$30 tpa3116; bluetooth; speaker protection; eq Any good?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
I've been eyeing this amplifier board for some time now.

TPA3116 LM1036 Bluetooth Receiver 4 0 50W 50W Amplifier Board Speaker Protecte | eBay

At only $30, it looks like a steal. Wondering about quality and what kind of quality to expect from the bluetooth. Anybody have any experience with this board or one similar?

Here's a link to the bluetooth module used in the board:

DIY Module KRC 86B Bluetooth 4 0 Stereo Audio Receiver Module | eBay

Any input what so ever would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Nicholas

Just received mine today (after a lot of waiting, but that may have been because we decided to sell house and move shortly after I bought this...)

Sound is excellent (for the money, seems better than the YJ 2.1 board, but haven't done too much comparison yet), however volume is set by bluetooth so has very coarse stepping (i guess dependent on source). I was hoping the 3.5mm socket may have been for a line in, but it appears to be a line out only. Not too much documentation around (not that I've done too much searching yet...)

PS. Beware of initial sound volume. I powered it with a 12v adapter, once I figured out that you need to press and hold the MFB button for pairing it was plain sailing, but I didn't quite expect the full volume. Should have checked I guess...

Anyway I am very happy with what this little board does. May try it with 19v laptop adapter (8-26v) and possibly modding for on-board volume control.

I recently purchased a TPA3116 Bluetooth Amplifier Board Class D 50W+50W Receiver Amp Board from Ebay. The board came from China, and came pretty quick. A couple of things. The board is blue tooth audio only. There is no 3.5mm jack, no switches or push buttons. Everything controlled from my bluetooth device. When I first plugged the unit in, I only had a 15.7v power supply. I could hear the speakers pop at power up, but no bluetooth signal. I've since found an old laptop power supply at 18.5 volts and that works just fine. (I did figure out the original ad called for Operating voltage: DC18V to DC24V, my bad.)

I'm using this with a pair of Bose outdoor 4 ohm speakers. I'm using my iPhone as a sound source. I can easily change content, volume and digital audio equalization via the phone.

There is one issue of concern. When ever the music is paused, you can hear a very noticeable hiss / fuzz noise, and you realize that is playing when ever the music is playing as well. Not sure what can be done with this. I'm guessing there some key capacitor filters missing somewhere in the design. I would love to know if this can be fixed (and that's why I signed up for this forum!)

LB,
Las Vegas Nevada, USA

Once again I learn you get what you pay for:)

In short: Consider staying away from these TPA3116 LM1036 KRC-86b Bluetooth 4.0 CSR8630 all-in-one type boards unless you really only want an OK amp board w/tone controls. And somewhat noisy, lower-fidelity Bluetooth capabilities.
You may wind up wondering what your time is worth & wishing you bought separate, better implementations of the features:)

In long: I'd gotten in my head I wanted to DIY a Li-ion Bluetooth "Boombox" with larger bass driver than many/most commercial offerings. Something approaching Marshall's nice units with their single "large" / 5 1/2" (?) bass driver + separate tweets. Since separation didn't matter much here, I picked up a 6 1/2" single point stereo driver. More about that in another thread.

To the point, WRT this/these cheap boards pluses & minuses:
+ they function
- they appear to be designed like this: Start with something like a reference implementation then subtract as many parts as possible such that it still "works". Use cheapest parts available / on hand at the moment.
- switch is a mute switch, it does not power off any of the circuits.
- autoselects Bluetooth input if paired device is in range (I hacked a "fix" for this)
- digital hash / noise in Bluetooth feeds (my changes help some). Much(?) lower fidelity for Bluetooth feed, though some of that is probably inherent in the protocol.
- short Bluetooth range, fixed w/32mm wire antenna trick
- much more

Anyway, having bought it, reviewed the parts & implementation vs spec saw lots of deviations. Absent parts, wrong value/type of part, silly mismatched parts (e.g. interstage coupling: 1uf for Right, 2.2uf for Left), etc. Made a list of minimum changes, see before & after pics.
First 3 photos are before mods, last 3 after mods.

Attachments

• comboBoard_orig_1.jpg
    comboBoard_orig_1.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 1,784
  • comboBoard_orig_2.jpg
    comboBoard_orig_2.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 1,732
  • comboBoard_orig_3.jpg
    comboBoard_orig_3.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 1,719
  • comboBoard_mod_1.jpg
    comboBoard_mod_1.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 1,725
  • comboBoard_mod_2.jpg
    comboBoard_mod_2.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 1,726
  • comboBoard_mod_3.jpg
    comboBoard_mod_3.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 514
Last edited:
> I like the caps within the heatsink.

Thanks. That was tricky. The local PVCC decoupling electrolytics called for in the "typical application" were absent.

> What problems with "fidelity" occur with this BT-module? Noise/Hiss only?

No. Besides background digital / BT comm noise & elevated hiss found BT frequency response a bit limited compared to same device fed through the RCAs. Playback through BT was less crisp. Will probably use RCAs whenever possible.

BTW think the BT noise problems may be due to proximity of components / ground pollution / no isolation between BT, tone & amp stages.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I just ordered one of these Sanwu with BT 4.0 and built in mic and volume/start/stop/next track buttons. I have good experience with Sanwu Blue PBTL 3118 board so expect this one to be pretty decent sounding. Only $13.

