Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

what D amp give best sound.
what D amp give best sound.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th November 2016, 03:36 PM   #21
dublin78 is offline dublin78  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Anyway for my active system I need at least 6 amps and 86 Euro x6 plus power supplies is not cheap. Finally the power is excessive for both tweeters and midrange.
Hypex recommend 1x SMPS400A180 power supply for 6 x UCD180 modules, so you may not need 6x power supplies for your application. The mids and tweets do not need much current. Don't worry about having too many watts. Better to have too many, than too few.
Old 10th November 2016, 03:48 PM   #22
Osvaldo de Banfield is offline Osvaldo de Banfield  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Location: Barrio Garay,Almirante Brown, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Default What?

As a first, it would be interesting to know what do you understand as "Best sound", no?
Old 12th November 2016, 11:43 AM   #23
ginogino is offline ginogino  Italy
diyAudio Member

Only smps1200a180 can power without limitations, 6 ucd180 modules (datasheet pag. 11 e 12, sez. outpower) , the smps400a180 can feed, 2 ucd180 modules.
Old 14th November 2016, 10:16 AM   #24
dublin78 is offline dublin78  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hypex themselves stated to me that 1x SMPS400A180 would be fine for 6x UCD180. Can't get better confirmation than that methinks.
Old 14th November 2016, 10:27 AM   #25
mhouston is offline mhouston  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osvaldo de Banfield View Post
As a first, it would be interesting to know what do you understand as "Best sound", no?
After building six or seven Class Ds and selling all but one (which I like) there are better sounding in your/my system Ds. Amps and spears are a marriage get right and you're in heaven. No need to start e the other alternative.

BUT, BUT, BUT, BUT, BUT, I would only ever employ linear PSs. And I would suggest Tripath Ds. They are beating the best SS amps around. Look out for reviews.
Old 14th November 2016, 10:29 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Should add I'm about to finished some Tripath T3 150W momoblocks with 44,000uf of ultra low ESR Mundorf MLytic caps.
Old 14th November 2016, 10:47 AM   #27
kees52 is offline kees52  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I see there a lot of investications about D amps, I had the idea when without feedback making digital a triangle signal because when it is precise and liniair the amp give the lowest distortion.

Neat a power dig to an converter.
Old 14th November 2016, 11:39 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kees52 View Post
I see there a lot of investications about D amps, I had the idea when without feedback making digital a triangle signal because when it is precise and liniair the amp give the lowest distortion.

Neat a power dig to an converter.
The amps I'm talking about are not digital they are switching amps. You can buy digital amp modules though.
Old 14th November 2016, 01:14 PM   #29
kartino is offline kartino  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

UcD is the best sounding class D
I have tried many
Old 14th November 2016, 02:12 PM   #30
kees52 is offline kees52  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouston View Post
The amps I'm talking about are not digital they are switching amps. You can buy digital amp modules though.
Yes I mean class D amps.

A triangle is used as input for modulation, this has to be a very presice signal because it has direct impact on liniarity. Making this digital with a pcocessor is maybe a way to get a low distortion class D amp, even without feedback. I have to say also that the death time is also a uge factor for distortion, use of a extreme fast mosfet is needed to get as less death time as possible.

In principle it is a digital amp, it is a power digital to analog converter with use of demodulation coil.

regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenHunter_ Nov. 14 16.09.jpg (167.8 KB, 1519 views)

what D amp give best sound.Hide this!Advertise here!