"Phantom Powered" 48v Class D Powered Speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Diy'ers,

I have a project that is underway which includes balanced XLR outputs (L and R) that will normally be connected to active professional speakers. These active speakers will be powered by 120v AC (normal pro powered speaker).

Sometimes, a smaller speaker is desired. Something small and low output (5watt to 10watt). I'm trying to come up with a way to incorporate the possibility to run these smaller speakers from this project in the simplest way possible. My project already has XLR out, so why not Phantom Power!?

I know, this is NOT what phantom power was designed for. It's meant to power certain microphones. Would it work though?

- would it be possible theoretically to capture the phantom power from an XLR cable and step it down to 5v DC used to power a typical low-power class D amplifier ic?
- would the normal active powered speaker get "blown up" if this unique Phantom Power module is turned on when it gets plugged in? I know microphones essentially ignore the added phantom power when it doesn't need it, would this apply to a typical balanced line receiver too???

The point is that this concept would make it possible to connect a low powered speaker to my project with the exact same jack and cable requirements. It would allow for the connection of either a pro powered or a custom low powered speaker. Any advice is appreciated! Thank you.

Jay

Last edited:
Yes, phantom power is very low. But maybe not that low which made it unusable. Average power of 0.5 W can be enough for reasonable usage, about 5-10 W peak, if an energy storage element is used, I mean a big capacitor. The main challenge is to keep idle loss very low...

Supply voltage of 5 V is too low, use 12 V at least! Actually with single ended amplifier and 8 ohm load you need more than 16 V for 4 W of music power.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.