Wireless Digital Bluetooth 4.0 TPA3116 50W+50W Audio Receiver Amplifier Board With Mic Free Shipping-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

526192d1453259617-30-tpa3116-bluetooth-speaker-protection-eq-any-good-sanwu-bt-3116.png

Does not appear to have a line input though, and no speaker protection relay, but my experience with Sanwu boards is they take care of the thump via logic on the amp.

Attachments

• Sanwu-BT-3116.png
    Sanwu-BT-3116.png
    617.5 KB · Views: 2,292
Last edited:
Curious what others think of BT vs Line-in for this board

Thanks xrk... I didn't do much homework WRT choices for my project, picked the board based on features + price because its "just" a boombox.

And maybe I was a bit harsh on the board. As jurjenh relates, even stock it doesn't sound bad for a board at its price w/tone stage + amp esp. if you disregard its BT. And some other things like distance between pots, no mounting holes, no power off switch, no BT disable...

Curious what others like jurjenh have to say about their direct comparisons of line-in vs BT for this board & its cousins (e.g. the 2.1 variant). And KRC-86b BT module performance when properly isolated (separate PS, etc).

Hello.
I've bought a Nobsound boxed amplifier, I believe the same you show in pictures.
Not even discussing about sound quality, I would be happy to limit the effect of the worst two issues I have found right away:
- pop sound whenever you turn PSU on, with front switch On. Basically not the pop that is awful, more the effect that the pop causes into speakers. Woofer start pushing hard whenever it occurs. Similar whenever you have a PSU not able to cope with the required amps. I'm thinking that the opo actually is not that healthy to our speakers, definitelly. I heard about doing a short between - of RCA's and - of PSU would fix it. Have you tried?
- hiss noise with bluetooth connected. With volume up or down, with our without sound, it makes hiss noise and worst is not stable.

I saw that you made a lot of changes into the circuit, mainly adding more items and also replacing some others. I'm not a big expert on soldering neither with electronics, but I would be happy to maximize efficiency of this amplifier. Efficiency, I mean, quality, noises and pop's...

Are you able to share more details about the changes performed?

Thanks in advance,
Nuno Barros

I just ordered one of these Sanwu with BT 4.0 and built in mic and volume/start/stop/next track buttons. I have good experience with Sanwu Blue PBTL 3118 board so expect this one to be pretty decent sounding. Only $13.

Wireless Digital Bluetooth 4.0 TPA3116 50W+50W Audio Receiver Amplifier Board With Mic Free Shipping-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

526192d1453259617-30-tpa3116-bluetooth-speaker-protection-eq-any-good-sanwu-bt-3116.png

Does not appear to have a line input though, and no speaker protection relay, but my experience with Sanwu boards is they take care of the thump via logic on the amp.

Nice little amp. This one in my link shown has a line input but it's an extra 3$..LOL It looks like an identical board except for the line input.

Free Shipping Digital Bluetooth 4.0 TPA3116 Audio Receiver Power Amplifier Board 2x50W 24V/3A-in Other Consumer Electronics from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

I will be ordering one.

Thanks for the heads up.

BR,
Eric

Last edited:
Think fixing BT noise problems w/"my" board is not feasible

Hello.
I've bought a Nobsound boxed amplifier, I believe the same you show in pictures.
- pop sound whenever you turn PSU on, with front switch On. <snip>
- hiss noise with bluetooth connected. With volume up or down, with our without sound, it makes hiss noise and worst is not stable.

WRT to pop w/pwr on - Resign yourself to powering on & off as two-switch actions, using existing mute switch in conjunction w/power switch. I don't plan to try to solve that, I'll have 3 switches on my build: main power, existing mute switch & BT power on/off (make/break switch for its LM7805 input leg - you could accomplish same in easier ways but I care about draw as this will in a battery powered rig).

WRT BT noise - Convinced noise is ground contamination and/or proximity of BT module to LM1036/tone circuit. None of my mods, including a bent up grounded steel shield, did much if anything to reduce BT noise. Resigning myself to using RCA whenever possible & put up with BT noise when necessary, at least its only noticeable in the quietest music passages.

General sound quality wise, I'd say most improvement of my mods came from replacing the various 1uf/2.2uf electrolytic coupling cans with WIMA MKS02 1uF 50V 2.5mm pitch films (the red-orange boxes). Note the somewhat low PCB quality makes re-work harder than most, take care WRT trace & pad lifting.

Again think going [proven] separates is a better route, incorporating PS isolation & some distance between modules. Or only purchasing stuff used/reviewed/recommended by reliable sources.

BTW that module xrk & e_fortier refer too looks very similar to the one talked about here. But we know not to infer things across similar implementations, they must be identical to known/recommended ones.

What do you think of it? I just received mine and the sound stinks compared to an analog line in on other boards.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member

This amp just arrived - hooked it up to speakers and 12v smps. Very simple to connect to iPhone (Sanwu Bluetooth is name of device). Sounds excellent - no BT radio noise or buzzing at all. Great workmanship - clean solder joints and nice components. No turn on thump.

Highly recommended. No line in via wires though. Works as speakerphone too.

533304d1456274757-30-tpa3116-bluetooth-speaker-protection-eq-any-good-sanwu-3116-bt.png

Attachments

• Sanwu-3116-BT.PNG
    Sanwu-3116-BT.PNG
    622.6 KB · Views: 1,607
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.