont have any speakers right now, Im thinking to buy some budget speakers after the amplifier.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.