New Hypex UcD400HG build - best practices?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello.

First DIY amp assembly for me. I bought two UcD400HG modules with HxR and two SMPS400A400 to build two monoblocks. This is in the context of building an active system and DIY speaker, so the monoblocks might end up sitting in the rack, or behind the speakers on the floor, or attached/inside the speaker "box". So I will build temporary enclosures until I can test the alternatives and decide. Yet I don't want to limit the monoblock performance by building them in a suboptimal manner.

Hence my request for feedback about best practices to keep in mind.

EMI/RFI: the manual says the design has very low EMI, yet I've seen posts where experienced users suggested a metalic barrier/screen between the SMPS module and the UcD module. Good practice? I have a sheet of thin mu metal. Good idea? Or go with thicker aluminum or steel?
I also have some 3M RFI absorbing paper left.

Should the whole casing be metallic? If I want to shield EMI/RFI, shouldn't I do that around the module? Originally I was hoping for a wooden case with an aluminum side plate to aid in dissipating heat from the UcD.

Cooling: I was thinking of having significant ventilation through either many holes on the top and bottom plate, or a big cutout and a mesh to prevent things getting in. But then I get back to EMI/RFI. What has been your experience?
I plan to install the UcD modules vertically for improved passive cooling.

What aspects am I missing? Would really appreciate feedback!

Thanks!!

Should the whole casing be metallic? If I want to shield EMI/RFI, shouldn't I do that around the module? Originally I was hoping for a wooden case with an aluminum side plate to aid in dissipating heat from the UcD.

I went through the Hypex paper called "UcD and EMI". Bruno is adamant about no needing a metallic enclosure for this. Good.

Anybody has a point of view regarding RFI?

I have a couple more Hypex papers to go through, but they don't seem to address this.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.