Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

TPA3255 - all about DIY, Discussion, Design etc.
TPA3255 - all about DIY, Discussion, Design etc.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th October 2018, 02:33 PM   #911
doctormord is offline doctormord  Germany
diyAudio Member

Point, i assumpted same efficiency for both tops and sub.
Old 17th October 2018, 05:50 PM   #912
jimk04 is offline jimk04  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

So my MW SPV 300 48 .....fan spins all the time so I disconnected. It gets warm.....pretty warm. Not measured. Will do tonight.

Bought some 82r 2 watt res to slow it down. Soldered it all up. Fan still spins like hell. Realised I was sent 0.1R!

I also can hear the pwm of the smps. Even at decent levels watching TV. I must have bat ears.! It is just sat on the rack at the moment. It isnt in a case but I intended to run it this way but the noise will be a factor now.

What is normal temps for the 3255 board.? Or indeed safe temps for components? I have 3e. 48v and decent listening levels for an hour and more and coils and caps nudging 40c. Heatsink mid 30s. MW SMSP case is more than just warm.
Old 17th October 2018, 07:41 PM   #913
diyAudio Member

Without knowing your ambient temperature it’s hard to tell but 40degC fr coils n caps is just normal. The coils heat up the caps by radiation and trace conduction. Nothing to worry about. For the heatsink, they work best when they’re hot.
Old 18th October 2018, 07:15 AM   #914
jimk04 is offline jimk04  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thanks doc. Ambient room temp approx 19C. Smps doesn't have a lot of free air. And is amongst other warm components.

I tucked it behind the centre speaker last night and is much quieter. Shame as I was going to put a nice wooden fascia on it and have it visible as I quite like the aluminium enclosure.
Old 26th October 2018, 08:03 PM   #915
Jakobie is offline Jakobie
diyAudio Member

Do you guys think a 57v supply is too much? I can get tons of these things for free and would be nice to use on the TPA3255.
Old 26th October 2018, 09:24 PM   #916
multisync is offline multisync  Canada
diyAudio Member

I think the max recommended by TI for a 6 ohm or greater load is 56 VDC. The absolute max rating is 69. Spike maybe or transient. A couple of diodes in series and you will be in the ballpark for a 6 ohm load. I will be doing the same thing.

I rescued a power transformer from an old dead 5 channel receiver. It gives 57.5 vdc with no load. I will put 2 full wave bridges in series.

check the power supply under load and see how much it drops,
Old 26th October 2018, 09:43 PM   #917
Jakobie is offline Jakobie
diyAudio Member

56.3V under 8Ω load
Old 29th October 2018, 12:29 PM   #918
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by multisync View Post
I think the max recommended by TI for a 6 ohm or greater load is 56 VDC. The absolute max rating is 69. Spike maybe or transient. A couple of diodes in series and you will be in the ballpark for a 6 ohm load. I will be doing the same thing.

Keep in mind:
"For load impedance ≥ 6Ω PVDD can be increased, provided a reduced over- current threshold is set."

Quote:
The absolute max rating is 69

Take note, that this is DC + Peak AC and includes filter ringing, switching spikes etc. at the output. I wouldn't recommend going further than 56.5V with reducted OCP-Trippoint.

Last edited by doctormord; 29th October 2018 at 12:33 PM.
Old 2nd November 2018, 01:51 AM   #919
pblossom is offline pblossom  United States
diyAudio Member

Default IEEE Article

Build Your Own Professional-Grade Audio Amp on the Sort of Cheap - IEEE Spectrum
Old 9th November 2018, 08:54 AM   #920
MirageZA is offline MirageZA  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Default PFFB on TPA3255

Hello Friends,

My first post here :-)

I have acquired 2 TI modules, one for reference and other one for mods. So far I have replaced NE with OPA1612, there is subtle, positive sonic difference.

TPA3255 - all about DIY, Discussion, Design etc.-img_0092-jpg

For now, I'm using linear bench power supply, 30V/6A. I have noticed that both modules have ever so slight hiss (you really have to put your ear next to twitter) - OP amp change made no difference so I presume it's TPA3255 itself.

As I don't intent to play at full volume, I don't have a problem with lower gain and would like to try PFFB implementation, as per TI's schematics.

TPA3255 - all about DIY, Discussion, Design etc.-screenshot-2018-11-09-10-14-17-png

My question - is it worth to try? Coming from old school amplification, a little bit of negative feedback is good. How about 3255, can I expect lower noise floor (less hiss in my case).
In my view, PFFB is more elegant solution than coil/caps mods on the output.

Many thanks for your help!
Alex
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0092.jpg (596.0 KB, 437 views)
File Type: png Screenshot 2018-11-09 at 10.14.17.png (253.2 KB, 438 views)

TPA3255 - all about DIY, Discussion, Design etc.Hide this!Advertise here!