Some Class-D questions!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,
I'm hoping to take advantage of the excellent know-how in the forums here for some advice - as I am *very* new to combining these boards to make working amplifiers.

The speakers I am hoping to drive are 2x dipole (sub)woofers, which I plan to build to handle 40-300Hz region. (KaZba dipoles to be exact).

I think I will want at least 100watts into 4 ohms. The speakers RMS power handling is 160Watts.

Looking at specs alone, this ebay board looks good:
TAS5630 300W 300W Class D Digital Audio Amplifier Board Hifi With AD827 Preamp | eBay

I just have a few questions:
I can easily source a 48V supply, in either 7.5A (360W) or 10A (480W).
1) I am confident I won't need more than 150W, and the RMS rating of the speaker drivers is 160W anyway, so would I get away with the 360W supply? (The exact power supply in question is here: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AC-220V-TO-DC-5V-12V-24V-48V-Switch-Power-Supply-Driver-Adapter-For-LED-Strip-/131811768404?var=&hash=item1eb097f854:m:mXxLtRZT4NqNx2ryBtUYWxg)

2) These LED power supplies have 3 lines for both +ve and -ve DC output - do I wire all 3 +ves to the +ve input of the amp board and all 3 -ve to the -ve? Or only one of each? Do I also then ground the ground output of the power supply to the chassis of the enclosure? If so does this preclude me from having a plastic case?

3) There appears to be no volume control on this and many other class-d amp boards - are people changing volume via the output of their sound source to change volume? Would there be dip switches or resistors I would change to cap the max volume?

4) If any of this is a terrible idea and you have other suggestions in the similarish price point would anyone be able to advise?

Thanks all!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.