TPA3255 - all about DIY, Discussion, Design etc

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
It seems that the PFFB implementation reduces the gain, but I've not seen the figures and the way to calculate this. I don't know if this can be used for my power buffer purpose.

JMF
There is no way to convert TPA32xx to a unity buffer for at least 2 reasons:
-they are not unity gain stable
-analog input voltage excursion is restricted to about 7Vpp - as far as memory serves me.
They are optimized for 20dB gain - nothing more, nothing less.

There is no way to convert TPA32xx to a unity buffer for at least 2 reasons:
-they are not unity gain stable
-analog input voltage excursion is restricted to about 7Vpp - as far as memory serves me.
They are optimized for 20dB gain - nothing more, nothing less.

Thanks Voltwide,

So no real margin to adjust the gain, Analog input excursion makes it clear.

JMF

I might be wrong but

jop...thats the reason why i am testing the psu...open the pdf. its under the pics

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/309813-wrong-tpa3255-33.html#post5526721

as you can see the voltags sags and the power is not as recommended

chris

If you look at 'pro' class D amps, they can only deliver full power for a few seconds in test conditions, before they throttle down, but play all music nonstop at full power with ease.

I would love to see the difference with a practical/real world usage test.

I guesstimate that if you take the loudest recorded music you can find, and play it to the resistive loads, you wont be able to pull more then 5A from the power supply while the amp runs at 600W of power (potential?), with speakers and some wire connected not more then 3A.

And I won't be surprised if it is a lot less.

If you look at 'pro' class D amps, they can only deliver full power for a few seconds in test conditions, before they throttle down, but play all music nonstop at full power with ease.

I would love to see the difference with a practical/real world usage test.

I guesstimate that if you take the loudest recorded music you can find, and play it to the resistive loads, you wont be able to pull more then 5A from the power supply while the amp runs at 600W of power (potential?), with speakers and some wire connected not more then 3A.

And I won't be surprised if it is a lot less.

Thanks you think for your kind reminder...;)
as a noob..... i am allowed to write strange things;)

yes i have actually no real world measurements with psu and my YJ tpa3255 board. yes the crest factor, sensitivity of speakers, etc. are important part of the complete system. i m just to pick up this psu and test it...this my handling and thinking

sorry if i blamed somebody...

Thanks you think for your kind reminder...;)
as a noob..... i am allowed to write strange things;)

yes i have actually no real world measurements with psu and my YJ tpa3255 board. yes the crest factor, sensitivity of speakers, etc. are important part of the complete system. i m just to pick up this psu and test it...this my handling and thinking

sorry if i blamed somebody...

You seem to be just like me! :D

The sensitivity of the speaker is no factor in the power consumption of the speakers/ power delivery of the amp.

The crestfactor is; the amount of energy in the signal is; about 1/8th and for subwoofers 1/3th seems to safe in PA.

There is an other factor; the impedence of the driver(s). Have a look at the impedence curve of a regular coil driver; only on specific frequencies is the impedence very low and realise that with music, you never play 1 frequency at a time because music has harmonics, so the average and even the minimal impedence of a driver will be a lot higher and thus the power drawn a lot less in comparison to static loads/resistors.

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Having had my TI EVM denied due to some EU regulation, I ordered the 3e board last week....25th to he precise. It has landed in the UK and is with Royal Mail.....woo hoo!

I have read that the 3e board doesn't have any input smoothing power caps. If using a Meanwell smps with pfc should I be thinking of adding any?

Two different variants TPA3251.
ONE

Attachments

• IMG_20181002_220151.jpg
    IMG_20181002_220151.jpg
    638.4 KB · Views: 856
  • IMG_20181002_220216.jpg
    IMG_20181002_220216.jpg
    506.1 KB · Views: 836
  • IMG_20181002_220729.jpg
    IMG_20181002_220729.jpg
    591 KB · Views: 814
Hello,

It seems that a TPA3255 amp with LX-minis was present at Burning Amp 2018. Would anybody have some information ?

In another system was demonstrated the same speakers with Nelson Pass analog active filter and Neurochome amps, alternatively with DSP+nCore hypex amps...

Would love to have feedback about the differences between those 3 systems :) and the "distance" of the TPA3255 to the other "reference" configs.

JMF

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Got the 3e 3255 running today. With a 300watt 48v Meanwell smps. Set at 48. I took the fan out of the psu as it spins full whack all the time seemingly, so I am monitoring temps.
The amp gets a lot warmer than my 7498 but less than 30C at the main components after an hour or so of decent level.

Overall very pleased. Bass is so much nicer than my Denon AVR. All round much better actually. This is from my Samsung S9 via 3.5mm/Phono. Next to try it passed though the AVR pre outs as the plan is to power the fronts with the 3255 controlled with the AVR as a pre. Bit recent trials with a 7498 proves it is robbing some SQ.

Not sure if is worth 5 times the price of the 7498 board yet. Time will tell.

I am using my diy full range Ikea box speakers with 3fe22 8ohm , so I am aware of power handling limits. Not sure how best to mitigate this though . Maybe more poly fill?

I think that is solely a BT module, no preamp stage if you will. So it won't have line level outputs for you to input to the 3255.

Someone much more knowledgeable will chime in and probably correct me.

Agreed, I believe one of these would be more suited if you want to use the CSR8645 BT module:

CSR8645 MVO 4.0 Bluetooth Audio Receiver Muziek APT X Stereo Draadloze Board Bluetooth Module DIY in CSR8645 MVO 4.0 Bluetooth Audio Receiver Muziek APT-X Stereo Draadloze Board Bluetooth Module DIY van Geintegreerde Schakelingen op AliExpress.com | Alibaba Groep