Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

TPA3255 - all about DIY, Discussion, Design etc.
TPA3255 - all about DIY, Discussion, Design etc.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Yesterday, 06:54 AM   #1281
goodguys is offline goodguys  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diytoon View Post
one is considerably cheaper than the other (good for me) but does the "you get what you pay for" maxim apply here?
Any advice welcomed
I have both boards and it all depends on what you are looking for...
Wiil it replace a mediocre amp, both amps are fine and will give you some good sound...
If it has to replace a top class musical amp...I would not go this way and keep that amp...
If you just want to check what class d amps can do today (that is why I bought a few) and like to experiment a bit...this is big fun...sometimes I am surprised how good these cheap amps can sound...but I have to be honest, this is not the ultimate amp I am looking for...(but as a tubeman I might be a little biased)
I would give the 3e-audio a plus because of the quality...@100 dollar
But the yj board is less than half that price and works/sound very similar...
If it is an experiment you are looking for, go for the cheapest...if class d and tpa3255 is good sounding for you in your system you could consider upgrading later...there will be other boards with tpa3255 the coming months...I think.[/QUOTE]

What is the best voltage for the yj boards. It states in the ebay description to use 50volts, most on here are using 40 volts, what do you think about going lower as i heard higher voltages can increase distortion, would lower voltages lower distortion and give better sound. 40 volts sounds like you are running the boards at the higher end of the rating
Thanks!

Last edited by goodguys; Yesterday at 07:02 AM. Reason: typo
Old Yesterday, 08:36 AM   #1282
Kay Pirinha is offline Kay Pirinha  Germany
diyAudio Member

A higher supply voltage generally increases headroom. So why should it increase distortion?

Best regards!
Old Yesterday, 04:52 PM   #1283
doctormord is offline doctormord  Germany
diyAudio Member

Due to increased quiescent current and higher dV/dt. The output stage is always switching up to full voltage, so your dV/dt is generally higher if ton/toff is constant. This will raise radiation as well which "may" induce noise/distortion/whatever in surrounding circuitry.
Old Today, 06:17 AM   #1284
goodguys is offline goodguys  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I heard class d's generally increase distortion quite dramatically at the top end of their voltage range.

TPA3255 - all about DIY, Discussion, Design etc.Hide this!Advertise here!