What's happened to the sa-36a pro - not tpa3118?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I had run across the Trevor Marshall page, above my head honestly, I am a novice here, but am prepared to do something modest to get this thing usable and pleasant for my needs. I'd be using 8ohm speakers so I'm guessing the increase in
voltage would fine on the 7492p chip as is?

For modest upgrade, just doing chemicons (1 or 2) caps might be a decent start? My concern has been about harsh treble, and power, for what I have on hand.

I thought the sa-36a (not pro) was older generation, using the TA2020 chip. This almost looks like their pulling whatever's laying around in the bin.....
Through aliexpress I ordered two sa36A being the ta2020 version and got two sa36Apro with a tpa3118 board marked v2.2 2014/5/14. Mine does seem to bear the ti logo(picture).
Lucky for me the dispute ended in me getting one ta2020 sa36a extra without returning the 36a pros.

The 3118 does sound a bit different and there is no dc offset (plop-on) adjustment, I like the ta2020 best but for a bedroom tv-set the 3118 is quite ok.

Attachments

• 20160214_154929.jpg
    20160214_154929.jpg
    672.4 KB · Views: 261
  • 20160214_155629.jpg
    20160214_155629.jpg
    846.2 KB · Views: 256
Mouser stocks 7 different kze/kzh/kzn/kzm in 2200/2700uF 25v
Digikey stocks 2 kze and kzn in 2200uF 25v

Yeah, those look like the only two places that carry them for domestic shipping (U.S.), Digikey seems to have the most reasonable shipping rates for small quantities.

If you want to freak a little, remember you have 3 positions for TH caps:
Radial 12 mOhms Aluminum Organic Polymer Capacitors | Mouser

I'm sorry I don't understand this - are you referring to caps that could be used on the v3.x 7492p boards? Or to the v2.x 3118 boards.

The 3118 does sound a bit different and there is no dc offset (plop-on) adjustment, I like the ta2020 best but for a bedroom tv-set the 3118 is quite ok.

I don't know if you mean the DC offset adjustment is to reduce plop-on, but I think the relais in sa36 output make p(l)op on inaudible, not the DC offset adjustment. There is no need for DC offset adjustment with 36apro you have.

Yeah, those look like the only two places that carry them for domestic shipping (U.S.), Digikey seems to have the most reasonable shipping rates for small quantities.

I'm sorry I don't understand this - are you referring to caps that could be used on the v3.x 7492p boards? Or to the v2.x 3118 boards.

3118pro I didn't mean has 10 !!!!! positions for electrolytics , 7492pro you showed has 1 or 2 electrolytics, the version which use only one has 3 positions to put electrolytics on, 3 big ones won't fit, only two big ones will fit, which leaves the Original center position of electrolytic open, doesn't it? Only a little electrolytic will fit there, happens the polymer osconlike electrolytics advised for 3116/18 by many are rather small, one of the few electrolytics that would or could fit considering the space.

Yeah, those look like the only two places that carry them for domestic shipping (U.S.), Digikey seems to have the most reasonable shipping rates for small quantities..

I think you can buy them at almost all distributors: onlinecomponents.com
in stock 3 kze versions, 1 kzn (2200/25)
shipping 7.95, that is much for just 2 capacitors

brandname, united chemicon or nippon chemicon, maybe just chemicon doesn't get recognised when searching ?

3118pro I didn't mean has 10 !!!!! positions for electrolytics , 7492pro you showed has 1 or 2 electrolytics, the version which use only one has 3 positions to put electrolytics on, 3 big ones won't fit, only two big ones will fit, which leaves the Original center position of electrolytic open, doesn't it? Only a little electrolytic will fit there, happens the polymer osconlike electrolytics advised for 3116/18 by many are rather small, one of the few electrolytics that would or could fit considering the space.

Ok I undersand now :idea: ...I would have left that blank i guess.
But if we were to fill it also, is it ok to mix the specs on the capacitors? Maybe a 3rd big one would fit there if the leads are long enough for a tall bend, there is some vertical room in the case. Seems there are 4 ways to go there on the 3.1 board:
1. Go with 2 caps and leave the original J1/J2 position empty
2. two big caps and a small one in J1/J2 if that's ok
3. 3 big caps of same spec if the 3rd will fit
4. Just replace J1/J2 with one big cap (but more caps are always better?)

interestingly the 3.2 board (with 2 caps) if you look closely the via positions are slightly higher and J1/J2 don't seem to be there.

You really need to measure, else result is like the 2 electrolytic version, the electrolytics do not fit pcb straight, a little too big for that, not too big a deal but you could order chemicons that won't fit at all. Polymer/solids are higher frequency than chemicon high frequency wets, smaller values polymer/solids than I linked probably better too.
You got the ampboard with one electrolytic and 3 positions I thought?

So something like this - just a quick mock-up attached to clarify using 3.2 board for the example: 2 chemicons (2200uF or higher replacing the big caps), plus a 560uF solid in J1/J2 if it will squeeze in there.

Attachments

• sa-36apro-withcap.jpg
    sa-36apro-withcap.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 294
Last edited:
A quick update: I received a 25$ refund (paid $41.99 initially) from the seller. This covers the value added tax and duty fees I had to pay (I had some really bad luck with this purchase it seems) and leaves some $12 for me to pay for any component upgrades :)

Also at the moment of writing this there are already 9 listings on Aliexpress for SA-36A pro with TDA7492PE mentioned in the title so it seems the word is spreading among resellers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.