Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

TPA3255EVM to complete amp (advise needed)
TPA3255EVM to complete amp (advise needed)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd October 2016, 01:48 PM   #1
VerticalEaz is offline VerticalEaz
diyAudio Member

Default TPA3255EVM to complete amp (advise needed)

Good day all,

I am new to the forum but it seems that there is a wealth of information to be had here

I was looking for a good set of 2.1 desktop speakers/amp but unfortunately high end models like the corsair SP2500 is not available in my country and importing it via the likes of amazon will work out more than double the list price when taking shipping and taxes into consideration.

That's when I thought that I might take my first step into the world of DIY audio. I can get my hands on the TPA3255EVM (TPA3255 325W Stereo/ 600W mono PurePath Ultra-HD Analog Input Power Stage Evaluation Module - TPA3255EVM - TI Tool Folder) for $250 converted when it releases and figured that might be an ideal place to start if I can buy some descent bookshelf speakers for a quality 2.0 setup.

I am by no means an audio expert but I have degree of experience with electronics in general and I was hoping someone on the forum could help me with the following questions:

1) What do you think of the TPA3255DDV specifications? I reckon I will drive 2 x 100 Watt, 8 ohm bookshelf speakers so I will stay well below 1%THD+N. Do you think it's good value at that power and distortion level considering the Class D amp can get away with a much smaller PSU? Or are there commercial options that are better value(I have not seen any)?

2) What is a good PSU to use for this amplifier? Would something like the SP-750-48 (http://www.mantech.co.za/datasheets/.../SP-750-MW.pdf) work are switching mode PSUs a very bad idea for audio amps? Ripple noise is listed as 120mVp-p max which is a very small % at 48V, but information regarding the switching frequency is not available so I am not sure if anything will fall within the audio band. Where can one buy stand-alone low noise linear amps? They seem to almost non existent.

I do have some additional questions but those above are the ones that will determine if proceeding with a project like this is even worth while.

Your input on this is much appreciated
Old 3rd October 2016, 05:31 PM   #2
doctormord is offline doctormord  Germany
diyAudio Member

Excellent choice. Just need to find a good supply for the board.
Old 5th October 2016, 08:59 AM   #3
Kjeldsen is offline Kjeldsen  Denmark
diyAudio Member

this clould be another option

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...860.0.0.MxuDrM

or in a box

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/G3H-...d2d065e2&tpp=1
Old 5th October 2016, 01:16 PM   #4
VerticalEaz is offline VerticalEaz
diyAudio Member

So I just ordered the TPA3255EVM today :-)

Not sure on PSU yet but will use a bench supply in the meantime to test.

What would you recommend for volume control? A potentiometer in line with the input will be the easiest but surely this cannot be good for audio fidelity?

I am looking at designing a custom pre-amp using the PGA2311 and a MCU with a little LCD display.

If the amp is supplied with a full volume input and my speakers are rated for 100W per channel surely the amp will blow my speakers!
Old 6th October 2016, 08:10 AM   #5
Kjeldsen is offline Kjeldsen  Denmark
diyAudio Member

If you will keep the distortion down, then the TPA3255 in stereo mode is "just" 100 watt in 8 ohm. But even quite high music level in normal living room only requires 20-30 watt.
Old 6th October 2016, 08:48 AM   #6
tributeaudio is offline tributeaudio  China
Banned

Default Power Supply

Hi, I use a second hand X-Box PSU, easy conversion to 12 VDC, 17 amp (later models were 12amp, but this is more than enough) then I added a Power Booster from E/Bay DC DC 600W 10 60V to 12 80V Boost Converter Step Up Module Power Supply | eBay and stepped it up to 30 VDC. Been running 6 months now, no problem.
Old 6th October 2016, 11:44 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I'd go for the Meanwell supply together with the EVM.
Old 8th October 2016, 08:15 AM   #8
hormilo is offline hormilo  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjeldsen View Post
So this are the first comercially available boards with tpa 325x chip? Looks like the power supply is already integrated on the board...right? Enyone thinking to buy one to test?
Old 8th October 2016, 10:00 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

We have had a discussion about this board/amp in the 3251 thread - there where some flaws in the first batch/revision, now fixed. To my knowledge no "real" measurements available.
Old 8th October 2016, 10:06 AM   #10
hormilo is offline hormilo  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

tnx Doctormord ....how far is the development of your board? I would really love to get those chips run into the production. 3116 is good, but a little more power would be perfect .

TPA3255EVM to complete amp (advise needed)Hide this!Advertise here!