TPA3255 - all about DIY, Discussion, Design etc

90% of the specs for 10% of the price is the name of the game. :)

Really though, I think I just like the cheap Chinese boards because for what they are, they sound quite good.

If I spend a bunch of money on something I expect it to sound good and be good quality.

When I spend $20, I expect garbage, so when I get something half decent it is exciting.

Anyway, back to the chip at hand. I like the wide input voltage range, makes quick testing on a laptop power brick a possibility to make sure the circuit is wired correctly before putting it in an enclosure. Looks like a quality IC for newer designs.

Never seen a 36-50V laptop supply . ;)

But yeah, the expanded voltage range is a nice bonus even when not going for full output power spec.

OT:

Except that, is your job 90% work at 10% money as well?

Chinese culture is, to my knowledge, let others do 90% of r&d and then take over the efforts for the rest of the 10% work. :)

But that's how the world is working today. Get everything for nothing.

Supply range is listed as 12V to 50V, so yes, you certainly wont get full output from a 19V laptop brick, but it will power up the circuit and let you make sure it at least works before burying it in a cabinet somewhere with the real supply. At least that's how I see it.

OT:

I do basically do 90% of the work for 10% of the money at my current place of employment. Seriously though, I do, I really need to start looking around. At least I enjoy what I do now though.

Why use a laptop brick? 48V power supplies are very easy to come by, in telecom land they're commonly called rectifiers.

Here's 1750 watts for 69 USD. Slightly overkill, and you'll have to bodge on your own input/output connections and probably jumper a couple things for the thing to start up, but overall it's hard to beat things like this watts per dollar.

Emerson R48 1800A Rectifier Converter 35A 48V DC 1750W | eBay

I tend to test with laptop bricks because I have a couple laying around, and in the event I did screw up wiring something it will likely be less severe than if I had 48v and a bunch of current going in. I am not saying to run it off of one long term by any means.

That said, thanks for the tip on "rectifiers", seems much cheaper than buying a "power supply". Funny how changing a word can raise the price up. Haha

Thanks for the tip on the "Rectifier". I suppose two can be put in series for dual rail supply? 34 amp output sounds kind of nuts. How is that even possible?

Definitely something to keep in mind. This thing is lethal though.
I designed a 48V/100A rectifier into something in the past. Beyond that point they're generally paralleled up but I've seen bigger.

Anything's possible, you can buy DC supplies that go into the kA.

Never seen a 36-50V laptop supply . ;)

But yeah, the expanded voltage range is a nice bonus even when not going for full output power spec.

OT:

Except that, is your job 90% work at 10% money as well?

Chinese culture is, to my knowledge, let others do 90% of r&d and then take over the efforts for the rest of the 10% work. :)

But that's how the world is working today. Get everything for nothing.

C'mon doc, we heard your rant on this topic many times already. And this "cheap Chinese goods vs. high quality stuffs" has been debated way too much already. You may think your comment is amusing but a lot of people feel your comment is borderline on insulting. The western world is a free market economy, the consumers buy whatever they want to buy. Different products have different buyers. We all know that. If one believe he/she is making quality stuffs and yet nobody is buying, that person should rethink why the market is not responding. May be that product is not what the market wants.

Lets get back on the topic.

OT:

We're do I insult people? Prosperity on the costs of others is the "western worlds" way. This ain't meant to be funny but the truth. Of course everyone can source their stuff wherever he/she wants to.

If it gets the job done, fine. But I can't get behind the fact that ppl buy cheap stuff to mod the hell out of it just to get an (subjective/objective) improvement for higher costs than getting something "better" at first. And it's a true fact that a lot of stuff from I.e. China is developed by someone else and then get flooded to the market at a super low price made with no care for environment and subsidized by the Chinese government. Even Kickstarter campaigns get copied and mass produced even before they finished founding. Is this something you would call "proper" business? To me, it's a bit disconcerting.

I mean, there are so many different 3118/3116 amp boards on the market, almost every single version lacks in some point and ppl complaining about performance, hum, hiss etc.

This at least isn't true for the latest Samwhu boards, from what I'd read.

Even the Iraud copies fail at some point or don't work like intended, but actually are just copies of the reference designs.

For the rest, I'm out as I don't have any products to sell. :)

So yeah, let's get back to topic.

Reactions: 1 user
Go go gadjet 3255. :sax:

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_8767_960.jpg
    IMG_8767_960.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 11,014