Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

TPA3255 - all about DIY, Discussion, Design etc.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Today, 10:06 AM   #3561
daniboun is offline daniboun  France
diyAudio Member

You re welcome, good purchase )
Old Today, 10:43 AM   #3562
bushellj is offline bushellj  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSA78 View Post
Thank you!
It seems like they have slightly limited supplies in Europe, depending on which model you look at.
They have many Connex with dual outlet and the base "R" models. But according to some information I found the RS could be better, I don't know.
I got some help through PM yesterday, I will look into it today and try to get a game plan in order. 🙂
I'm not really in a hurry, but 2-3 months to get parts is sort of taking the fun out of this.

Connex seem to be difficult to find in Europe and can be quite expensive. The Mean Well Power Supplies on the other hand are very easy to find and quite often available on eBay either used or as good as new.

The Mean Well Power Supplies are very common in multiple manufacturers equipment and can often be found as excess stock or as spare parts.

I bought a load of Digipos 24 volt 250 Watt Power Supplies for less than £10 each. They are Mean Well SP-240-24 in a nice plastic case. Adjustable voltage up to about 30 volts. You just have to disable the remote control feature unless of course you want to use it to turn on the Power Supply remotely.
Old Today, 10:48 AM   #3563
bushellj is offline bushellj  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Does anyone have suggestions or insight on PSU that could be sourced in the EU for two 3E amp's (3255 2ch + 3251 4ch)?
The time to ship something right now is ridiculous, a month within EU seems to be the norm right now.
They are all under the power that the Amp can deliver, but I'm guessing it will be enough for me.
Also, I don't have any ground connection in my house, if some are more sensitive towards not being grounded.
If you have any other suggestions just fire away.

I have looked at Connex, MeanWell and possibly Hypex.
For the 3255:
MeanWell MEAN WELL SE-600-48 Switching Power Supply SMPS 600W 48V 12,5A - Audiophonics
Connex SMPS500QRV2 Switching Power Supply Module 500W / +/- 40V - Audiophonics
Hypex (though I'm not sure if it would work) HYPEX SMPS400 / 180 Switching Power Supply Module 400W / 2x46V - Audiophonics

For the 3251 (24-30V) two different Connex:
CONNEX SMPS300REh Power supply Module 300W +/-30V - Audiophonics
SMPS300RS Module d'Alimentation a Decoupage 300W / 32V - Audiophonics

Some of the Power Supplies you have listed are dual rail and not suitable for TPA325x amplifiers that use a single rail.

Unless you are going to drive all your amplifiers flat out then you probably donít need such high capacity supplies. Also the heat sinks on most of the TPA325x boards are too small to run at the full specification for any period of time !!
Old Today, 11:04 AM   #3564
PSA78 is offline PSA78  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I was aware that it could be a problem with dual rail, must have missed it with the ones I posted.
The 'problem' with the Meanwell that's lower output seem to be that they either have 24V or 36V, but they say that it's 10% adjustable so 24V should work for the 3251. The ones with less Watt also have a higher R&N value, but maybe it's of low consequence going from 150mV to 200-250mV...
Or is it possible to use something in-between the PSU and Amp to clean up the signal, capacitor perhaps..?
The MW RSP 500W in 27V and 48V is what I'm looking at right now.
(Yes, I'm new at this. lol )
Old Today, 11:06 AM   #3565
TNT is online now TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thank you!
It seems like they have slightly limited supplies in Europe, depending on which model you look at.
They have many Connex with dual outlet and the base "R" models. But according to some information I found the RS could be better, I don't know.
I got some help through PM yesterday, I will look into it today and try to get a game plan in order. 🙂
I'm not really in a hurry, but 2-3 months to get parts is sort of taking the fun out of this.
Get the SMPS300RS. I just ordered things form Audiophonics two weeks ago and it took 1 week form France. I use a 36V version.

//
Old Today, 11:39 AM   #3566
PSA78 is offline PSA78  Sweden
diyAudio Member

TNT it's on backorder right now.
Does it work with 36V for that Amp?
I have found MW RSP 500W 27V for about the same price as that Connex as well.
Old Today, 12:26 PM   #3567
TNT is online now TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Aha - sorry!

But if you think you can live with 35V you can get the 32V which seem to be in stock..

From Connexion page:

"The stock available output voltages are adjustable within approx. 10% and the ordered voltage value is at the middle of the interval. For example the 24V version can be adjusted from 22.5V to 26V."

For a 32V it would mean 35V.

Higher voltage keeps the amp delivering high output in higher impedance speakers. If you are on say 4 ohm, the lower voltage ones are fine. Also less heat.

//

Last edited by TNT; Today at 12:28 PM.
Old Today, 01:57 PM   #3568
cdsgames is offline cdsgames  Canada
diyAudio Member

We might make our LLC PSU available . 275W continuous , 50V and 15V output.

Noise on output 1.5uV (20Khz bandwith) or less up to 100W.
  Reply to this post

TPA3255 - all about DIY, Discussion, Design etc.Hide this!Advertise here!