SMSL SA-36A PLUS vs SMSL SA-36A PRO

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok a couple of things to bear in mind ... the amp , like most of this sort , only has one set of inputs . If you are using multiple sources you will need either a switch box or some cable splitters unless you want to unplug and connect the various source devices. For the tv you have the choice of optical/co ax out or headphone if fitted , unless it has dedicated rca audio out sockets. If you use opitical / co ax you will need a dac to convert the digital output into analogue prior to being fed to the amp.
For speakers look for something rated at 6 or 8 ohm and 87 db w / metre sensitivity or higher.
Don't be over concerned about speakers watt ratings they don't relate to how loud it will sound.
Most show two figures , rated power and maximum . the rated power is the amount they can handle for sustained periods and the max for very very short dynamic peaks . As a general guide choose speakers that have a rated power handling at least as much as the amps maximum rated output.
Again things aren't quite that simple but the above should serve as a basic guide .

If you want to stick with Smsl take a look at the Q5 PRO model it might suit your needs better
( built in dac ) quite a bit more expensive though but cheaper than buying amp + dac and less boxes plus you get remote operation . Only consider the pro version though the original model had " issues " fixed with the pro upgrade .

Q5pro is a little different amplifier. At the voltages from the cheap powersupplies that come with these, the 3118 will have more power I recall, because we look at power at a distortion and noise level. Powersupply quality for Q5pro is of bigger importance, it is a open loop, no feedback amplifier, psu ripple gets into outputsignal sooner.

If you want to stick with Smsl take a look at the Q5 PRO model it might suit your needs better
( built in dac ) quite a bit more expensive though but cheaper than buying amp + dac and less boxes plus you get remote operation . Only consider the pro version though the original model had " issues " fixed with the pro upgrade .

It is okay to unplug and connect for me. And I cannot buy Q5 Pro because of the import rules which allows me to buy max 75$.

Massdrop has the TEAC AI-101DA that comes with tpa3118 :) And there is another one (with small PSU):

Lepai LP-2020TI Digital Hi-Fi Audio Mini Amplifier with Power Supply

Is Lepai LP-2020TI better than SMSL 36A or Lepai LP-2020A+?

The Lapai LP 2020 TI is a new model and not one i have used ( yet :) ) but the fact that it uses the 3118 chip is interesting . The 2020 A+ used to use Tripath chips but now they use various chinese made copys , some believe they always did :) but whatever they are no longer branded Tripath .
In general Lapai gear isn't as well made as Smsl though and given the choice i would go for Smsl .
Maybe someone who has used the new Lapai could comment ?

No mention of " pop " suppression on the TI specs though , that kinda worries me :)
You will also need a better psu the provided ones should be binned immediately on receipt .
Good power supplies are crucial to performance on all these mini amps and a 24 v would be needed for the TI to get the best out of it .

Lepai :D
SMSL 36 Pro = tda7492, so finding one with 3118 chip today could be like searching for a Lepai today with genuine Tripath chip :D

36 Plus is really only SMSL option with 3118 chip today, and that one might have pop supression/reduction, at least their use of the pins that are used for that suggest an upgrade. Complaints about pop probably where reason for ending original 36pro. That said turning volume down befor turning power off probably helps reducing pop too.

Agreed getting a 3118 chip in a Sa 36 now is probably impossible , even asking the seller is unlikely to be any help as most have no idea exactly what stock they have and just use old out of date and generic descriptions often a mixture of all models.
Even Smsl seem to have been affected by using " scraps " now though , numerous posts on other threads showing different boards , caps etc on what is meant to be the same model ie the 7492 pe ,seems to be built in batchs using whatever they have kicking around in the the parts bin on the day now.
Like most cheap Chinese electrical gear what starts as a reasonably good product is more often than not " downgraded " with each generation and they sell because of the originals reputation .
I found an amp on Amazon brand ZHILAI K3 sold by Shina uses the 3118 and states it's got boot delay and overload protection etc . Sellers got good feedback ( 97 % lifetime 100 % last 30 days )
£23. 36 from Amazon uk , sent from China though , might be worth a google

pcb is heatsink and the heatsink looks ok :)

datasheet is read very selectively, text clearly says: The high efficiency of the TPA3130D2 allows it to do 2 × 15 W without external heat sink on a single layer PCB. The TPA3118D2 can even run 2 × 30 W / 8 Ω without heat sink on a dual layer PCB

this clearly is a 3118 on dual layer pcb and seems mostly limited by little low volt brick

cant see if input from tonecontrol is ok, 200mV on the box does seem to point at 9k inputimpedance and highest gainsetting, but chinese text doesn't mean much :D

Video shows enough that overtemperature protection won't trip when playing music and it shows that this chinese can drive 4 ohm load, that isn't something all chinese 3116 can on YouTube.

I meant maybe using an extra heatsink on the chip itself can't hurt as he noted how hot it got at 20 v .
I bypass the tone on all the lapai models it sounds lower in volume and mushy with them engaged .

Can you see any indications of pop suppression on that board ?

Last edited:
Teac sink is useless imo. Putting a pad between pcb bottomside and metal housing is onlything that can really help, but again, for music you won't ever need it imo.

Heatsinking for the Lepai amp will be substantially better than for Teac amp, Lepai pcb looks better than Teac's for spreading heat, imagine that, what am I saying, I must detox now LOLOL

Cancelled .. i was in a rush read the description which was for the new TI then after i ordered i noticed above the picture it said 2020 A so yet another case of sellers using incorrect specs for the item they are actually sending . I may well turn out to be a TI but i'm not waiting a month just to find out for sure , other than PE no one else seems to list them yet not even Aliexpress .

thrillernight ... if you can source one from your location ( Parts Express ? ) then go for the Lapai 2020 TI
with the 3118 chip . Highly unlikely you will receive a 3118 Smsl even if the description says so.
The Lapai also has the advantage of two inputs, L/R rca 's and a 3.5 mm minijack so you could run two devices without so much unplugging .They are not switched though so only have one device turned on at any time . Problem solved ? :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.