TPA3251d2

I ordered the Aiyima 3251 from Amazon after reading through everyone's posts here and at Audio Circles and received it yesterday after 3 weeks .
Wow, for fifty dollars it is a bargain . Thank you for the tips to this amp.
It is the black pcb model and appears well made and clean .
I used a 24 volt smps as the 32 volt one I have didn't want to fit the Aiyima's power plug with it's pin .
Today I am going to order a 32 ps from Altima.
There does not seem to be a lot of bass , lean in that department although I am using Seas 8 inch full range speakers.
I am transitioning from class A and class AB tube amps to something with a single knob that my wife can operate that isn't a heat pump in summer.
Listening to a CD of the Rhino Best of the Searchers there is excellent sound although it can't match the depth of sound that my tube amps had.
Which opamps are upgrades over the stock one that are direct replacements without adaptors ?
Thanks

I think you will find that most of the more recent Op-Amps are not available in a DIL8 Package - Hence people are using adapters. Some of us are finding the OPA1656 to be a good match for this amplifier and in my case I think it certainly improved the Bass even though my little KEF Q15 Bookshelf speakers only have a 5.5inch woofer ! I am still waiting for delivery of a pair of OPA627AU Op-Amps on adapters so I cant comment yet - These can be rather expensive !!

Laptop style Power Supplies can be a bit Hit and Miss. I tend to stick with brands such as the Mean Well LRS-200-24 which can be set to 30 volts. Does not come in a case though !!

James.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link Rob, I appreciate it.

By the way , there is zero hiss even with the Altima 3251 turned almost all the way up .
I forgot to mention this in my earlier post.

I might have to see if TI is running any more sale promotions and pick up a 3251 board from them .
Until recently I had planned on getting an Icepower board but then read of some cap failures people are having with them.

Thanks for the link Rob, I appreciate it.

By the way , there is zero hiss even with the Altima 3251 turned almost all the way up .
I forgot to mention this in my earlier post.
I might have to see if TI is running any more sale promotions and pick up a 3251 board from them .
Until recently I had planned on getting an Icepower board but then read of some cap failures people are having with them.

I agree with James. If you a want a real improvement with TPA32XX boards, best option is XRK Audio or 360 Customs but these amps are really expensive.
I wonder why the Chinese boards do not have PFFB on it... what a pity )
That being said, the Aiyima 3251 is a jewel for its price and you will hear a clear difference with the OP amps update.

Last edited:
opa12134

Hi,

New to this thread and thinking about modding my aiyima. Since there is a high chance that the opamps are fake, what about something simple, affordable and easy such as the OPA2134. I have not seen much discussion as a potential update to the ne5532.

The ne5532 in the Aiyima are more than likely counterfeits.The print of the logo in the package is sharp (good) but the casing is different to the originals I have seen around (not good). It seems that the fake has a notch on the end but original has a dimple. Or they may came from different fabs.

A Chinese site that can barely comprehend even with google at my side, has tested both and claimed that while at 1 kHz there is no difference, at a 10 kHz there is ( see the broken signal). It seems that fake are either relabeled inferior products (remarks) or plain fakes with a simpler and smaller wafer.
一分錢一分貨 - 勿買來路不明的零件 - 疑似假造的NE5532測試結果 (Dual Channel OPA) @ 不務正業的Marketing :: 痞客邦 ::

NE5532, a real one, properly implemented. its a great chip. And they are cheap. But if I have to upgrade them, I want something better yet I don't want to double to cost of the amp with some very expensive replacement opamps. And lets be real, if the compensation and filtering are poorly designed, no upgrade will make a miracle. I am not stating that is poorly made, but if you recall the Objective dac and headphone amps, NWAVGUY,,he demonstrated that basic opamps with good design could yield reference performance.

What about the OPA 2134. It seems that is almost a "universal" upgrade, with several post all around the forum like lineup #6 NE5532 or OPA2134 or dr mordor in this thread #70 TPA3251d2

Attachments

• fake ne5532.jpg
    fake ne5532.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 386
  • fakene5532.jpg
    fakene5532.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 389
Last edited:
Hi,

New to this thread and thinking about modding my aiyima. Since there is a high chance that the opamps are fake, what about something simple, affordable and easy such as the OPA2134. I have not seen much discussion as a potential update to the ne5532.

The ne5532 in the Aiyima are more than likely counterfeits.The print of the logo in the package is sharp (good) but the casing is different to the originals I have seen around (not good). It seems that the fake has a notch on the end but original has a dimple. Or they may came from different fabs.

