TPA3255 - all about DIY, Discussion, Design etc

We now have an amp that can out put + - 48 volts.

You will have an amp that is equivalent to a +/- 48 voltage dual supply ground referenced amp.

Please have a look again at my earlier post and think a bit longer about it. The maximum voltage differential seen by the loudspeaker is never more than the distance between the power rails. The maximum current that can be drawn by a 5 Ohm speaker from a bridged amp with a single 50 Volt rail is 10 Amps. Not 20.

Hello, I have a JBL car subwoofer in my house and now I need to feed him with some power. It's 300Wrms.
I'm thinking of buy some amplifier module using this TPA3255. I'm in a good way of should I check another IC?
I would like some headroom (was thinking about 400/500w amplifier).
If this suits well with my subwoofer, are there some modules you can recomend me?

Thank you very much

Hello, I have a JBL car subwoofer in my house and now I need to feed him with some power. It's 300Wrms.
I'm thinking of buy some amplifier module using this TPA3255. I'm in a good way of should I check another IC?
I would like some headroom (was thinking about 400/500w amplifier).
If this suits well with my subwoofer, are there some modules you can recomend me?

Thank you very much

Hi eX Radical

as you can read at the datahseet of TI TPA3255 the chip can with correct implementation 600Watt at PBTL with THD10% at 2R - for subwoofer maybe ok. so you have to know the impedance of your subwoofer - the max power at 4R is with 51V (table 7.3) - 315W @ 10% THD

if you really need more power you have to look some icemodules or a strong version of the mono boards IRS2092.
chris

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Some helpful diagrams from Maxim here. I think it is important to have a floating scope, otherwise the true 2x Vdd cannot be visualized:

3977Fig05.gif

3977Fig06.gif

Hi eX Radical

as you can read at the datahseet of TI TPA3255 the chip can with correct implementation 600Watt at PBTL with THD10% at 2R - for subwoofer maybe ok. so you have to know the impedance of your subwoofer - the max power at 4R is with 51V (table 7.3) - 315W @ 10% THD

if you really need more power you have to look some icemodules or a strong version of the mono boards IRS2092.
chris

Hello, I forgot to mention, it's a 4ohm, single coil: GTO1204 speaker, GTO1204BR pack. I would like to get the 300Wrms without the 10%THD, is there any module with TPA3255 that can offer this (with 1/2 chips simultaneously) or I'll be better served with an IRS2092?

i doubt car sub would put rms value there so you will be more than fine with tpa3255s clean 200w , just find nice pbtl pcb somewhere.

This I don't know, the sub is a JBL GTO1204, it's rated 300Wrms, 1200Wpeak (this value is irrelevant, I know), but anyway, I would like to get some board that can output 300Wrms clean, not with 10%THD distortion.

Thank you both :)

Ok, sorry for double post. I've seen that IRS2092S requires simmetrycal PS, which I don't have and I'm not thinking of buying 2 PS just to feed this. So, I'll probably go with the TPA3255.
Is there any board that you specifically recommend, not to expensive too, because I need to buy 1 PS too.
I haven't found any PBTL board, only stereo/BTL ones.

Right now I have one Blaupunkt GTA 2 Special MK II with a computer PS and I think I'm not using full power of it (which is 1x 180Wrms bridged) so I really think I don't need the full 300Wrms output.

Thank you again very much :)

After testing the sub with my Blaupunkt GTA 2 Special MK II which reaches 180w at 4ohm bridged and not even getting it at max volume, I'm sure I'll not get to the limits of the TPA3255 neither.
With that in mind, can you recomend something more cheap or still the 3E boards? I'll chech those prices now.

Some helpful diagrams from Maxim here. I think it is important to have a floating scope, otherwise the true 2x Vdd cannot be visualized:

3977Fig05.gif

3977Fig06.gif

I think you misinterpret figure 5. and 6., but there also seems to be an error in it. In Fig. 6., at OUT-, it should have shown the distance between GND and -Vdd. It is a dual supply situation that is depicted, but with an error as mentioned.

Question authority, think for yourself.

In a single supply setup, there is no -Vdd, there is nothing to generate a -Vdd, so the potential between two output terminals can never be 2xVdd. The minimum of each output is ground, the maximum Vdd. the maximum potential the difference between the two.

Another way of looking at it is by showing that this doubling of Vdd would lead to impossible results: suppose a bridged TPA3255 running on a single 50V supply could deliver twice that voltage between its output terminals. A 4 Ohm load would than draw 25 Amps for 2500 Watts of output.....

@vacuphile,
Nobody states that you have an instantaneous voltage of 96V across the load. It remains 48V as the instantaneous peak voltage. What was stated was that the output signal is up to 96V peak-to-peak which is concluded by comparing two instantaneous voltages at different moments in time.
Think of it as an ordinary SE-coupled amplifier with +/-48V supply and you have the same result.

100 V between two terminals and a 4 Ohm load draws 25 Amps, times 100 is 2.5kW. Note: this is peak, not RMS value, multiply by .7 to get there.

Peak to peak is not really relevant for power draw, it is the maximum potential between the two output terminals you have to look at. Your example appears for a ground referenced half bridge amp.

@vacuphile,
Nobody states that you have an instantaneous voltage of 96V across the load. It remains 48V as the instantaneous peak voltage. What was stated was that the output signal is up to 96V peak-to-peak which is concluded by comparing two instantaneous voltages at different moments in time.
Think of it as an ordinary SE-coupled amplifier with +/-48V supply and you have the same result.

Yes, that is what I have been arguing all along. Is my language not clear enough?

Edit: or did you just barge into this discussion without having read what came before?

a new duel mode finished amp.
  • its a mono amp with a option for low pass bass freqs for subwoofer or bybass lowpass filter and be a full range mono amp.
  • with a line-level sub-out rca to send low pass sub filtered signal to a active sub/other amp for sub.

Snag is its limited to 300w despite being mono. 35v power input limit.
I want a amp like this but full power 8-4ohm 600w :D, 48v dc power input!

AIYIMA TPA3255D2 Amplifier 300W HIFI Mono Channel Audio Power Subwoofer Amplifier Class D AMP NE5532 OP AMP For Home Sound Audio-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on AliExpress - 11.11_Double 11_Singles' Day

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I have a question about 3e Audio boards. I've ordered the TPA3255 amp board and the matching 48V power supply, and expect delivery in a few weeks. I'm assembling other parts for the amp, including standoffs. Can anyone tell me the diameter of the holes on these boards for the standoffs? I've emailed 3e Audio without getting any response. I'm guessing about 3mm, but I'd like to know before ordering parts.