Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Another TPA3118 board
Another TPA3118 board
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th February 2016, 12:13 AM   #1
Jensen567 is offline Jensen567  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Another TPA3118 board

Thime time from Amazon. I bought this SMAKN amplifier this weekend. I have to say, for $13 shipped to my door in 2 days, I am impressed. Sound is classic TPA3118. What I really like are the various jumpers on the back side to change certain features. I know that there are at least jumpers to bypass the switch built in to the pot, and to bypass each channel of the pot and control volume with the source. It also has an unpopulated spot built in for a 7805 5V regulator which could be useful.

Unfortunately I only know what about half of them do since I cannot read Chinese. Maybe one of you will know.

Amazon.com: SMAKNŽ TPA3118 numeric 12V power amplifier board finished board /with switch potentiometer /Parallel Mono: Musical Instruments
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160218_190013.jpg (643.3 KB, 533 views)
Old 29th April 2016, 08:06 PM   #2
linuxworks is offline linuxworks  United States
diyAudio Member

I ordered a pair of these and they should be here later today.

I'll ask a friend what the chinese text means.

what do you think of the amp, so far?
Old 30th April 2016, 06:16 PM   #3
linuxworks is offline linuxworks  United States
diyAudio Member

this may help: found this bit of text on amazon's review system:

Quote:
As shipped, the board operates in 2 channel BTL (bridge tied load). The board supports the TPA3116's PBTL (parallel bridge tied load) by reconfiguring jumpers S1-S6. These are solder-bridge jumpers marked on the bottom of the board. Some soldering skills are necessary.
On the bottom of the board is a chart, written in Chinese. The top line (stereo 2X BTL mode) shows a checkmark on S1 and X on S2-S6, checkmark for soldered jumper, X for open. The bottom line shows the setup for mono PBTL mode (S1 open, S2-S6 closed).
To do the conversion open S1 by wicking the solder off. Put a blob of solder on S2-S6 to short them. The mono speaker connection is also shown in the board legends. Connect mono speaker + to left channel -. Connect mono speaker - to right channel +.
In the mono mode, drive both audio inputs for the best volume. One gain jumper is available on the board. Default is 32db, short the jumper to reduce gain to 26db.
The TDA3116 datasheet and TDA3116 Evaluation Board User's Manual (both available at ti.com) can be consulted for more info and a typical schematic. According to TI, 100W requires 24V with 8 amp capacity into 4ohms. The overcurrent trip point is set at by the chip at 7.5A. The output power limit is disabled (PLIMIT pin 6 connected to pin 7 GVDD).
I converted mine after buzzing out the circuit vs. TI's documentation and it seems to work fine. YMMV see less
By John In TX on February 28, 2015
it applies to this unit, but its very similar:

http://www.amazon.com/SMAKN%C2%AE-TP.../dp/B00KCEHS54

hth

Another TPA3118 boardHide this!Advertise here!