Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

TPA3255 - all about DIY, Discussion, Design etc.
TPA3255 - all about DIY, Discussion, Design etc.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th December 2018, 05:45 PM   #931
somedude1 is offline somedude1
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctormord View Post
As the amp is most likely to amplify linear, there's no "bass enhancement" involved. Linear amplifiers are just like that, the don't color/enhance/hide/add anything, they just make it "loud".

From the years reading here in the forums, it is a common phenomenon that new amps "lack bass" at first but things start to get better when coupling caps are changed for expensive ones together with changing the input stage's opamps for some uber top-notch industrial ones like LMAsomething.

Have you tried changing polarity of one speaker to see if it's not just a phase thing?
Good point Doctormord. I'm fairly new to diy and haven't dove into these possibilities yet. Do you have any specific recommendations?
Old 5th December 2018, 07:29 PM   #932
chermann is offline chermann  Austria
diyAudio Member

something to read ...i am not an expert...i am learning and try to improve my electronic knowledge........and sometimes I amuse the experts...What is wrong with TPA3255?

chris
Old 5th December 2018, 10:18 PM   #933
somedude1 is offline somedude1
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chermann View Post
something to read ...i am not an expert...i am learning and try to improve my electronic knowledge........and sometimes I amuse the experts...What is wrong with TPA3255?

chris
Thanks chermann!
Old 6th December 2018, 08:30 PM   #934
Bearman is offline Bearman  United States
diyAudio Member

Also these amps need a low input impedance. Seems to make a big difference in SQ.
Old 9th December 2018, 11:02 AM   #935
strongbow60 is offline strongbow60  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctormord View Post
As the amp is most likely to amplify linear, there's no "bass enhancement" involved. Linear amplifiers are just like that, the don't color/enhance/hide/add anything, they just make it "loud".

From the years reading here in the forums, it is a common phenomenon that new amps "lack bass" at first but things start to get better when coupling caps are changed for expensive ones together with changing the input stage's opamps for some uber top-notch industrial ones like LMAsomething.

Have you tried changing polarity of one speaker to see if it's not just a phase thing?

doctormord, with all respect, there _are_ very audible differences in how various amplifiers sounds. The seems be be a hell of a lot of difference in how transients are handled, but I can't verify that. Even in amps that have seemingly equal frequency response and TDH.
Just dismissing reports of audible differences because they are not backed by hard evidence does not mean they not exists, just that they might be very hard to measure in a controlled environment. And most of us don't have the equipment and training to do such a thing.

Case in point; I have both the TPA3255EVM, a TPA3250 and a SureAA-AB32313. The EVM board and the TPA3250 lacks in bass and at first sounds a bit dull compared to the Sure, but in the end wins out by sounding more neutral. All this before any modification to the EVM (which I haven't had any time to do yet).

Apart from internal diffencencies in the boards there are the external reasons for that. It can very well be as you indicated input impedance; there's a difference between the boards. But also in how they handle the the speakers load, with it's frequency and amplitude dependent response.

TPA3255 - all about DIY, Discussion, Design etc.Hide this!Advertise here!