TPA3255 - all about DIY, Discussion, Design etc

Hello Folks,

i am looking for a suitable Smps for the 3e Boards with the TP3255...and hope someone could point me in the right direction. :) So far i've come to the conclusion that some guys here use a meanwell smsp with about 300 to 350 watts...but this raised some questions i would like to be answert for myself.

The 3e Board can have an output off what, like 300 watts per channel so in total anout 600 watts and more.

So how i gonna fed this with an powersupply which s delivering me only 300 to 350 watts in total?

Should'nt i be using like an 600+ powersuply with like 48 volts to do this job properly?

Or do i have a little confused understanding of how this stuff works. :D

Would be nice to get my mind cleared!

Greetz Swany.

Joined 2018
Paid Member
I use MW SPV-300-48

Set at 48v the 3e board does get warm.

I measured 43C at the chokes and caps today after a couple hours decent level listening. Chip heat sink was 32c or so.

Your 600watt is really a notional value. Only attainable at maybe 10%thd which is unlistenable.

Look up the rms power at a sensible THD......1% and less. Probably nearer 150w.... and also at what speaker impedance.

Potentially 200 watt at 4ohm so 120 at 8 ohm? All at max voltage.

350 watt psu should give the chip at 80% efficiency 280watts.

All my sketchy maths and limited knowledge just to keep you awake before someone more knowledgeable pipes up!:)

Thanks for the quick reply...:). Thing is i had planned to use the amps for a small diy plate amp in combination with an mini dsp balanced,...cause the 3e boards are able to take balanced signals, thats one part. The other is i would need like 100 to 150 watts at 8 ohm for the existing tops...aaaaand initially i would have used two icepower 125asx for the bass in bridged mode (cause i got them laying around), one originally for the bass the plate amp would be housed the other for a "spare" whatever (can be bass as well or some monitor).

Thats the idea....:).
So now i got to thinking, why not use two 3e boards and maybe one strong psu and done...thats why i got to this thread.
So now you're telling me its ok to use some less powerful psu cause i doesnt want to have my speakers in radiating more thd than usefull...ok makes sense. So what to do now?

Is it possible to power two boards with one 600 watts psu like the meanwell hrp/g 600-48...or would it be wiser to go a little more decent with like for instance the connex 800rs?

Makes me thinking...

Swany

With 48V you’ll barely get 150W per channel into 8R. If you run the amp into full power, then yes, you’ll need a supply with more than 350W. At normal listening conditions (home stereo) most of the time about 1W per channel is needed and 350W still provides lefty of headroom. For plate amps ventilation is limited in tops so your supply should do without fan and thermal derating. Getting to this point, most/all supplies in PA are underrated for cont. sine wave output or full music loading (with high crest factors) as it isn’t needed.

Morning, folks...

no the amps, all of them will be placed in the considered sub along with some guided heat management and low noise fans to get rid of the thermal problem. Question only remains how to power this thing properly...
Considering i would need like stable 100 watts @ 8 ohms with 50 watts for headroom to power the tops (which if i read the specs of the 3255 and the manual of the 3e board correct should be possible with around 1 percent thd) and say the for the sub which i would built for the amp...the one i intended to use, would have used or better said would have needed the power (around 450 watts) of the ice amp, so screw it :D...! So say the sub goes with the same powerratings as the tops, given 100 to 150 watts at 8 ohms...what powersupply (honestly) would one given as advice to power two boards?

Is it possible to power them with one psu (which??), or to use two...

Thanks for the replys

Swany.

Joined 2018
Paid Member
So my MW SPV 300 48 .....fan spins all the time so I disconnected. It gets warm.....pretty warm. Not measured. Will do tonight.

Bought some 82r 2 watt res to slow it down. Soldered it all up. Fan still spins like hell. Realised I was sent 0.1R!

I also can hear the pwm of the smps. Even at decent levels watching TV. I must have bat ears.! It is just sat on the rack at the moment. It isnt in a case but I intended to run it this way but the noise will be a factor now.

What is normal temps for the 3255 board.? Or indeed safe temps for components? I have 3e. 48v and decent listening levels for an hour and more and coils and caps nudging 40c. Heatsink mid 30s. MW SMSP case is more than just warm.

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Thanks doc. Ambient room temp approx 19C. Smps doesn't have a lot of free air. And is amongst other warm components.

I tucked it behind the centre speaker last night and is much quieter. Shame as I was going to put a nice wooden fascia on it and have it visible as I quite like the aluminium enclosure.

I think the max recommended by TI for a 6 ohm or greater load is 56 VDC. The absolute max rating is 69. Spike maybe or transient. A couple of diodes in series and you will be in the ballpark for a 6 ohm load. I will be doing the same thing.

I rescued a power transformer from an old dead 5 channel receiver. It gives 57.5 vdc with no load. I will put 2 full wave bridges in series.

check the power supply under load and see how much it drops,

I think the max recommended by TI for a 6 ohm or greater load is 56 VDC. The absolute max rating is 69. Spike maybe or transient. A couple of diodes in series and you will be in the ballpark for a 6 ohm load. I will be doing the same thing.

Keep in mind:
"For load impedance ≥ 6Ω PVDD can be increased, provided a reduced over- current threshold is set."

The absolute max rating is 69

Take note, that this is DC + Peak AC and includes filter ringing, switching spikes etc. at the output. I wouldn't recommend going further than 56.5V with reducted OCP-Trippoint.

Last edited:
PFFB on TPA3255

Hello Friends,

My first post here :)

I have acquired 2 TI modules, one for reference and other one for mods. So far I have replaced NE with OPA1612, there is subtle, positive sonic difference.

attachment.php

For now, I'm using linear bench power supply, 30V/6A. I have noticed that both modules have ever so slight hiss (you really have to put your ear next to twitter) - OP amp change made no difference so I presume it's TPA3255 itself.

As I don't intent to play at full volume, I don't have a problem with lower gain and would like to try PFFB implementation, as per TI's schematics.

attachment.php

My question - is it worth to try? Coming from old school amplification, a little bit of negative feedback is good. How about 3255, can I expect lower noise floor (less hiss in my case).
In my view, PFFB is more elegant solution than coil/caps mods on the output.

Many thanks for your help!
Alex

Attachments

• IMG_0092.jpg
    IMG_0092.jpg
    596 KB · Views: 1,366
  • Screenshot 2018-11-09 at 10.14.17.png
    Screenshot 2018-11-09 at 10.14.17.png
    253.2 KB · Views: 1,331