I'm overwhelmed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Maybe I can ask for some suggestions, a particular chip or board? I'm interested in buying a complete amp mainly, but I'm not opposed to diy. Under $100? I just want something that sounds good, has little gain switches on the board, and will run on a 15 volt supply, and doesn't produce pops and bangs.. Thank you very much for any guidance!

I think people have had good luck with this Sanwu TDA7498 board. No case, but it has pretty much everything else: Volume pot, gain switches, RCA inputs, barrel jack for power and screw terminals for speakers. I don't have one, yet, but I do have another Sanwu TDA7498 board with no pot or RCA jacks, and has low-noise and no nasty turn-on pop. A major caveat though, I don't know how it will do on a 15v supply. That's the lower limit of the suggested operating range.

Thank you so much, easp. I remember looking at that one, but it was about the time I started getting overwhelmed, and they all started looking the same to me. It's hard being new to these things because I haven't seen the progression from one board to the next, so it's hard to put them in any kind of framework to relate them to each other in my mind. It helps a lot to have a little guidance, and I will definitely consider that board, it looks ideal, it's certainly inexpensive enough to try it. The TDA7498 seems from what I can tell to be a good chip these days. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Joined 2015
Paid Member
Aux TDA7492P 50W 50W Wireless Bluetooth 4 0 Audio Digital Amplifie Case Kit US | eBay

I have had great success with these. Have built a few bluetooth stereos that everyone (including me) Loves the sound of. I'm not kidding or exaggerating when I say that I like the sound of these more than ANY of the box store receivers I have listened to.

Supply - From 16-20V, and 3+ (real) amps
Speakers - ABOVE 4 ohms. 5 is fine even, just don't go 4 and under. Up to 12.

They really are great little boards, and the bluetooth is a great added feature. Like I said I've got a bunch and no fakes so far.

Many thanks, kb2wl! I'm amazed at what is available these days, for a little cash and diy effort. I think I might stick with a simpler design, as I have no bluetooth experience at all, lol, but I can see the advantages. I'm also fairly paranoid about MAGNETS, having had a drive destroyed once..I do really appreciate the suggestion though, you are all making suggestions that I can really use, and it is a cool item!

Last edited:
Hello Jerms, the SA 60 and it's good reviews were what initially interested me in these things. Part of the problem is I have some chassis ideas I'd like to use, so I got pulled away from that, but it's tempting still. I get an arc when I plug the AC side of my laptop power supply sometimes, so I worry lol. Thank you for your input, I appreciate it!

Joined 2015
Paid Member
The magnets have nothing to do with function. I just unscrew them, haven't used them once. And as far as complicated, it's already built. This is not a kit. So really doesn't get any simpler. Stereo input, with Bluetooth if you decide you want it. There's nothing to "setup". You turn it on and tell your phone to connect. Done.

Easy as they come 🙂

Awesome heads up, gec, thank you! I also find this image coool.

:)

These amps are what I'm looking at ATM.

TDA7498 2 100W 2 Channel Audio Stereo Digital Power Amplifier Board DC 15 34V | eBay

DC 12V 24V TPA3116 Dual Channel Stereo 50W 2 BTL Mono 100W Audio Amplifier Board | eBay

and

TDA8932 35W Digital Amplifier Board Module Low Power Mono Power 10V 30V | eBay

I'm a little confused how to figure out if they have 'bootstrap snubbers', however, apparently some don't...

Thank you again!

Attachments

• fantastic2.JPG
    fantastic2.JPG
    299 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.