200W IRS2092 Amp for $20

Yes it costs 46 RMB more (< 8 US$) for a pair, but it is a proven board by LJM and a number of people on this forum have provided favourable reviews on this board. Interestingly, no SMD (I think) all through hole components.

Perhaps a big cause of the cost up is all those OSCONs? I agree, looks very nice. I prefer SMT though.

No SMT here except for the IRS2092 itself which sits beneath the board.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I have been thinking of getting a pair of IRS2092 amps andhave my eyes set on this
L20D ¶¥¼¶Êý×Ö¹¦·Å³ÉÆ·°å 200-250W *2 8Å· IRAUDAMP7 IRS2092-ÌÔ±¦Íø

Yes it costs 46 RMB more (< 8 US$) for a pair, but it is a proven board by LJM and a number of people on this forum have provided favourable reviews on this board. Interestingly, no SMD (I think) all through hole components.

Regards,

That looks very nice. Only $8? I don't know if buying from Taobao is easy though. Now that I have an account in Aliexpress it is pretty easy. Always free shipping.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Perhaps a big cause of the cost up is all those OSCONs? I agree, looks very nice. I prefer SMT though.

No SMT here except for the IRS2092 itself which sits beneath the board.

SMT allows the shortest paths and lowest stray capacitances and inductances I guess. The parts are also cheaper than thru hole. I just have to use binocular magnifiers though.

The title amp is all SMT except for the main mosfet.

SMT allows the shortest paths and lowest stray capacitances and inductances I guess. The parts are also cheaper than thru hole. I just have to use binocular magnifiers though.

The title amp is all SMT except for the main mosfet.

It is interesting that you mentioned that. LJM (he has a thread on this amp in this forum) mentioned that he purposely designed this board not using SMD but thru holes and ran into a lot of problems. Obviously he solved all the issues. He does have a few other IRS2092 boards that use mainly SMD and cost more, not cheaper!

Buying direct from TB these day is fairly straightforward. Anyway, these boards are on sale on EBAY too, but watch out for copy cats. Recently, I found that for ane item that is on sale on EB, Aliexpress and TB, the listed price are very similar (taking exchange rate into consideration). Used to be cheaper on TB, not anymore. Thus, not much initiative to buy from TB now. I like to buy from Aliexpress too.

Regards,

Having looked at the DS - its a self-oscillating design and operates single ended. The ICs (TPA3116, TDA7492) are clocked designs and they operate bridged. Seems to me its rather a big challenge to get a self-oscillating design to work in bridged - even nCores aren't bridged.

So lack of bridged means the design needs to have balanced rails.

Some ICEPower amps are designed as bridged, and are self-oscillating. Example: 200ASC.

Though with that Abeltec supply at that price, I can't see much reason to worry about needing dual rail.

Has anyone mated this amp with the Abelec? I have about 6 of the supplies squirreled away, haven't tried any yet.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Some ICEPower amps are designed as bridged, and are self-oscillating. Example: 200ASC.

Though with that Abeltec supply at that price, I can't see much reason to worry about needing dual rail.

Has anyone mated this amp with the Abelec? I have about 6 of the supplies squirreled away, haven't tried any yet.

My Abletecs should be here in a few days so I will test and report back. I really could use a 200w power resistor. Maybe some lightbulbs can work - need at least 4ohms though, preferable 8. Otherwise testing 200 w on real speakers is noisy work.

Lightbulbs are highly nonlinear as loads. You could use some single cup beverage heaters in parallel - I got one to test as a dummy load from a '2 yuan' shop nearby, it measures about 50ohm but I'm on 220V. Seeing as you'll be on 110V if you get some of these they'll be (assuming the same 1kW rating) about 12ohms, so three of them in parallel should be able to handle any amp you care to buy.

<edit> I had a quick look on Amazon for an example but mostly the mains powered ones are 300W which is too wimpy. There are some in-car ones but I can't see any wattage rating for them.

Last edited:
My Abletecs should be here in a few days so I will test and report back. I really could use a 200w power resistor. Maybe some lightbulbs can work - need at least 4ohms though, preferable 8. Otherwise testing 200 w on real speakers is noisy work.

Hmm. The "specs" on the amp (such as they are) say "8A" max. So it will give only 200W at 4 ohm load (before..? Limiting, exploding?), so hold back on the drive when running the Abeltec and 4ohms with it. The 56V supplies could give current peak of 16A.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Lightbulbs are highly nonlinear as loads. You could use some single cup beverage heaters in parallel - I got one to test as a dummy load from a '2 yuan' shop nearby, it measures about 50ohm but I'm on 220V. Seeing as you'll be on 110V if you get some of these they'll be (assuming the same 1kW rating) about 12ohms, so three of them in parallel should be able to handle any amp you care to buy.

<edit> I had a quick look on Amazon for an example but mostly the mains powered ones are 300W which is too wimpy. There are some in-car ones but I can't see any wattage rating for them.

Thanks for the tip on resistive cup heaters.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member