Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Class D vs Class AB
Class D vs Class AB
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th October 2019, 07:17 PM   #91
Turbowatch2 is offline Turbowatch2  Germany
diyAudio Member

In my youth, the first CD was the turning point for HIFI. After years of people being proud of having a hole corner full of different gear cabled up, I and a lot of other people, realized that all this stuff didn't help much with sound.
My first CD player had two outputs, one went over a mechanical potentiometer, one direct.
I spent, if I remember right, two years trying different pre-amps, until I found one that had no sound added or removed from the signal. I could live even without a pre for listening, but as I build speakers, I needed a balance and mono function for A/B comparisons.
The one I found had exactly what I needed and was on sale for a ridiculous price. Most important was the mono switch and for real listening, the option to take all tremble, bass, loudness out of the way. Was a Fisher CC-3000. I still use it.
The next pre-amp that came in at par was an AVM Evolution V1 in 1992. Still in use at a friend of mine. These are very basic amps, reduced to some relays and a simple adjustable power stage with high voltage output.

The often used passive pre is only a solution for some cases, as many amps do not like to be driven by a resistor (pot).
So yes, keep it simple, keep (cables) it short.

The AVR´s bad sound is not with all of them. There are very good sounding AVR´s on the market. It depends on how you use them, too. Today you will not get around DSP processing, somewhere in the chain. At last the producer of your source used one...

So, these bashing digital equipment are on the wrong way. It is, IMO, better to sent your signal through some DSP and let it do the separation of frequency, than to use 3 pounds or more of passive L, R and C to do the job.

Yes, not too much stages, but enough to get a good result. Even as there might not be two people in the world selecting the same components for this task...
so what will be the final result?

Class D vs Class ABHide this!Advertise here!