TPA3255 - all about DIY, Discussion, Design etc

I want to reduce losses to a minimum, as it is off-grid system the losses will reduce the time I can play music. I will prefer to limit the max voltage of the battery (which at least increase battery life). I have seen some pictures of the board made by aiyima, it has a 80v capacitor. I guess this is to stabilise the input power so no problem if voltage is above 50v. But I see there are other 50v capacitors in the board. Will be safer to change those for 55v ones?

Not all amplifiers using TPA3255 can be used with a power supply voltage of 56V.
It is greatly restricted by the parts used.
The voltage that can be used with commercially available amplifiers such as AIYIMA A07 is limited to 48V.
Furthermore, due to insufficient heat measures, the voltage is limited to a lower voltage depending on the environment in which it is used.

I was planning to use this board ,
httpss://es.aliexpress.com/item/4000042250042.html?spm=a219c.12010612.8148356.10.3cf47340bNi80O

It has 80v cap after powersource , other cap are 50v. Will you recommend other implementation for high voltage? I wil prefer to work with a 48v battery ( maybe limited to 50v max) than a lower voltage one. My plan is to used a 4 ohm 200 rms subwoofer and a tweeter around 60w. In mono or 2.1 with two tweeters and same subwoofer. Thanks

I have purchased two of these products and are currently using them.
The price is cheap, but the manufacturing quality is very good.
The sound quality is as good as AIYIMA A07 & A04.
There is no pop noise when the power is turned on / off.
White noise when there is no sound is a level that cannot be confirmed unless the ear is attached to the speaker unit.
It is convenient to have a tone control for normal use.

There is only one point to worry about.
Every time the power is turned on, continuous noise with a high frequency of about 10 seconds is generated. (piee ...)
The noise level is very small and does not matter. After 10 seconds, the noise will stop and become quiet.
This symptom is not limited to this unit, but is common to amplifiers equipped with other BTs.

Thank you again Toku-san. I just received the Aiyima amplifier, and it is as you said. The sound quality is as good or better than the A04. Mine has the noise when the device turns on as well.

3e-audio

I ordered a 3e-audio tpa3255, 2-channel from ali. From mouser I picked up a meanwell lrs-350-48. This was meant as an inexpensive way for me to upgrade from a Yamaha HTR-5920, at least I hoped it would be an upgrade. I'm a woodworker and experienced DIYer and my ultimate goal is to build a wood/aluminum chassis / case for the components and make a proper amp. Being an impatient person I needed to test out the amp asap after the components had arrived. I hacked it together enough to give it a listen. I upgraded/changed the opamps to 2 LME49720NA/NOPB. I connected the headphone out from my laptop to the tpa3255 and gave it a test run. It sounded great to my ears. It stayed this way for weeks as I haven't yet had the time to put together the amp as an actual complete unit yet. Over the weekend I reverted back to the Yamaha amp. Wow - the Yamaha doesn't sound bad but it is not as crisp and clear (sounds like a beer) as the tpa3255. The tpa3255 sounds more dynamic with better instrument distinction and clearness. I can't describe it well with words but I definitely prefer it to the Yamaha and I bet it will sound even better when I get it in a proper box :) Just wanted to share for anyone who might be interested in a 3e-audio and wanted to hear another experience.

So is there an ideal voltage for the tpa3255 or does it vary with implementation?

And has anyone tested the distortion at various voltages?

If not answered in the meantime. The distortion alters over supply voltage in total distortion and distribution. This behavour raises to high frequencies and starts at 1-2 kHz. Especially the 2. and 3. harmonics starts increasing.

I have tested it at 1, 4 and 10 W at 8 ohm load with comparable results. The best distortion figure (low 2. and 3.) is at 35 V.

Measured on a Aiyima A07. After modification to PFFB the distortion behaviour remains, but lowered in value.

How bad of an idea is it to get a cheap LLC SMPS on Taobao for the HanZao TPA3255? I'm thinking of getting this:

Eufr9BT.png

BaKycNA.png

lrrwbwU.png

UJgnTLX.png

At least it has plenty of reviews...

Last edited:
Just started a layout, in order to practice with Kicad and shake off my Eagle habits. Bog standard stereo BTL, mostly inspired by the TI EVM. Just adding most of a linear PS onboard, as well as a proper instrumentation amp style input.

I'll post the kicad files once I'm done. That might take a while though :eek:

Attachments

• tpa.png
    tpa.png
    250.6 KB · Views: 484
  • tpa3255-schem.pdf
    194.1 KB · Views: 139

Hi,

i have 3Way Dipole Speaker with 10-35WRMS (4 Ohm) per Way. Right now i use a Adau1701 DSP -> PCM5102 -> Multichannel AVR (as AMP)

I want to sell the AVR and buy some HanZao Boards. If i have understood right, i need 3 HanZao Boards. And what i have read so far for 4 Ohm speaker with less WRMS the TPA3251 is superior. Is this right? Than i would take this one....

Can i take the PSU you mentioned above for the TPA3251? If i have 3 Hanzao TPA3251 Boards, will one of the above PSU deliver enough energy for my speaker or do i need 2 or 3 PSU?

Best regards and thank you for the help!

Tomas