TPA3255 - all about DIY, Discussion, Design etc

Opamps

Thanks linuxfan and drMordor. I am going to go for the MC33272, my soldering has improved a lot so I will hopefully have no problems. Not sure which version of the MC33272 I need, there are 2 on RS Components. drMordor which ones should I get?

Attachments

• 32397A95-74BC-41AB-BFB7-FCA2B476FCE0.jpg
    32397A95-74BC-41AB-BFB7-FCA2B476FCE0.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 490
I apologize if this has been answered before in this thread, though I did do a search in the thread for "Volume" and "Volume Control" but did not find an easy answer to this questions.

I bought a EAUMT-0260-2-B TPA3255 2x260W 2Ch Class D Audio Amplifier|Amplifier| - AliExpress and I would like to have volume control. The input is coming from a TOPPING D10 DAC which does not have any controls for volume.
I can use my computer which is the source but that's not ideal. Partly because if I want to play any DSD audio, I must have computer at full output. This is not possible if I do not have any physical way to control volume.

I though about adding a pre-amp like the AIYIMA 6J1 Tube preamplifier but this would alter the sound, Maybe I'd like it, but what if I don't?

What's the best way to control volume? if I was to use a POT like the Alps 10k RK27, how would I connect to the board?

Thank you,

I used an 10k SMD DACT type 21 step attenuator on my amp. They were £10 on eBay. I chose these after seeing one in an expensive passive preamp that had a lot of very good reviews. Not sure if it is the one from that preamp but it was green and the same type. I tried a brown one but when turned right down I could still here the music. Sorry I don’t have more info...get a green attenuator!!! It has perfect balance to my ears and the signal only ever goes through one resister.

Attachments

• BF8AFB3E-143C-403E-AD8D-51BAC7FB0D04.jpeg
    BF8AFB3E-143C-403E-AD8D-51BAC7FB0D04.jpeg
    193.5 KB · Views: 430
I apologize if this has been answered before in this thread, though I did do a search in the thread for "Volume" and "Volume Control" but did not find an easy answer to this questions.

I bought a EAUMT-0260-2-B TPA3255 2x260W 2Ch Class D Audio Amplifier|Amplifier| - AliExpress and I would like to have volume control. The input is coming from a TOPPING D10 DAC which does not have any controls for volume.
I can use my computer which is the source but that's not ideal. Partly because if I want to play any DSD audio, I must have computer at full output. This is not possible if I do not have any physical way to control volume.

I though about adding a pre-amp like the AIYIMA 6J1 Tube preamplifier but this would alter the sound, Maybe I'd like it, but what if I don't?

What's the best way to control volume? if I was to use a POT like the Alps 10k RK27, how would I connect to the board?

Thank you,

Hello Friend.
I assembled my 3e Audio together with a 6J1 tube preamp and at first the sound was good, but soon started to show humming.
And listening to songs with high resolution the sound was "pasty".
If you come back a few posts you will find my posts on that.
So I removed the preamplifier and connected the 3e Audio directly to my signal source, going through a motorized potentiometer with remote control for volume control.
The connection was as follows:
LINE IN (REAR PANEL OF AMPLIFIER) >> POTENTIOMENTER IN >> POTENTIOMETER OUT >> INPUT 3E AUDIO.
I must say that the sound quality without using the 6J1 tube preamp has improved considerably.

Last edited:
This is how I connected my pot. If it is wrong please can someone post that I am an idiot.

The right hand red wire is from the DAC, the middle yellow wire is to the amp and both black ground wires are together on the left. This is the same for both channels.

Attachments

• 5DDD5AEF-B1C3-490B-BFFA-C07166EBC29C.jpeg
    5DDD5AEF-B1C3-490B-BFFA-C07166EBC29C.jpeg
    133.6 KB · Views: 410

Thank you,

This is how I connected my pot. If it is wrong please can someone post that I am an idiot.

The right hand red wire is from the DAC, the middle yellow wire is to the amp and both black ground wires are together on the left. This is the same for both channels.

I think our ways of connecting the pot are similar.
I did as in the diagram below. The same for the other channel, with the potentiometer being stereo.

Attachments

• POTENCIOMETRO.png
    POTENCIOMETRO.png
    14.5 KB · Views: 426
I think our ways of connecting the pot are similar.
I did as in the diagram below. The same for the other channel, with the potentiometer being stereo.

Thank you for the reply and diagram, that helps. I think these following products should do exactly that, except that the POT can handle both channels at once instead of having two individual pots. what do you think?

1pc Japan ALPS RK27 Volume LOG Stereo Potentiometer 2 gang Dual 50K/100K/250K Knurled Shaft + PCB|Switches| - AliExpress

or

AIYIMA 1PC A 50K ALPS Potentiometer Double 6 Pin Volume Potentiometer PCB Board|Amplifier| - AliExpress

If you need volume control, you should consider a kit with remote and, maybe, source and power switching.

I only need to control volume at the amp level when I'm playing DSD files which requires I set my computer volume to 100% output for DSD to work. weird I know. I have no need for source or power supply.

This amp is for couple of desktop monitors, nothing special and I'm gutting out my existing Dayton APA150 amp that's going belly up and using the AC transformer power supply and existing connections. I made that thread here Dayton OPA150 AMP issues, only turns on when I physically heat it up w/ a dryer!

Thank you for the reply and diagram, that helps. I think these following products should do exactly that, except that the POT can handle both channels at once instead of having two individual pots. what do you think?

1pc Japan ALPS RK27 Volume LOG Stereo Potentiometer 2 gang Dual 50K/100K/250K Knurled Shaft + PCB|Switches| - AliExpress

or

AIYIMA 1PC A 50K ALPS Potentiometer Double 6 Pin Volume Potentiometer PCB Board|Amplifier| - AliExpress

Yes, whichever of the two you posted the link to will do what you want.

or

The risk here is that the pots themselves may well be fake, and of low quality, possibly leading to channel imbalance and other problems.

These DACT pots may be less of a risk:

DACT Type SMD 21 Stepped Attenuator/Volume Control Potentiometer 10 20 100 250K | eBay

I replaced the JRC4580 with MC33272 opamps. It was very fiddly, I had to make a tiny poker to push the pins over as I desoldered them. I tinned the feet of the new opamps with the tiniest amount of solder I could and then carefully soldered them into place. I did say I would do just one and then do a comparison but it was so fiddly I just wanted to get it done (sorry). I have only had a low level listen so far. I have been listening to Paul Simons Shining Like A National Guitar quite a bit over the last few days so I listened to this first. It is definitely a little more detailed, I noticed a few little details that I had not before and the cymbals are clearer. It might sound warmer but I would like to listen with more volume. It still sounds very clean/dark with no background noise. I thought it sounded amazing before changing the opamps and the only reason I did was because I could only find bad things written about the JRC4580’s. Thanks drMordor.