A Chinese site that can barely comprehend even with google at my side, has tested both and claimed that while at 1 kHz there is no difference, at a 10 kHz there is ( see the broken signal). It seems that fake are either relabeled inferior products (remarks) or plain fakes with a simpler and smaller wafer.
一分錢一分貨 - 勿買來路不明的零件 - 疑似假造的NE5532測試結果 (Dual Channel OPA) @ 不務正業的Marketing :: 痞客邦 ::

NE5532, a real one, properly implemented. its a great chip. And they are cheap. But if I have to upgrade them, I want something better yet I don't want to double to cost of the amp with some very expensive replacement opamps. And lets be real, if the compensation and filtering are poorly designed, no upgrade will make a miracle. I am not stating that is poorly made, but if you recall the Objective dac and headphone amps, NWAVGUY,,he demonstrated that basic opamps with good design could yield reference performance.

What about the OPA 2134. It seems that is almost a "universal" upgrade, with several post all around the forum like lineup #6 NE5532 or OPA2134 or dr mordor in this thread #70 TPA3251d2

This is probably why we feel such an improvement when swithing the OP Amps of the Aiyima TPA32XX. As you can read, no need to spend so much for getting a great OP amps (OPA1656, OPA1627 OPA1622 and probably others) make a great update.

As you know, I also tested the Burson Audio V5i whose price is more expensive than that of the amp itself...(see my previous review)
Your analysis does not surprise me, the NE5532 are probably fake, I agree.

All that being said, I think for less than $100 with minor changes, The Aiyima TPA3251 (for the Tilear PCB version) sounds as good as some very very expansive amplifiers.

I will check the datasheets tonight. You want one of the dip packages. Name variation are also an indication of performance. Once the wafer is cut, the parts are tested and binned (aka separated) by performance specs. There is normally a part number with a higher performance, such as reduced noise. In all fairness they most likely are all the same but for fifty cents more I rather have the pick of the litter.

Thank you for the recent posts about opamps and the Ayima 3251 amp

I looked at Mouser.com and there are 7 variations of the OPA2134 Opamp; and 16 variations of the NE5532 Opamp.

Is there a particular letter version of the 2134 or 5532 that is preferred ?

Thanks

The Op-Amp comes in different packages - DIL, SOIC

It can be supplied as separate chips in a tube or on Tape for automatic insertion machines

And then there are various extra letters. Sometimes this is temperature ranges, automotive use or :-

The G4 and E4 suffixes were added for ROHS conversion. The
G4 and E4 parts are exactly the same as the original parts
without the G4 or E4 suffix.

For lead-frame-based devices, the RoHS-compliant solution
is backward-compatible with lead-based processes; so the
same part is shipped regardless of whether a unique part
number or a standard part number is ordered.

Lead-frame-based unique part numbers will consist of the
standard part number plus a two-character suffix (usually
E4 or G4, sometimes E3, E6, G3 or G6).

Different Quality selections (if available) are usually given completely different Part numbers rather than just a suffix. So if you buy a Texas Instruments NE5532 they should all be the same and meet the specifications on the datasheet.

Just be aware that this chip is also manufactured by other companies under license but they should all be much the same if they use the same die.

I am now using the OPA1656 on a DIL8 Adapter as a replacement for the NE5532. Generally to my ears at least it sounds better and is about 10 or 15 years newer as far as design goes. That said, the NE5532 has been used in almost every piece of audio equipment on the planet at some time !!

PS. I also have the Aiyima A04 3251 Amplifier and the OPA1656 Op-Amps work really well in this product.

Last edited:
What NE5532 , OPA2134 and OPA1656 version to use with the Aiyima

The ones I can see are better options on DIP for this application are NE5532AP (low noise guaranteed) , made by TI and the OPA2134PA made by TI.

The OPA1656 is a newer design, extremely cheap for the performance and they look great and according to the forum a suitable repalcement , but it is not available on DIP. They are surface mount; you need adapter and a decent soldering station. As far as I can see, the OPA1656IDR anf OPA1656ID are the same.

The ones I can see are better options on DIP for this application are NE5532AP (low noise guaranteed) , made by TI and the OPA2134PA made by TI.

The OPA1656 is a newer design, extremely cheap for the performance and they look great and according to the forum a suitable repalcement , but it is not available on DIP. They are surface mount; you need adapter and a decent soldering station. As far as I can see, the OPA1656IDR anf OPA1656ID are the same.

I believe the difference in the two OPA1656 options is that one is supplied on tape for automatic placement machines.

Hi Lee,

If you still have a channel open with them it would be great if you may ask them if they have any data on potential opamp replacements .

New to this thread. The fact that green is the only one available, is it good or bad news?
Tks.

We discussed with James about the Tilera VS green PCB. I would say that the Tilear (black) one seems better.(you can get it via Amazon) They are different in some points. Tilear is using full Elna Audio grade caps and also some other differences take a look here as well :

test.jpg