Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

My tpa3118 board - comments/critiques?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th August 2016, 10:42 PM   #61
matt_garman is offline matt_garman  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Summary Post

Just to bring a bit of closure to this little project: the main point was to introduce myself to board design. And in that regards these are a huge success. At the end of the day, this design is really just a tweak of DUG's design. The schematic is identical to DUG's, except for the addition of two power supply decoupling capacitors. All the component values use the same identifier (i.e. R1 on this board has the same function as R1 on DUG's board).

Because this is literally a first design from a novice; and also because DUG and GMARSH have excellent group buy boards available, I assumed no one would be interested in these boards. And indeed, so far jfetter is the only one who's shown interest in actually getting these boards.

But in the spirit of being an "open source" project, here I'm posting a few things for anyone who might be interested in this project:
  • BOM, in three formats: CSV, PDF, and ODS. Content is the same in each file, I'm providing three formats for convenience.
  • Eagle files: the SCM and BRD (schematic and board) files.
  • Gerber files: in case you want to have them fabricated. I had the fab done by Elecrow without any issue (under $20 shipped to USA for 10 boards!)
  • And some pics of two finished boards

Thanks again to everyone who helped me with this design!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bare_board_back_20160810.jpg (82.3 KB, 288 views)
File Type: jpg bare_board_front_20160810.jpg (91.4 KB, 281 views)
File Type: jpg stuffed_pair_1_20160820.jpg (84.0 KB, 291 views)
File Type: jpg stuffed_pair_2_20160820.jpg (92.3 KB, 339 views)
File Type: jpg stuffed_pair_3_20160820.jpg (112.6 KB, 278 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip tpa3118_pbtl_bom-20160826.zip (74.9 KB, 40 views)
File Type: zip tpa3118_pbtl_eagle-20160721.zip (113.5 KB, 43 views)
File Type: zip tpa3118_pbtl_gerber-20160721.zip (134.2 KB, 19 views)
Old 27th August 2016, 01:33 AM   #62
DUG is offline DUG  Canada
diyAudio Member

Very nice.
Old 27th August 2016, 09:17 AM   #63
jfetter is offline jfetter  Costa Rica
diyAudio Member

Great job Matt, excellent build.

I really like those inductors!
Old 18th October 2016, 03:41 PM   #64
diyAudio Member

While I love the deliciously overkill Coilcraft VER inductors, they consume a significant amount of board real estate (and are expensive and only available directly from CC). So I tweaked the design a bit, here's version 2.0. Changes:
  • Use ICE Components 1D14A inductors instead of Coilcraft. Cheaper, smaller, easier to get, but still with decent specs.
  • More power supply decoupling capacitors. Save money on Coilcraft inductors and spend it on OS-CON capacitors.
  • Overall reduced board size, 70x44
  • Added an on-board LED
  • Added a header pin for an off-board LED
  • Actually labeled the header pins/terminal blocks

Too many projects in the queue right now to actually fab and experiment with these. But if anyone is interested, let me know and I'll provide any desired files.
Attached Images
File Type: png hotdoug_v2_20161018.png (159.5 KB, 111 views)
Old 18th October 2016, 09:03 PM   #65
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.

Very nice - looks like brute of a TPA

I personally, think the CC's are the main badge of honor on these amps so would keep them.
Old 19th October 2016, 02:44 AM   #66
muddyboots is offline muddyboots
diyAudio Member

These look really awesome, excellent work! But, Matt, we gotta know...how do they sound???
Old 20th October 2016, 10:29 PM   #67
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyboots View Post
These look really awesome, excellent work! But, Matt, we gotta know...how do they sound???
Well, to be honest, I haven't done any critical listening with them. My main goal was to familiarize myself with PCB design and actually produce something that works. And in that regard---thanks to much hand-holding from this community---it was a great success. (Also, thanks to Gmarsh's tips, I now having experience doing reflow soldering via frying pan!)

That said, at least with casual listening, I don't hear any obvious flaws. In fact, I'm a little scared to attempt any true critical listening with these, for fear of extreme "baby bias" (they are my babies, after all).

Also, basically as soon as I validated that they were working, I shifted gears to focus on DACs. Some day I'll circle back to amps.
Old 21st October 2016, 12:08 PM   #68
muddyboots is offline muddyboots
diyAudio Member

Ha, fair enough. Well you definitely did a great job, and it's always fun to pick up a new skill. Do you have a BOM? I might be interested in building one if the cost isn't too great.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk
Old 21st October 2016, 04:17 PM   #69
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyboots View Post
Ha, fair enough. Well you definitely did a great job, and it's always fun to pick up a new skill. Do you have a BOM? I might be interested in building one if the cost isn't too great.
Yup, the BOM is posted above in post #61.

If you're pretty serious about doing this, I have some extra un-populated boards I could send you, assuming you are in the USA. PM me if interested.

The BOM isn't exactly cheap, particularly because of the Coilcraft inductors, the fancy film caps, and the OSCON capacitors. Of course you can substitute accordingly, as long as things will fit.

Note some people have been able to obtain free sample inductors from Coilcraft. The price of their actual inductors isn't too bad in my opinion, but with their manufacturer-direct model I don't think they are targeting small quantity hobbyists like us. So they don't have any super low-cost shipping methods, which means for small orders, the effective per-inductor price becomes rather high once shipping is factored in.

By the way, all the above applies to the v1.0 board. The v2.0 board that I recently posted I haven't actually had manufactured, nor have I created a BOM for it (although the bulk of it is the same as v1.0, just a few tweaks).
Old 24th October 2016, 03:09 AM   #70
jfetter is offline jfetter  Costa Rica
diyAudio Member

matt, i'm thinking the CC inductors possibly have a minimum distance requirement to cancel open solenoid interaction?

silly question but would the amps sound change if the CCs are bucking or in phase relative to physical mounting?

bruce

My tpa3118 board - comments/critiques?Hide this!Advertise here!