Board for small home audio system

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,
this is my first post/request, even if i read alot in these days regarding class-d amps. hope you can help me in my choices :)

i've recently bought a pair of Scythe Kro Craft spekers for a little more "hi-fi" system in my room. I've spent days trying to figure out what is the best amplifier board for me but i had not find any clear solution.

i read that for that pair of speaker (8ohm) a 50w+50w board is a good solution to exploit their capabilities, so i was oriented towards the tpa3116 boards. it will be power by a spare 19v laptop psu.

i want to connect my pc via wired input to high quality listenings, but at the same time i would like to have bluetooth connectivity for occasional listenings from my (and others) phone/generic bluetooth devices.
in addition, a CSR8645 based board would be the target since i want to take advantage of the aptX codec for hi quality streaming and be futureproof.

so, i'm basically searching for wired input + 8645 bluetooth input board of good quality. However, i did not find many solution, especially because the 8645 is less diffused as onboard chip.
Moreover, i've read of many bluetooth boards with noise and poor quality issues, so an advice could be very useful.

I was also thinking to choose a wired input only board and add bluetooth conncetivity with an external receiver if this could improve the overall sound quality. it will be you telling me if this is true or not :)

In the future, i will also think to connect a raspberry based media center with wires, but in that case i will have to use an external input switch, is it right? never seen board with three wired inputs.

Hope you can give me some hints about, thank you!

Hi,
sorry but I don't know anything about BT and classD amps
but recently I've been following a thread on an italian DIY forum about that speakers, and a clever guy managed to design a proper crossover for them.
Result: + 40$ in parts for a 60$ speaker pair :p
( far better than the 50 cents 0.33 uF cap in series with the tweeter...)

Hi,
sorry but I don't know anything about BT and classD amps
but recently I've been following a thread on an italian DIY forum about that speakers, and a clever guy managed to design a proper crossover for them.
Result: + 40$ in parts for a 60$ speaker pair :p
( far better than the 50 cents 0.33 uF cap in series with the tweeter...)

can you post or pm the link to the discussion, i'm italian too ;)

You should look at this recent thread, which covers a very similar scenario to yours.

My takeaway is that there aren't obvious single-board solutions. Separate bluetooth and amp boards are probably your best bet, and you'll also need to do something about switching sources.

what you mean for doing something about switching sources? the possibility of having more than one input? do you have any idea about this?

Hi,
... recently I've been following a thread on an italian DIY forum about that speakers...

please link, thank you.

i have 2 pairs of those kro craft speakers as local shop was some sort of main dealer of scythe for balkans and i bought them new for 200hrk(28$ us to be precise), could be that there was some error with price, later i bought another pair but with amplifier for 300hrk used :D.

i like how they sound for money but if there is way to improove why not.

been powering them with 3116 2.1 board as satelites, original scbks 1100 amplifier,lm3886 2x25w powered by smpsu,old jvc RK1OL amplifier, tas 5630 based on shure elec. modules with toroid psus,and who knows what more ,cant remember.

those speakers go best with amplifier with tone controls where you can boost highs little bit, just little bit.and they sound very nice on d-class amps.

edit: mute probably active when pins shorted

Last edited:
Thank you all,

at the end i've bought on amazon this board as a first try (it was the cheapest and it arrives on monday, cant wait to try :p):

https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B01C45WB8C

someone ever tried this board? for the price i think it will not surely sound very good, it seems to be a very basic board for what i know about this stuff (still very little :) )

Do you know any mods i could do to improve it in the future?

the board has finally arrived and i've tried with my scythe kro craft. not bad for a first glance after have thrown away my logitech 2.1 cheap system :)

now it's the time for some improvements, so i need your help as a newbie! here are more detailed photos of teh board that i had just picked (XH-M189 board). dont know if it is a nice quality one or not, it's just te first one to starting having fun with diy and learn something

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

1. are there some components i can replace to improve sound quality? i heard that one of the first mods is to replace the big capacitors. what is their role in the board? also the volume pot could be changed with a better one? i know that many of you prefer to bypass at all the volume control, but for me it would be good to have it.
I also would like to replace the input connector with some good rca connectors, can you suggest me something better and cheap?

2. i'm using a 19v spare laptop power supply to feed the amp right now, but i've read that TPA3116D2 works better at 21v. considering that my speakers are not so efficient it could be worth to upgrade the power supply, do you know any cheap and adequate one with higher voltage on ebay or amazon?

3. I have chosen this board mainly because of its second aux input. I want to connect a bluetooth receiver (or a raspberry output in the future). Do you now how it works? it just simply mix the signal with the primary input signal? or it has a sort of auto-mute function? i cannot try it right now since i dont have cables and stuff (i recently moved to a new apartment).
The idea for now is to connect an external bluetooth receiver, since i heard that the bluetooth-integrated board did not sound very good.

what about this CSR8645 module?

from the pinout scheme it seemed to me that it has an analogue audio output, am i wrong? if not, how i should connect it? there are negative and positive pins for let and right channel each one plus the analogue ground, while the aux input in the board just two + ground. do you think it is also possible to implement a mod which mutes the primary input of the amp when bluetooth gets connected?

sorry for these, maybe stupid, questions, but i'm just new and i would like to learn something. hope you can help!

I wouldn't buy that BT module, there is more work to do to make it work than you think. What would be easier is a bluetooth receiver board with one of those modules on it. It will have a 12v power connector (and among other things a voltage regulator to drop the voltage to what the CSR module needs) and a 3.5mm and/or RCA outputs.

Here's an example, and it has the extra input you want:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/222064631061?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Be forwarned that sometimes you get noise when you marry these things together. I had good luck with this one but you might have a different experience

By the way, the bluetooth integrated TPA3116 board that XRK and doctormord talk about elsewhere on this forum works VERY well. But it does not have an aux input.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.