2x100W TPA3116D2 (2 chips, each in PBTL)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,

Among all the TPA3116D2 hype I've seen many single-chip stereo and mono boards (2x50W or 1x100W) as well as dual-chip 2.1 boards (2x50W + 1x100W).

I don't really need a sub but I'd like to have some extra power for peaks, especially when driving 8ohm speakers. What do you guys think about this board?

2 100W TPA3116 D2 Dual Channel Digital Audio Amplifier Board 12V 24V for Arduino | eBay

Does it look like I can get decent quality or would it be more advisable to get one of the well known boards in the wiki?

Thanks!

Yeah, I couldn't help myself and ordered one too. For the price it's not a big deal if it ends up sucking.

I found that the ebay seller has an online store that looks kind of sketchy but has even better prices... I found this for around $5:

2*100W TPA3116 D2 Dual Channel Digital Audio Amplifier Board 12V-24V for Arduino

The title and description are the same as on ebay, but the pictures are not of a TPA3116D2 amp.
I don't know what to make of it. I wonder which is wrong, pictures or description?

I'm just going to leave the link here in case anyone wants to take the chance ;)

Hi guys,

Among all the TPA3116D2 hype I've seen many single-chip stereo and mono boards (2x50W or 1x100W) as well as dual-chip 2.1 boards (2x50W + 1x100W).

I don't really need a sub but I'd like to have some extra power for peaks, especially when driving 8ohm speakers. What do you guys think about this board?

2 100W TPA3116 D2 Dual Channel Digital Audio Amplifier Board 12V 24V for Arduino | eBay

Does it look like I can get decent quality or would it be more advisable to get one of the well known boards in the wiki?

Thanks!

Wow, it is crazily cheap. Even cheaper than the regular stereo board with one chip!!!

Last edited:

For 8ohm speakers , you can hardly gain any extra power. These PBTL amp works best with low impedance speakers less than 4ohm.
May be you can drive the amp at higher voltage to get extra wattts

Anyway, I'm too are curious about this board.

I have the 2x100W amp. They sound decent enough and quire reliable. They don't have the turn on/turn off pop.
For USD11, they are good value. Not as clean as the Gmarsh Wiener of course but good enough for a portable battery powered setup if that's what you want to use it for.

2x100watts tpa3116d2

I have bought several. The sound is textbook tpa3116, though not as bass heavy as the blue/black boards.
The screw terminals are junk. I remove them and hard wire the connections.
The 3.5mm audio jack is delicate and will not withstand regular use.
The heatsinks are attached by dabs of foam. I just pull the heatsinks off, remove the goo, and use epoxy to securely attach them. They are adequate for loads down to four ohms. For two ohm loads, I augment them with additional heatsinks.
In short, I bought a couple and was so pleased I bought a bunch more.
The extra power is noticeable, and with a few mods, they are my new favorite amp. They make the ammoblasters boom!

Attachments

• 20150506_193610.jpg
    20150506_193610.jpg
    807.2 KB · Views: 1,944
  • 20150705_202435.jpg
    20150705_202435.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 1,860
I have bought several. The sound is textbook tpa3116, though not as bass heavy as the blue/black boards.
The screw terminals are junk. I remove them and hard wire the connections.
The 3.5mm audio jack is delicate and will not withstand regular use.
The heatsinks are attached by dabs of foam. I just pull the heatsinks off, remove the goo, and use epoxy to securely attach them. They are adequate for loads down to four ohms. For two ohm loads, I augment them with additional heatsinks.
In short, I bought a couple and was so pleased I bought a bunch more.
The extra power is noticeable, and with a few mods, they are my new favorite amp. They make the ammoblasters boom!

are the large caps on the board any good? If you replace them, what do you use?
Thank you.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.