TPA3116 2.1 + Little Bear P5 + noise

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey Guys / Girls

First post on here and project for some time. My electronics know how is foggy these days. Here is my little retro inspired build any how using a 3116 2.1 channel board and a little bear valve preamp I grabbed from Ali Express. Sounds pretty nice at higher levels but quite hissy down low. I only have a some Sony bookshelf's and some Wharfdale Chrystal 40's (haven't tried these yet) and an average passive 8" bandpass sub to test on, so hardly I am not expecting miracles. Is there possibly a grounding issue on the amp / psu or similar ? The Sony speakers are silent when connected to it's matching receiver. Will also think about a better way to supply power to it as the amp has a 19.5v DC 4.7amp Power brick (HP) and the P5 a 15v AC adaptor. Anyway any input would be appreciated and if it was not advisable to use particular wiring within let me know.

Attachments

• IMG_20150926_090256.jpg
    IMG_20150926_090256.jpg
    338.2 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_20150926_090305.jpg
    IMG_20150926_090305.jpg
    380.8 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_20150926_090316.jpg
    IMG_20150926_090316.jpg
    512.3 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_20150926_090357.jpg
    IMG_20150926_090357.jpg
    422.7 KB · Views: 242
Wiring layout

Use MS paint (or something else) to draw out connections.

Thanks for replying Dug. Hopefully this is detailed enough

You have SE coming in, where do the amp board +, -, and gnd go to?

Common ground - Metered through both amps the DC / AC input grounding runs through the signal ground . I tried a different brick pack and it was way worse and picking up mouse movement and CPU activity from the pc it's connected to. Maybe they add the little mute switch to these amps so you don't have to listen to noise when things are quiet :)

Attachments

• amp wiring.jpg
    amp wiring.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 205
Had a similar issue - it helped to install an EMI Filter Bead (Panasonic EXC-ELDR35C) in PSU + path just before the big capacitor on the 2.1 amp board. The amp still picked some interference when being close to PC but not as bad as before. You can also try putting a ferrite filter on interconnect cable.

I see

Had a similar issue - it helped to install an EMI Filter Bead (Panasonic EXC-ELDR35C) in PSU + path just before the big capacitor on the 2.1 amp board. The amp still picked some interference when being close to PC but not as bad as before. You can also try putting a ferrite filter on interconnect cable.

Thanks for that I may try it. Tried a few scenarios - running off battery 12v and 24v used phone as source away from any other electronics. Def less interference with that setup. I am going to order some different boards to play with so perhaps it wasn't the best one. Is it OK to use speaker cable to wire up the pots I do with I tried it out before removing the pots ? There is def audible noise when turning up or down the L/R and bass controls. Matt

Touching the pots might cause additional noise and long wires will catch extra interference. The pots themselves are not best quality so I would recommend keeping only one pot for either bass or lr depening on which is louder by default.

Keep in mind that this amp only has low-pass filter for bass and lr are running full range meaning you will get muddy lows with decent speakers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.