Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

what D amp give best sound.
what D amp give best sound.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st February 2020, 08:11 PM   #391
amplidude is offline amplidude  Denmark
diyAudio Member

It's jlester he has a thread in vendors, nice guy, good service.
Old 4th February 2020, 11:29 AM   #392
Kay Pirinha is offline Kay Pirinha  Germany
diyAudio Member

I'm quite satisfied with the sonic performance of my TI TPA3255 EVM build, but I really don't know if it is the best class D amplifier ever. One of the most versatile it surely is.
Best regards!
Old 5th February 2020, 12:38 AM   #393
mhouston is offline mhouston  Australia
diyAudio Member

Just built a super low profile 100W Class D amp in a 1U smart ash black rack mount. Single 36V rail and power filter with 19,000uf of filter caps. Uses a single stereo modules about credit card size. Very happy with the sound will do over 70W into 8. Based on the TDA7498 chip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg F25534C6-6957-4F88-A819-43145ECE9041.jpeg (206.7 KB, 757 views)
File Type: jpeg 0D8C9FE5-615F-4E07-9FE4-279B82D03EDD.jpeg (108.3 KB, 918 views)
File Type: jpeg 2C5BC523-A4D4-4270-BDCD-C768C8709E4C.jpeg (86.7 KB, 875 views)
Old 5th February 2020, 04:09 PM   #394
ghitus is offline ghitus  Italy
diyAudio Member

Bravo, very nice build!
Old 5th February 2020, 04:38 PM   #395
impuls60 is offline impuls60  Norway
diyAudio Member

Mhouston, I want to give a tip about cap placement regarding class D. The impedance of 10cm of wire is really high at 3-400kHz. That cap bank is not able to work the best with such thin cables and beeing placed so far away. In class D design the caps should be placed millimeters from the demand. Look at Gmarsh's Wiener tpa3116 thread to learn about class D placement designs. Its very informative. If you made your design deliberately to avoid cap bank oscillation disregard this post.
Old 5th February 2020, 05:08 PM   #396
Douglas Blake is offline Douglas Blake  Canada
Account Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by impuls60 View Post
Mhouston, I want to give a tip about cap placement regarding class D. The impedance of 10cm of wire is really high at 3-400kHz. That cap bank is not able to work the best with such thin cables and beeing placed so far away. In class D design the caps should be placed millimeters from the demand. Look at Gmarsh's Wiener tpa3116 thread to learn about class D placement designs. Its very informative. If you made your design deliberately to avoid cap bank oscillation disregard this post.
While I will agree the power wiring does seem a bit light, I do wonder if you missed the large bulk capacitor on the amp board itself. The supply will be operating at 60hz and outputting DC to the board.
Old 5th February 2020, 09:04 PM   #397
mhouston is offline mhouston  Australia
diyAudio Member

Regardless the amp works and sound very good.
Old 1st June 2020, 12:53 PM   #398
VactubesJM is offline VactubesJM
diyAudio Member

Hello and sorry if this question is posted in the wrong place.

Has anyone had an experience with classdaudio.com's amps?

TIA,
JM
Old 3rd June 2020, 07:38 PM   #399
Albrerta is offline Albrerta  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VactubesJM View Post
Hello and sorry if this question is posted in the wrong place.

Has anyone had an experience with classdaudio.com's amps?

TIA,
JM
I'm using classdaudio's sds-250 at the moment. I bought it more than 5 years ago, back then powered it using 300W smps at about +-48v, it sounded OK, but was dull and lifeless, the bass easily lost control. I used for about half a year then replaced with something else.

Couple weeks ago, out of curiosity, I want to try it again, this time I'm using linear PS +-50v, it sounds really good! I use a 600VA toroidal, CRCRC total 48000uf, the last C are (one each for + and -) 15000uf, big Philips screw top caps have very high ripple current capability. The preamp is Korg Nutube B1 bought here in diyaudio store

Now the amp sounds really nice, a bit warm, very powerful, the bass is well controlled. It might lack some very fine details, and feel mostly 2D rather 3D sound stage.

A high quality power supply is very important, also I'm using SE input but read that balanced input may sound even better.
Old 3rd June 2020, 10:47 PM   #400
ElliJ is offline ElliJ  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

@albrerta I agree that a good input can make an amazing difference to the sound. I was using the DAC in my DX160 as an input for my TPA3255, the quality was amazing but it was slightly to clinical. I then got a Khadas Tone Board DAC and my amp really came alive. With the Khadas it still had all the quality but added warmth, it sounded more analog. I’m not sure a balanced input would improve a system noticeably if it had no audible hissing or interference.
  Reply to this post

what D amp give best sound.Hide this!Advertise here!