TPA3255 - all about DIY, Discussion, Design etc

528d97507ebfbc45f401ddc8099fc5f2.jpg

A bunch of (4 pieces) isolating transformers for my main stereo system.

Just pushed the button on Topping D90 - its is reported as having better soundstage than the SMSL. All being well will be with me next week - I'll compare against my T+A DAC 8 DSD (which I found to perform very close to the Mola Mola Tambaqui when I tested them together - T+A running DSD).

Cheers

Oh, in Europe Topping is €120 cheaper than SMSL M400. They are too close in quality, I would go with Topping too.

I hope you will like the sound and please report OK?

Hi amigos,

Got last TPA3255 by 3E Audio. (8 Ohms version with 44V PSU)

Here some pictures so you can have an idea about its size VS AIYIMA TPA3251 VS DrMordor TPA3255

I did not test it yet...

But at first sight + and - :

- Seems well made and solid, compact if you consider the integrated PSU ++
- Elna Audio Grade caps for buffer ++
- OP amps DIP8 Socket ++ (update OPA1602 in pictures with a copper film)
- Anti Pop protection ++
- Chengx Power caps -- (4x1000uf)
- Noiseless Fan +- (useful ?)
- CODA inductors (not sure about this, unmarked ?) --
- QC3008 Aptx BT chip ++
- No power cord provided --
- Quasi resonant PSU ++

Next step : Audio test VS DrMordor VS Aiyima A04 (Tilear Rev 2.1)
Awaiting your test results!

Absolutely not true - Purifi is my best amp so far. Sounds better than LM3886 and would you believe an EAR861.

mplifiers cannot "sound" by definition ... :) It's like a battery - when you turn it on, it's warm, when you turn it off, it's cold ... It shouldn't be visible, but it should be warm.
The amplifier should not distort the original signal ... That's it ... :) All your suggestions about the upgrade are a bluff .. If the speaker system gives more than 1% distortion, then it doesn't matter what kind of distortion your amplifier gives ... 0.1% or 0.5% ... I like reading fairy tales from Muscovy ... :)

Never, ever put a SMPS, DAC or PC into your stereo mains supply without mains filter. Cos the rest of the equipment will suffer for sure.

The best you can do without paying too much:

1st mains filter->1st isolating transformer->DAC

2nd mains filter->2nd isolating transformer->Anolgue equpiment (preamp, tuner, phono pre etc.)
->mains filter (after the 2nd isolating trans)->SMPS of power amp

The ravings of a crazy audiophile ... :)

Hi,

Here my quick review after a 3 days listening test.

VS DrMordor Module :

- 3E Audio With OPA1612 sounds great and still have a good sounstage. But
it definitely lacks consistency in the sound compared to the Drmordor module. The Drmordor is much more dynamic, more "organic". The bass drops lower and medium + high are better as well. Regarding the soundstage, the amps are equal, it is very precise and we find "the signature of the TPA3255" which remains, to my ears, the most holographic chip on the market. Regarding the quality of the case, and its fan, the 3E Audio is really well made, the fan is pretty noiseless, can't ear it at all.
Another important point, the Drmodor is more powerful at equal volume ... PFFB + best PSU (LLC) on DrMordor make the difference....

VS AIYIMA A04 (black PCB Tilear 2.1 with OPA1656)

- concerning the overall listening, I think that we are rather on amps of the same range, I found the 3E Audio a little less "alive" than my AIYIMA but I think that the OPA1656 are there for something (I did not test the 3E Audio + OPA1656). They perform almost equally but the AIYIMA is using a TPA3251 chip, so it's not necessarily very comparable.
On the other hand, I found the AIYIMA quieter, especially when I stream in BT (APTX HD via my DAC), it is less sensitive to interferences, it does better than Drmodor and 3E Audio in this regard.

Conclusion :

For less than $100, the 3E Audio TPA3255 is good amplifier, well made, well designed and interesting overall.
If you are really looking for the rolls of the TPA3255, go for a Drmodor, a Jlester or even an XRK Audio, we know why we pay more for them)
We do not play in the same class!