Pascal Class D

I have a D-Sonic M3-800S with the Pascal MPRO2 module. Overall I like the way it sounds very much and think it's the best class d amplifier I've heard so far. Far outclassing my ICEPower 125asx2 and my Class D Audio SDS-254.

The module seems to run quite warm to the touch as evident by the huge heatsink used in D-Sonic's design. I'm guessing it's due to the fact that they are capable of so much power? I really don't know as I'm not technical at all.

The impression I'm getting from the sound is well rounded. It has plenty of low end grunt and is spot on in the vocals. The amplifier gives adequate space to each instrument without getting all jumbled. I will note that the bass is extremely tight and tuneful; never sounding flabby or bloated.Imaging and separation are spot on as well, fully fleshing out what's on the recording both in width and depth of presentation.

As far as I can tell, it's a stock Pascal module with the exception of D-Sonic's own input buffer. I should also note that the amplifier seems somewhat difficult to drive. Passive preamplifiers need not apply here. In my case, it has taken an active preamplifier capable of outputting a robust signal to get the most of this amp.

Oh, and it responds very well to cable changes. So those of you who believe in the whole hifi cable thing like I do, go ahead and give it a try. They open up nicely with the full treatment.

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents. Overall, I think it's a great sounding amplifier and for the money spent I couldn't be happier.

-Steven

They DO get quite good press around, and out of the box the are well worth a listen.

The biggest problem with mod's are that you only have a many leg component plug , and NO idea what is what ;) ( not so much documentation on the Home Page )

I would love to be able to play with different front stages ( and no at all )

- R.

Thus taken from the miniDSP website

" The PWR-DSP1 answers the needs for a high power yet high quality plate amplifier module. Based on the synergetic and innovative technology from DSP4YOU and PASCAL Audio, the module is a turnkey solution for multi-way powered speakers."

The lower powered amps are IcePower.

Our company makes PA systems based on Pascal's modules under our own Clarus brand, ever since the modules first became available. We have so far used all of their modules save the smallest 2x500W one. We are now in our 4th year of production and overall it's been a great experience, so far we had only two failures, both due to misuse on the end-user side (like mains AC passing through the input ground line, and someone connecting the module to 380VAC power!).
We have also developed two different front ends, one for our own purposes (balanced input into 2-way crossover with equalization for our own speakers), and one more universal to be used with the DSP module. The latter offers an analog bypass path for an external processor.
Having well over a decade of experience with various other modules and class D products (ever since they became available in PA applications), Pascal is definitely in the top end as far as audio quality goes. That being said, the real plus for a systems integrator is how well their own on-board management is done. The modules do an excellent job of their own housekeeping, and give a lot of info on what's going on via the various monitoring signals on the interface connector. The integrated PSU also offers soft power limiting which is very unobtrusive.

As far as general use goes, they do need cooling. On the 2x800W module you can get away with an aluminium rack enclosure for full range music, however if you are running subs, something more substantial is in order. Pascal's datasheets are very helpful. One note however - there is one error which has been present from the start - the protection status output has no current limiting resistor in line, and unlike other status pins cannot drive a LED directly, an external current limit resistor has to be fitted (680 ohms typical).

The DSP module offered by Pascal is not of their own design, and here there seems to have been a misunderstanding between the Pascal engineers and the DSP module supplier. The module works well enough but it connects several of Pascal's monitor outputs (such as output voltage and current monitor pins) to digital input pins on the DSP board, which include pull-ups to 3.3V and clamping protectiion diodes, so these will not operate correctly if the DSP board is connected with the supplied cable. Unlike Pascal who have been very responsive to feedback, the DSP supplier has not seen fit to address any of these sohortcomings.

If you need more info, please feel free to Pm me, I will do my best to answer.

Last edited:
I am not sure what either of you mean. Passive pre-amplifier is an oxymoron. If it is a pre-amplifier, it must be active.

Well a pre-amp is something that goes in front of an amplifier not necessarily itself an amplifier.

Typically it will provide switching, attenuation and buffering. In these days of line level signals rather than phono it doesn't have to provide any amplification in many systems so a passive design is possible.