Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Clueless: Choosing a cheap bluetooth TPA3116 board from Aliexpress
Clueless: Choosing a cheap bluetooth TPA3116 board from Aliexpress
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th September 2015, 02:51 PM   #1
nicoxis is offline nicoxis  Chile
diyAudio Member

Default Clueless: Choosing a cheap bluetooth TPA3116 board from Aliexpress

Hi Everyone, I've been looking around on the forum for the past two days and I've found some very valuable information I'm looking to build 2.1 bluetooth audio system so based on what I learned here so far(I'm total noob audio components and electronics) and some further reasearch, I came accross these boards on Aliexpress,

Click the image to open in full size.
Frss Shipping 24VDC 2.1 channel class D bluetooth 4.0 TPA3116 Input mode only Bluetooth input amplifier board 2*50W-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

HIFI MINI TPA3116 2.1 200w subwoofer Bluetooth 4.0 stereo digital audio power amplifier board -in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

I'm looking for something cheap which gets the job done decently. I'll be using a 19v 4amp laptop charger.

These are the speakers I will be using,

Old 30th September 2015, 01:54 PM   #2
Jerms is offline Jerms  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

1st one looks a little easier to get up and running as it supplies screw terminals (crap though) for the speakers. You would have to solder or supply your own connectors for the 2nd.
Old 30th September 2015, 02:08 PM   #3
doctormord is offline doctormord  Germany
diyAudio Member

I'd go for the second one, as it features an additional line in. (I'd also suppose it to run cooler when pushed to the limit.)
Old 30th September 2015, 09:10 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerms View Post
1st one looks a little easier to get up and running as it supplies screw terminals (crap though) for the speakers. You would have to solder or supply your own connectors for the 2nd.
Agree, additionally I see from the pictures that the knob terminals are better spaced in the first board than the second one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctormord View Post
I'd go for the second one, as it features an additional line in. (I'd also suppose it to run cooler when pushed to the limit.)
Actually bluetooth would be the main use, but agree that an additional line in is always useful. Temperature may be an issue since the speakers are not so small (I could install bigger heatsinks on the first one though).

I've come accross another board that's interesting, it doesn't have bluetooth (bummer) but it has crossover capability which could help dial the subwoofer for optimal frecuency. So to get bluetooth I would need an external adapter plus a 19v to 5v USB stepdown module (to use the same laptop 19v adapter).

2.1 TPA3116 Hifi Class D Digital Amplifier Board 100W + 50W + 50W 50mA 12V 25V-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

1Pc DC 7V 24V To 5V 3A Step Down Buck KIS3R33S Module 5V USB Output Converter Hot Worldwide-in Integrated Circuits from Electronic Components & Supplies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Hot USB Bluetooth Music Audio Receiver Adapter 3.5mm Stereo Audio to Speaker Sound Box for Apple iPhone 4/5/5S/6 Plus-in Other Consumer Electronics from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

In your opinion, Does the crossover addition overcome the overhead of using more devices? Is there a better solution to this?
Old 1st October 2015, 01:13 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Just to muddy the waters

Amp boards with onboard Bluetooth and control buttons.

Two further examples of Bluetooth amp boards. No aux in on either of them.

IMO, though an external bluetooth can work, you might have to fight interference before getting the setup working adequately.
Old 1st October 2015, 07:15 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerms View Post
Just to muddy the waters

Amp boards with onboard Bluetooth and control buttons.

Two further examples of Bluetooth amp boards. No aux in on either of them.

IMO, though an external bluetooth can work, you might have to fight interference before getting the setup working adequately.
Appreciate your input and those are nice boards but they don't have subwoofer output (let alone crossover capabilities), so they don't fit my requirements.

On your second thought, what do you mean by interference, how would it be reflected and what would cause it?
Old 2nd October 2015, 01:01 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Search the "Class D" sub-forum for examples. Typically it's "in the wires" or "ground" related.
Old 4th October 2015, 09:51 PM   #8
chicks is offline chicks  United States
diyAudio Member

A buck converter will throw lots of noise, you'll need a converter with isolated ground. The new Chromecast Audio is a much better solution vs Bluetooth for a lot of reasons...

An externally hosted image should be here but it no longer works. Please upload images instead of linking to them to prevent this.
Old 4th October 2015, 09:52 PM   #9
doctormord is offline doctormord  Germany
diyAudio Member

Nice one, does it work flawlessly?
Old 5th October 2015, 12:12 AM   #10
chicks is offline chicks  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctormord View Post
Nice one, does it work flawlessly?
Pretty much. It's on my WiFi, so if I load a web page on the tablet with tons of large images, it might cause a dropout on the Chromecast, but been streaming Rdio much of the day with great success.

Clueless: Choosing a cheap bluetooth TPA3116 board from AliexpressHide this!Advertise here!