Ebay cheap TDA7498 boards

Status
Not open for further replies.
now I have received the module:
tested it with a thinkpad notebook power supply (16V): very clear sound, i'm missing the bass (on 4 Ohm subwoofer + satellites). It seems to be a 2.1 mm/5mm socket, so the 2.5/5mm mm plug of the ibm power supply is a bit loose.
AutoTech, 14-39V according to the st-data sheet, but 39V not recommended, there is also another thread on the power supplies here. No hum with my thinkpad power supply, so a good notebook power supply should be ok.

Last edited:
In the meantime I have testet this cheap tda7498 module with two 4 Ohm speaker systems: Sony ss-sw1 (passive subwoofer + 2 satellites) and wigo A11 http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/wigo2_a11.html?language_id=2 (good old German speakers from the 70's, which sounds ok with my TEAC Hifi). The basses are totally missing, probably due to the output filter.
Not suitable to 4 Ohm speakers!

Last edited:
I bought these from Aliexpress
90437ac38e535960c974bb1616932167.jpg

Homemade eBay TDA7498 portable speakers from 12v

Hi guys,

I finished my PAM8610 portable speaker system and it is good enough for quiet listening but needed a little extra power for the shed, garden etc.

This is my build of my portable speaker system based on the eBay TDA7498 100w x 2 module.

Also included is a modified/homemade SMPS power for powering from 12v Li-Po's.

Take a look Here

Any questions, my email address is on the bottom of the page.

Thanks for looking!

I have one of these on the way too (paid $12.67 during the 11.11 sale on Aliexpress) along with this PSU which I got for $18.65 including shipping. Will be fun to see what such cheap parts can do with my Q Acoustics 2050i speakers. :)
Btw. the impedance of the speakers is rated 6Ω nominal (4Ω minimum). Does that call for any mods?

I finally got around to test the above amp + psu and thought I would share my initial listening impressions. Compared to the credit card sized Sure TPA3110 and this TPA3116 (unmodded) I have at home also it definitely packs a bigger punch. It's a clear winner in terms of bass and volume. Highs are not as great as my TPA3110/3116's though (at least not without mods), to my ears they are a bit grainier and sharp in comparison. I also have some static noise when the volume knob goes past 1/3. The noise strangely peaks at around 3/4 volume and then decreases a bit when I turn the volume all the way up. I should mention that I have a static noise problem with my TPA3116 amp also and the TDA7498 is actually not worse. Overall I'm quite impressed with what I got for about 30 bucks and I would actually be happy to fire my speakers up with this at a party. For relaxed listening at lower volumes my battery powered TPA3110 is still my preferred cheap class D amp though.

last weekend we built two new cubo12 for our outdoor party machinery.
that board is a good and inexpensive amplifier for those.
we tried our setup with a smps and got similar noise.
when we hooked sla-batteries to the amp, all noise was gone and the punch was even better.
i'm still not 100% sure with the comparison between TDA749x and TPA311x.
i like both.
but i have to admit that i like the extra-spl that the 7498 provides for my woofers.

I have at home also it definitely packs a bigger punch. It's a clear winner in terms of bass and volume. I also have some static noise when the volume knob goes past 1/3.

very helpful comment, I need little more power with my tda7297 in my bedroom but this is dead silent..., running with my 13V astron linear PS.

I am wondering whether the static will be noticeable about 5 ft away from my speakers (90dB)...

i don't think they are better.
their magnetic fields might influence each other more than horizontal built ones.
(someone please correct me if i'm wrong)
There has been a discussion about inductor alignment in the tpa3116 thread.
downside if those inductors On chinese boards is that you have no idea if their value until you hold the board in your own hands.
those big inductors might have higher saturation currents, but that's worthless if the inductance Dosen't fit the filter.
a board with smd inductors is easier to mod imo as i have found good inductors only in smd packages.
i have one if those more expensive boards.
compared to the cheap black board it is NOT worth the money.

Anyone experiences loud turn-on pop with these?

I bought one (cheap, black version) of these TDA7498 boards.

However, connected to a laptop "brick" (20V), I hear a very loud turn-on pop when turning on the power...

Anyone have any ideas how one could implement a delay circuit on these?

I used a simple diode + capacitor + resistor delay circuit for my TPA3116, as found in the TPA3116 thread here, but I'm at a loss with this one.... I should probably scrape some varnish off to see the traces - but all components are SMD :(

I can provide a larger, more detailed photo, if needed...

TIA,

Denis

Attachments

• TDA7498-1.JPG
    TDA7498-1.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 1,836
  • TDA7498.JPG
    TDA7498.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 1,825
I have a version with larger, taller smd inductors which sounds good even at max volume. I think the saturation is the biggest concern if you often use all of the amps power regularly. If the inductors core material doesn't match the switching frequency the amps usally go into protection. I know cause I tried making my own with wrong inductor core material :( It measured fine with my inductor meter (which used a too low test frequency) but didn't work at all. Tested on a tpa3116 board btw..
If you try to buy larger aftermarket inductors they always cost more than the boards mention here, atleast on eBay.. So paying a 3-5 usd more for better inductors is a bargain! In my experience boards with larger inductors always sound way cleaner at moderate to high volume. Shielded inductors is ofc best but I haven't noticed any sound problems with unshielded toroids either :)

Status
Not open for further replies.