Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Sure Electronics AA-AB32313  2x400
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd December 2017, 02:20 PM   #241
hopkins is offline hopkins  France
diyAudio Member

I do not mind spending more - sometimes a small difference in sound makes for a big difference in enjoyment! But yes, they are very attractive at that price and certainly much better than other digital amps I had the opportunity to test over the years.
Old 3rd December 2017, 04:31 PM   #242
strongbow60 is offline strongbow60  Sweden
diyAudio Member

The board I bought has physically bigger/better coils and might handle bigger currents before distortion levels rise. Make sure the you bypass the input capacitors as explained in the start of this thread. Even then it needs at least 100 hours playing before the sound opens up.

Also, the German seller has an optional heatsink that almost fits the board It is a big deal because the fan get annoying in the long run if not in a well sound proofed enclosure. Even when no input signal the fan turns on every ten minutes or so.

I also have the TPA3255 board and they are different sound wise.

The Wondon board has a more dynamic sound, fantastic bass, a warm midrange (2:nd harmonic distortion?) but a frizzy and not too pleasant treble. Perfect party board, but after a few hours you get listening fatigue (often attributed to high 3:d harmonic distortion).

TPA3255 eval board has not many faults, maybe a little "bland", nothing stands out. But in the long run much easier to listen to. Perfect to combine with a tube amplifier if you are of that persuasion.
Old 4th December 2017, 02:35 AM   #243
ICG is offline ICG  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongbow60 View Post
The board I bought has physically bigger/better coils and might handle bigger currents before distortion levels rise. [...]
Bigger is not always better. And the size does not say anything about the quality or at which point the core becomes saturated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongbow60 View Post
The Wondon board has a more dynamic sound, fantastic bass, a warm midrange (2:nd harmonic distortion?) but a frizzy and not too pleasant treble. Perfect party board, but after a few hours you get listening fatigue (often attributed to high 3:d harmonic distortion).
Well, I would attribute that to the coils. Besides that, your speakers might have a high impedance in the treble, which - like on all class D amps - causes a peak at the upper end. Your TPA3255 board got the output filter probably optimized for higher impedances which makes it probably flat or even dip in the hights, which could lead to the 'bland' impression. That is an assumption ofcourse, there could also other issues be involved too.

It looks pretty much like this:

Again: That's an issue with all Class-D amplifiers, not just these two. It just differs on to which impedance the output filter is optimized, the impedance these curves represent might be lower or higher, the tendency is always the same though, higher impedances create a peak, lower ones a dip. In general, the impedance of the speaker in the treble influences the frequency response of class D amps very much and changes the sound far more than most ppl anticipate. That also means that the sound impression in the highs can vary very much with different speakers.
Old 4th December 2017, 07:26 PM   #244
strongbow60 is offline strongbow60  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Very nice writeup ICG!

Both Wondom and TPA eval board has 10 nH coils. But the filter capacitor in Wondom is .33 uF and for the TPA board 1 uF.
Old 4th December 2017, 08:42 PM   #245
denbret is offline denbret  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi, on my PCB I bypass the SMD coupling condos by Obbligato Copper 2 uf, the sound is much more transparent and dynamic. the bass is more precise and the soundstage.
Old 6th December 2017, 01:23 PM   #246
Cantunes is offline Cantunes  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Hello everyone, I could not find AB32313 or AB32512 in the MKII version, which has larger inductors.
Does it have much difference in the sonority between versions?
Thank you!
Old 7th December 2017, 02:26 PM   #247
globalplayer is offline globalplayer  Germany
diyAudio Member

Wondom TAMP2400 MkII - GREMLIN | TAMP | Verstarker Boards | Wondom | Aktivmodule / DSP | Hobbyhifiladen

In Germany though.
Old 11th December 2017, 10:25 AM   #248
Cantunes is offline Cantunes  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kornbread View Post
Do I have this pinout correct for the ab32313, Vin1 to Vout1 and Vin2 to Vout2, and switch 1 set to off?

What value capacitors for the inputs?

And what value/spec capacitors for the power supply caps along the sides, or stay with the oem values?
There were some tests in the German forum with some capacitors, to choose which one would look better in the input.

Gremlin- kleiner Class-T Amp- ganz groß. - Seite 47 - DIY-HIFI-Forum

Last edited by Cantunes; 11th December 2017 at 10:37 AM.
Old 11th December 2017, 10:31 AM   #249
diyAudio Member

I ordered 2 x TAMP2400 MkII which arrived today.
Unfortunately no screw terminals for the supply voltage on the board although on the picture of the shop it had those.
:/
Old 11th December 2017, 06:38 PM   #250
diyAudio Member

So I had the chance to listen to them.
Given the price point it is just ridiculous even when not burned in.

Imho no need for more amp than this one at least for me.

Crystal clear, accurate and nice control over the woofers.
Plenty of power.
Change the input cap and it will be even better.

Only downside is the fan it is not exactly quiet and I think I heard some slight noise on the speaker output when it was running at high volume.

I used 2 Mean Well LRS-350-36. Also very good value.

Bottom line: Very impressed especially considered the price point.

Sure Electronics AA-AB32313  2x400Hide this!Advertise here!